Guitar Heads: (this is actually a serious thread for once)

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -afi--, Dec 7, 2004.

1. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I'm on the search for a new head for my guitar.

Right now I'm playing a Peavey 4x12 and a Crate 80 watt 1x12 Combo Amp that powers it, all with a Gibson Les Paul behind it.

I'm selling off that Crate 80 watt for $250 and I have probably another 300 to put towards the head.

What do any of you who play guitar recommend to invest in that would be good for playing Hardcore. Emphasis on the good for hardcore. I need at least 100 watts to power this thing full through.

I was thinking a Marshal JCM800? Or a 5150? Thing is I don't know how much these run for. Suggestions on what model guitar head and prices would be awesome, thanks :)

2. esp---

esp--- Well-Known Member

MESA BOOGIE DUAL RECTIFIER HEAD
    probly little more expensive (~2000$ new - but check for used ones) but really kicks ass (not only urs but everyone in range - about 10km blast zone)

if u want something less expensive check ebay.com - i saw Marshall JCM800 HEAD for realy low price few times - and one H&K TriAmp for ~700$

keep away from fenders - they are good for blues - not for hardcore :)
    Peavey 5150 is rally nice too - but for that price id like JCM800 more

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  3. Kutya

Kutya Banned

What about the Line6 Spider II series? My friend has a Spider II 112 combo (75 Watts), and it can do everything that's distorted. Spider II series

Line 6 amp reviews

STOP PLAYING THAT HARDCORE SHIT AND GET A FENDER AMP YOU BASTARD!

4. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

If i had 2000 bones lying around, I'd be ALL over that Dual Rectifier!!!! That's my dream...

And thanks for the suggestions, i'm definetely leaning towards a JCM800.

And Kutya, never! :)

5. Kutya

Kutya Banned

6. muf-lo

muf-lo Well-Known Member

7. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

noooo thank you :)

8. ironmn

ironmn Active Member

I use a Marshall AVT50 Valvestate 2000 amp. Along with a Digitec METALMASTER distortion pedal. This combo (to me) is loud and heavy and has a great metal "crunch" "crunch" to it. Amp was $350 (ebay) ..the pedal was $60 (digitec website).....and my black B.C. Rich WARLOCK NJ series Mick Thomson Special was $500.

9. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

We (ToT) recommend and use a Marshall JCM(900???) and a Koch Powertone. I am particularly fond of the Koch's sound myself.... I warmly recommend one of these, IF you can find them in the USA (they're Dutch). Check out www.koch-amps.com

10. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Yeah that's cool when you don't have to buy new power tubes in every half-year.

11. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of a JCM800 1959 SLP or something like that, Bas.

I don't like using pedals, it pisses me off.

@Kutya, tubes may be a pain sometimes but the sound is 1000 times better than solid state. I'll never use solid state when i have the option of tubes.

12. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Yeah, if you drive it even just around the breakup, you better have tubes in the power amp for a good tone without pedals. Unless it's something new digital simulated doodad, which is good, at least for metal-like HEAVY, saturated drive they're doing fine. (That's where the above mentioned Line6 stands fairly out IMHO). For that breakup sound they're worth shit though. For flat-out clean, you can go solid state again. (Ever played Roland Jazz Chorus? Fucking awesome without a valve.)

13. Kutya

Kutya Banned

This is a sample where I used my home made amp (some 3 Watts output, an ECL86 in the power stage, originally used in old Hungarian Videoton radios). Now don't let the kids doing it with a Tele!