how is it possible?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by tigrou, Jun 4, 2004.

1. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

no it's not about cheat ;)

just wonder something: there some milion people connected on the net,so why why are we reaching only 70 players in best hours of the day?

realise! only 70 on the entier world, kind of elite, but very select, how can we do to be more and more?

2. Kutya

Kutya Banned

We have to fuck more and more, then raise the children. That way.

3. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    OK, let's fuck Kutya for starters then!

:)

4. bazura

bazura Well-Known Member

Increase fuel multiplier :p

greetings

5. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Dude, we're supposed to insult Kutya, not say something smart!

:turret:

6. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

hmmm, so, best way to accomplish this would be to fuck Kutya,

other than that I see no real solution...

apart from advertising, but: advertising is kinda useless, flightsimmers in its own are a very select group, few of the gamers out there are flightsimmers... additionally, you'd need people not turned off by realism, it's an old game, graphics ain't top notch... and the competition is lethal, about the only thing freehost got to offer is it's name, freehost...

that said, it's not impossible to find people looking for games like warbirds...

7. mosche

mosche Well-Known Member

me think, kick an bann such unserieus players like -mart-, then we get more ppl in main, what the best is, old serieus players come than back, greats mosche :cool:

8. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

@Zembla- damn right!

@tigrou

Sorry but...
    Blahblah... I just flew my first Target Rabaul sortie since ages (I never flew TR on regular basis- few sorties only)... guess how many oponents did I got to counter? 1 (no this number isn't a "lame 70" it's fuckin' "ONE").

And you can't say TR is worse in realism, worse in graphics and that it isn't free... it's beutifull, fully realistic (engine controll is pain in ass for me there f.ex.) and it's free...

The truth is: there're loads of dweebs who do "Quake" "MoH" and other FPS's and only a bunch of dweebs who like flightsims.... and even smaller bunch of those dweebs who prefer WWII sims... and most of those small group of dweebs likes "Il-2 Sturmovik" better than others, cause it's simple in controll (unlike TR) and has better graphics than WB...

life's a bitch, but whining about 70 players only isn't the way to do... we should be delighted to see so many players around here.

9. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

The way I see it is, although it sucks that when we fly, even sometimes as peak hours, there are only a totall of less than 20 players. Wouldnt we start getting horrible performance out of the host even if we had more like a few hundred pilots? I mean, we get warpers and lag-athons in furballs and 1on1's all the time, could you imagine what a furball with 80 or more people would be like? Unless the host could suport it Im not for the Idea of vastly bringing in lots of new pilots. If someone really wants to play, or fly in a realistic WWII "or unrealistic depending on your beliefs on current modeling" then they will edventually find their way to our game.

10. thorne

thorne Active Member

I guess there are many reasons why there are so few players in WB FH:

- There are other games out there wich are more modern (especially when i comes to graphics). Most are commercial and i guess most here know the names: WBIII (EU or US), Aces High (2), IL 2 (FB) and more are coming. The game gets older by the day.
    Usual comment: "Outdated"

- Not enough action for our modern spoiled youth ;)
    Not enough FPS (Frags per second), or is it adrenaline per minute?
    Usual comment: "You have to climb 15 minutes to get to the furball"
    With current icon settings chances are you wonґt even find the action ;)

- High learning curve, combined with experienced enemies can very easily demotivate starters.
    Itґs a WWII Prop-Sim after all. Itґs not as "real" as IL2, ok. Itґs not Falcon with its Avionics described in 600+ pages, granted.
    But we all know that you need a lot of time and training to get good at this game, especially with your adversaries having played this game for years, constantly killing you after a long climb of yours. The first kills are the hardest, and beeing killed all the time while you donґt stand a chance is not necessarily a big incentive to keep up trying.
    Usual comment: "I always get killed and donґt know how to rake a kill myself, this sucks! Either i suck at this game or the other ones are all cheaters, either way, this is no game for me."

I think reasons 2 and 3 is why Ego-Shooters are so popular, everbody can aim a mousepointer and push the left button.
    And you can easily log on and have fun for 15 minutes and get some frags even if you are a total noob at a game.
    (I know there is also a lot of skill involved and how frustrating it can be with experienced players there too)

These specific days there is also the usual spring and summer decrease in players too.

And before the arguing about my statements starts:
    This are not necessarily MY opinions, and i not necessarily want or suggest changes (no i DON`T want easier FMs or higher icon ranges or smaller maps or whatever).
    Is just want to suggest why the game might be not so attractive for a lot of people, not necessarily ME. Because I like it the way IT IS, thatґs why I play it.
    Thus the comments i stated above are the ones i got when i tried to bring new players to FH. I didnґt make them up, i heard them myself.

Do we want changes to attract more players?
    I think that is open for discussion.

Other ways:
    - Advertise to recruit more players. But choose your location wisely, and be prepared for criticism. In the WBIII Forums your comments will just be deleted. And IL2 players trying out WBII will have a LOT to say about graphics, sound and realism for sure..
    - Help and encourage new players. A bit of help, advice, training or just make them feel welcome will help new players a lot over the inital hurdles.
    The usual insults on CH100 from "Bastard" to "Warper, Cheater" or the comments regarding the size of your penis^W^W^W^W^Wflying skills and why the enemy is inferior to yourself, and the "Why no six calls? You stole my kill!" on color channel doesnґt help for sure.
    I think this game should not be about who is the greatest (asshole), but about having fun (everybody, not only yourself).

