Battle of Britain Scenario ? Campaign Overview

Discussion in 'Scenario / Tournament / Squad missions' started by RedBull, Sep 28, 2004.

1. RedBull

RedBull Well-Known Member

Battle of Britain Scenario ? Campaign Overview

?Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.?

[​IMG]

Scenario campaign should proceed in the four stages (events). Each stage should has two frames. Each frame should has 40-45min - no longer. Basic idea is in one stage repeat 2x one frame. Each event will be scheduled in the webcalendar.

Staqes - basic mission description:

Stage1 - The Battle Begins
    (July 10th to Aug 7th 1940)
    Starting on 10 July 1940, the Luftwaffe attacked shipping convoys in the Channel and Channel Ports. They also suspected the importance of the British radar masts and attacked the stations on the South coast, damaging some of them very badly. In this stage of the battle, the Luftwaffe was in effect probing the British defences - looking for weaknesses before a major assault could be launched to exploit them.

[​IMG]

Stage2 - Pressure grows - Eagle Day (Aug 8 to 6th Sep 1940)
    On 13 August (called Adlertag or Eagle Day by the German High Command), massive raids began on the airfields of 11 Group. The aim was to destroy the RAF, either in the air or on the ground, in South East England. To put pressure on the British defences, the Germans sent high and low level raids to different targets at the same time.
    Suggestions were made that the fighters should be pulled back north of the Thames, but RAF knew that this was exactly what the Germans wanted, effectively giving them air superiority over the intended invasion area. So the 11 Group squadrons stayed and fought for their lives.

[​IMG]

Stage3 - The Blitz (7th Sept to Oct 5th 1940)
    Because it seemed that the attacks on airfields were not destroying enough RAF fighters, Luftwaffe ordered a change of targets. By attacking cities and industry, the Germans hoped to break British morale and to destroy the factories that built fighter aircraft. They also hoped that RAF fighters would gather in force round the cities to protect them, which would make it easier for the Luftwaffe to shoot them down in the numbers required to establish air superiority.

The change of plan was a mistake for a number of reasons. It gave 11 Group a chance to repair their airfields and radar sites, so the defences became fully operational again. The German Me 109 fighter could only carry enough fuel for 20 minutes flight over Britain, so London was on the edge of its limited range.

[​IMG]

Stage4 - The End of the Battle (6th Oct to Oct 31st 1940)
    As the long, hot summer ran into October, the German daylight bomber losses became too heavy. Their bomber force started to operate only at night, and the damage they caused to Britain's cities was enormous.
    During the day, German fighters, mostly Me 109s but occasionally Me 110s, were sent over carrying bombs in small and large scale Jagd-bomber or "Jabo" raids. Largely these nuisance raiders were aimed at engaging the RAF fighters and disrupting defensive operations over the South-East. Defenders, tired from the night attacks, were stretched still further by these raids. They flew fast and high and were difficult to intercept. The radar warning was not long enough to allow a Spitfire to climb to this height from the ground, so the RAF had regular patrols between 15,000 and 20,000 feet. This was a costly and inefficient use of the aircraft and pilots, exactly the situation the control system had helped to avoid during the earlier phases of the Battle, but German losses began to increase. The weather also began to worsen and the raids stopped in late October.

[​IMG]

Planes used in campaign:
    RAF- Hurricane I, Spitfire I
    Luftwaffe - Me109E, Me110C4, Ju87B, JU88A1 (subst. He111 and Do17)

Available sources

WB BoB map (Acrobat PDF)

to be continued
    sources: RAF public site, GlarMaps

pls see BoB Test Run, need testpilots
    [font=&quot][/font]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004