Correct the flight models of....... suggestions

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by looseleaf, Jan 6, 2007.

1. gonads

gonads Well-Known Member

I can't see how hard that would be. There are many file hosting sites around where the info can be uploaded, and the link posted in the forum.

2. Rainer

Rainer Well-Known Member

I have always agreed that the FM isn't very 'realistic'. However, what is 'realistic' to some, isn't to others. Also, how realistic are Japanese planes in the European theater? German and Russian planes in the Pacific theater? Jeeps that you can't steer without a keyboard command? How about a realistic arena where once you are shot down/killed, you can't fly again for the rest of the T.O.D. (unless a new war starts) And while we're on that subject, if reds or golds win the war, why doesn't a new T.O.D. start? Instead of 20 wars during a single T.O.D.?

The burning question is, HOW MUCH 'REALISM' IS ENOUGH TO SATISFY EVERYONE?

3. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

who is this "we" you are speaking for?

who agrees with what?

what is "historical fact"?

4. --q---

--q--- Well-Known Member

Please correct the compressibility problem in fw190. As far as I know there is no information that backs this move of developers to make so much compressibility in 190. I hope it was just a side effect of decreasing elevator authority that backfired into severe compressibility. It is so ironical now that 109k4 has better high speed performance then Dora, at least I fill that way and prefer to fly k4 late in the war. I certainly would like to hear what sources devs used.

The other issue is the turn performance of Dora. This plane had the same wing as A series, yet it was LIGHTER then A8 and had more powerful engine. According to wikipedia it had better turn performance. Anyone who flies 190s knows that Dora is a brick compared to A8 turning. Dora was designed to kill fighters.

Dora is so under modeled now that it is almost painful. It is much worse then A8 when slow and when one decides to fly it fast it appears that one can?t aim because of compressibility. It is worse then many planes that were reported to have serious compressibility problems.

5. -kopi-

-kopi- Well-Known Member

Yup dora is a brick. I chose a8 insted becouse it handels better at all speeds.

6. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

And when you find a car racing simulation that feels just like driving a real car, let me know....

With your logic golds should never win a TOD.

And I thought (as in "was in believe") that BMW did quite good in US car races in the time M3/M5 were firstly introduced...

7. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

8. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

Dora is good only in running now.

9. Jeruwa

Jeruwa Well-Known Member

actually it is too slow to run ^^

10. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Well, the always outrun me just fine. :turret:

Anyway, in which FH version did they nerf the Dora?

11. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

With a name like "Gandhi" I would imagine you would know the answer.

"Happines is a deep well, my son."

"The Tiger has claws because the butterfly has wings"

"My, the strawberries are sweet."

12. looseleaf

And when you find a flight sim. that "feels" realistic, please let me know.

The Trans-Am series was for American made sedans of the "pony car class".

The Bmw's did not race in that series.

13. looseleaf

Yes, I agree with you 100%;

Jap planes in Euro. theatre, German planes in Pacific, German aircraft carriers, 20mm ack jeeps with typewriter commands, no limits of being killed....
    ...very "unrealistic" indeed.

Also having to destroy the field completely in order to close it and capture it without having to blast the town and troops/commandos that don't shoot but just take the tower.

But that's not what I'm talking about, at least here and now.

The discussion is what do the players recommend and what do the players know to be historical flight models and the FMs RELATIVE to each other.

We "fly" each plane because it represents a historical, factual, REAL machine.

If you get into a 190 you would expect that it have 190 performance just like or very close to what you've read or been told.

Same for the guy that jumps into a Spit or P51 or B17 or Ju88 or Bf110...etc.

As some models are sped-up or slowed down in the interest of "even playing field" , I say there has got to be another way to "even things out". IF that is really an objective.

If we've got Jap planes in Europe and German/Russian planes in Pacific, then why not let any side use any plane as in Aces High?

I say bring the FM to their historical relative performance envelopes.