@mosche: Throwing shit at each other in the forums wonґt help either. The german forum is annoyingly full with this stuff alone. At least keep your bitching in the forums and threads were it belongs (though i think it doesnґt belong in the forums at all).
    And also even if you are trying to differentiate between the big mouth "forum" mosche (i wonґt say "private" because i think itґs (hopefully) just a personality) and the CO of a big squad: I donґt think as a CO you should behave that way, actually you should be a role model, not the opposite..
    (But this holds true for -mart- as a forum admin too, sometimes)

Thus said, i think itґs up to us all to make FH a better place for all of us AND even attract more players.

Ciao
    Thorne

11. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

so we need to get more exposure in Africa, India, Arabia (OK, they have a much more realistic free FPS there) & SE Asia, where it is too hot to go outside now

12. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

I think you're very wrong in that. Older generations usually seem to have this kind of presumptions. To me it seems that younger sim players are usually more patient, willing and able/enjoying to learn new things than their fathers.

Most potent online pilots i've flown with have been around 20 years of age. (manoce, nicae, big-jo(?), haupt, fla) Youngest have been around 12 or so. I started simming when i was 9 with falcon AT (1989) and FH at year 2000 when i was 19. So im not that old either.

PS. be happy with 70 players. im glad if we get more than 10 people online in TW sims.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  13. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Yeah, jokes aside, there's always action and new players in the arena! Sometimes more than 70, sometimes (much) less... Oh well! What can we do! At least the ones that come, are usually here to stay! When I found FH, a bit more than a year ago, my dream had come true... I remember that I played all of my first sorties in a 12-hour (straight!) session. We have devoted players and it's good enough for me!

:@popcorn:

:)

14. -BISH-

-BISH- Well-Known Member

This game is fantastic, the depth of the gameplay is incredible! The quality of opponents here is first class! These ,the best qualities of FH do make it hard for new players, very hard. But there really is nothing to change about the gameplay here, IMO, the drop off rate is a test of character in the individual not a judgement of the game.

The only way I see that may help retain some of the new players choosing to leave,(tired of dying again and again), would be a stronger sense of community within FH. I have only been here 6 months or so and have grown accustomed to the mood here, but the first impression is still fresh.

The 2 overwhelming impressions I have of this place are elitism & conflict. This is reflected not only in the forums but the common & country radios also.
    The elitism supresses new players, when they are not being ignored they are barked at in the radios, add this to difficulty of learning how to see the guy before he kills you and it's easy to delete the programme!
    The conflict between players, it's a bitch. It soon becomes obvious how bloody good the pilots are here, your respect for them grows, and then you start to notice the bitching.
    I hate to point to it but the mosche - mart thing above is an example! I don't know what it's about and I don't CARE. This then leads to new players not using the forum!
    New players can only be good for this place, recruits to some, targets to others. I can only say what I see, individuals choose their own behaviour!

For myself, I came to the conclusion that being intelligent fellas, you choose to have it this way and really don't care about the "popularity" of FH. So my conclusion:
    "Fuck you! Don't respect me, but in time you'll repsect my guns"

As to the question of the appeal of this old game. My 8 year old son has an X-box + playstation, and I kid you not, If I let him he'd play this game everytime! To try to put him off at weekends I deselect easy flight and let him fight offline. I expected to see him 10 mins later with a frown on his face...but no, an hour later I had to boot him off and make him play outside! I think this game has great appeal despite it's age.

I hope it's around long enough for my son and I to fly together. I would say, build a stronger sense of community! If we then hit the wall allsop points to, at least we may have a larger pool hopefully willing to contribute to the upkeep of hardware.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  15. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

:) I also have an xbox and i find it used less and less. good games u dont lose intrist in in a week or 2 or after u beat them are rare.+ at 40 50 dollors a game my list of desired games drops alot now and Freehost ive not got sick of yet in almost a year :) and u can never beat it, there will always be someone better or just luckyier then u. as for the scale of elight pilots. sure it can piss u off, when u die so esily, but die is how u learn on here, and the ace pilots only fuel my want to learn. :p Iknow i can kick their butts Damnit! Reroll an try again! Die by an ace just drives me to wanna try harder and be one of those aces. Ive learned alot by fight agais, with, or just watching those aces. now i need to learn patients. I still over comit, and or jump cons too soon when i know i shouldnt. Or turn fight zeek in p47 when i know its to my extream disadvantge. But then somties its more fun not to be patiant, and just kill em all or die trying :p

16. ~peek~

~peek~ Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

17. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

hi zembla :) when i was a little boy at school, there was the "PEPE boyinton "tv show, and we all wanted to be him, playing with the hand and dropping stones, so 20 year later, there this game we all dreamed, but we are so few now.
    about old graphics, i think it's not the point, cause many ppl play chess and don't say: ho it's an old wood game.

i think the concept is more important than packaging, and wb FH concept is very good.

18. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

lemee tellya the modernization of chess has totally ruined the game, back in the day was only stone pieces & those were still hot from the cooling of the earth & much heavier, you had to be a MAN to play chess back in the old day

19. Odisseo

Odisseo Well-Known Member

I can well remember a nice day one year ago...when players on MA reached more than 100 players.
    Big attack and defend operation from 2 fields, most peaple was concentrated there (a laaaaaaaaaarge big furball).
    I was there and i saw how the FH server couldn't manage all players, most planes was disappearing and reappearing (host bug) and others was unable to damage theyr enemies.
    I wouldn't have to face a fight with this host with more than 70 ppl..it would be anyway impossible to play.