Thrustmaster Joysticks

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Glas, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I just ordered myself a new joystick before I take to the skies again. What's everyone else using these days?

Anyone have any experience of the Thrustmaster joysticks?

2. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Saitek Cyborg Evo

Need a new one though, gonna make myself a few sliders for flaps and shit and some buttons out of the old one ;)

3. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I used to have the Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold, but they were susceptible to breaking after a few months. I loved those sticks tho. Tried the Evo once, but I hated it and traded it in for another 3D Gold, even tho I knew it wouldn't last long.

This new one looks good, it has some new kinda magnetic technology so there's no resistors in the base to get worn out. Can't wait to try it out, it'll be weird getting back in a cockpit again :D

4. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Great stick! If you get off on recalibrating once every 20 seconds or so. :p

5. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

I never have to recalibrate mine :)
    I just wiggle it in all directions when I start playing and it's fine after that.

The driver does crash my winxp sometimes though :/
    BSOD and all that jazz.

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Saitek X52
    That little fuckin screen looking thingie on the throtle side I never got figured out. Is arcana to me. I would like weather reports or email or something from it, fuck.

7. seung_sahn

seung_sahn Banned

Got to be this one.

This old thing I had 10 years ago already used it:

[​IMG]

I loved it, wish it came with rudders though.

8. Red Ant

I lllloved that stick!! Best one ever made. Except it only connects to a game port (no USB), and a USB adapter won't work with it. :(

9. Asmumy

Asmumy Well-Known Member

10. peenek

peenek Well-Known Member

I have the same problem, my old one is in pieces, so I'm thinking about saitek cyborg evo and aviator. i cant get my mind to decide...

11. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Hey guys does anybody here have a joystck or throttle that they use to see the views that they would normally use their numpad for? Is everyone here using their numpad to see their check 6 and other views, or do some people use their throttle/stick or what..?

12. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Aviator is great joy , im using it, great rudder, durable, no need for calibration.

Im using numpad, dont like hat on joy.

Btw, Sonar is somehow flying with mouse for pitch and roll, and pedals as rudder;) %)

13. Red Ant

I use both the numpad keys and my joystick's coolie hat for that.

14. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I only use about 8-10 buttons on the joystick (for critical in-flight control - guns, flaps, wheel brakes, etc) so any more would just confuse me :dura:

The T-1600 has 10 that are readily available to both hands, so I should be okay there. The only slight nag I have with it is that the throttle is at the back - or front depending on how you view it - of the unit, whereas having it at the side like the Cyborg 3D was very comfortable. I haven't tried it yet tho, so it might end up being just as comfortable.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully be here tomorrow or Saturday, i'll let you all know how I get on with it :kruto:

15. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I'm definitely a hat-switch person. The drivers for the Cyborg were a bit kooky, so whenever I had to reinstall them I would have problems getting the hat to work in WB, which I found to be a complete nightmare.

I wouldn't buy a stick without a hat switch now.

16. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

I've always used the hat on my MS Sidewinder. Too bad it's gameport only and my new PC requires it to be USB. I'm grounded because of that :(

Glas, how are the wheelbrakes "critical"? I always left that for the spacebar because it's only needed on landing (and sometimes taking off from CV).
    I remember using buttons for 'Up view' to mix with hat view for up-right, up-back, etc. That was really useful! I think I put one for showing the map, but I could be mistaken.. It's been so long!! :(

17. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

If that's a desktop PC that you're having you might find that at least some of the new mobo's still have gameport connections, though they require you to buy a suitable cable to output the connector on the back panel.

If not, almost any cheap PCI sound card will have a gameport.

18. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

19. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

yeah i guess it's not so much critical as it is preferable when it comes to the brakes nic. Another one i used to like on the stick was the "check 6" button. I need to get the game up and running again to remind me what my critical buttons were, I can hardly remember what other ones I used regularly.

Hope u get the gameport problem solved and we see you back in the arena. My stick never came today so looks like it will either be tomorrow or Monday :(

20. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

ahhhh, the childly wait for toys hahahaha :D
    yeah, maybe we can make some mess in the arena someday! :)