If you've got P51 slower than Beaufighters, super Spits, Super Ju88, Super 110, Super fireproof Jap planes, super 30mm and not so super 37mm...
    P38 with P-fator and way too slow..... and you don't do anything about or you like it that way, or for whatever reason....
    ...then call the game something else, but NOT a WW2 simulation, a online flying sim that mentions WW2.

If we had a football online game based on real teams and the real players, you would expect a famous quarterback to play like he does/did in real life.

Now you would call the plays and run the players but they would act and play like their real life models in order to be a simulation. You would expect no less.
    You chose the Steelers and you expect to play with players that are characteristic of the Steelers of that time period.

14. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

@looseleaf: Porsche and Datsun did...

:D

And I was merely replaying your

"Some of us out here want to "fly" the plane that our fathers/grandfathers/mothers/grandmothers/uncles/aunts/brothers/sister/friends/
    heroes flew.....
    ...so we get in those planes only to find out they act and drive like something else...... NOT what the history books and personal accounts told us."

That gave me an impression that you're after the right "feel" of planes.

15. Rainer

Rainer Well-Known Member

I would agree if, within the context of this being a 'simulator', everyone could agree. However, what feels 'realistic' to one pilot might be WAYYYYYY off to another. For instance, some golds think that recovering from a spin in a 109 is easy, while others think it used to be easier, and since that's what they are using as a benchmark, are they wrong? The only input we have as pilots are our control surfaces. Is there anyone among FH pilots who has flown enough in real life to say "in 109 spin, input rudder this much, reduce throttle this much, counteract spin with ailerons this much" and that should be the threshold? If I read that a 190 has an excellent rate of roll, what does that mean? Excellent compared to a Storch? Compared to a P51? How does anyone here KNOW just how much the 190 should respond?

I don't, for one, think things should be even. WTF is that? If that's the case, make ONE plane, disguise it as all the planes in the RPS, and we'll all be equal. How fucking boring. LOL

We all know what would happen, skies filled with Spitfires and Russian bombers. YAWN!!!!!!!

I would expect him to be able to throw the ball as far/hard as he did in real life, run as fast etc, but I would expect to have to make the decisions myself correctly, and be as accurate as he was in real life. That's where MANY FH pilots fail. It's the whole 'because I said so' mentality. If they can prove that in 1 out of 234,982,434 historical sorties that a Fw190 A8/R8 outturned a Spitfire and got a kill, then they think it should happen ALWAYS.

Please understand, I am not arguing with you. I think we agree on almost everything here. And while I'd like to see the planes more 'realistically' modelled, there will always be arguments about whether or not they are. I do think a comprehensive approach to each plane SHOULD be taken, and then, with the help of testing, perhaps a team of both red and gold players, and serious polls the planes should be voted on, then LEFT ALONE.

16. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

No serious modification to FH was ever even announced at this forum. If anything it's in the russian section, hidden somwhere among that gibberish they call letters (hey, no disrespect here, it just looks plain silly :p). Before the FH "pilots" can even think about influencing the FH development, the attitude of the developers would have to change. I mean the fuck-them-they'll-play-anyway-'cause-it's-free-so-we-don't-give-a-shit-about-their-input attitude. Anyone has an idea how to change that?

Oh and don't worry, that commie bastard exec has me ignored, so he won't feel offended :p

17. gonads

gonads Well-Known Member

The only way to do that would be for all of us to stop playing the game. You certainly have to question the logic of the developers when, just a couple of years ago there were hundreds of players online. I wish I was around back then to see that!! The battles would have been magnificent to see!! If they keep doing what they do with fuck-all thought for the anybody but themselves, all there will be at FreeHost will be the developers and the Sibeerian Cheating Fuckers.

18. Vlamik

Vlamik Well-Known Member

Simple: they've killed their own creation, unfortunately...:(

19. Rainer

Rainer Well-Known Member

cc they are victims of themselves

20. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

Just like Jesus.

1 person likes this.