.mapflags for all

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Maletin, Oct 9, 2002.

?

Who should be allowed to use this Feature

Poll closed Dec 8, 2002.
  1. Noone

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Squad-Leader

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Everybody

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
  1. Maletin

Maletin Well-Known Member

Only Squad-Leader may use .mapflags 1
    [​IMG]

2. Maletin

Maletin Well-Known Member

some more info:
    1. you can see the range of all radars, and which rdr's are destroyed.
    2. you can only turn this on and off for the whole session (restart of wb needed).

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

i've voted for squad-leader. That's one of the benefits of being leader. A simple pilot shouldn't have access to radars's status IRL neither. That's ok for me as it is

4. dankes

dankes Well-Known Member

The RL of FH is that every single pilot could create squad and assign himself as squad leader and be able to see .mapflags. So squad members' interests are restrained

5. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Yes. So what? If you want this command, make your own squad. But if you want that you and your friends are recognized as a team, you won't have it. So what?

6. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

Some squads like AFVS loses on this, as the great majority of the missions are leaded by pilots others than grobar (leader). Actually we like that all pilots create a sense of leadership.
    Plus, a squad like AFVS is international, creating diferences in local time, dificulting this arrangements even more.

7. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

then have some temporarily subwings...?
    you can create a subwing for the mission for 5 minutes, and then get the guy in the arena to invite you to AFVS again... that's the advantage of not being a sqd ldr

greetze, Zembla

8. Flubby

Flubby Well-Known Member

Hi

Imho in real live, any pilot has acces to such data´s because it is nessecary for his mission. So there is no reason, to restrict this information only to squad leaders.

cu Flubby

9. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

*only for sq leaders is simple unfair.
    soon everyone wants to be leader.
    then two pilots plan: ill join your sq with one nick, if you join my other nick's sq too.
    great, 2 two-men sqs.

*in RL sq leaders didnt have radar access. the radar team did.

*why do you want to take it away from others? either to all or to none. there is no hierarchy here besides admins/players

*its no use to solve a problem (unfair feature) with another problem (i have to use my secondary nick, thats in a stupid two-man squad just to see the circles others can see without hassle?).

for all or for none!

10. zxszxs

zxszxs Banned

my opinion is:

1. give everyone darcircles.
    2. let everyone see friendly radar contacts inflight
    3. introduce a dot command like: ".dar ##" (where ##=grid of the map) to learn about assumed presence or absence of enemy within that map grid (with responce like: y/n/?/out of coverage), or ".vect" to get approximate vector to enemy radar contact outside visual range (with responce like: n/s/e/w/ne/nw/se/sw/nme near/nme too far/?/out of coverage) (and not let these commands be issued more often than, say, 300 seconds or so).
    The reason is to simulate the radar operator, which wb does not have, as typing questions like: "plz dar f##?" many times is a pain in the ass, especially with a big map and small number of players.

11. beerme

beerme Well-Known Member

Time to revive this I think. Give map flags to everyone

12. vojtas

vojtas Well-Known Member

Uhm why i can't vote? Didn't vote in this pole :dunno: Edited :[ohh sorry didn't see that pole was closed already]

Nevermind, if i could vote i would vote for mapflags for everyone, often when i'm damaged i would like to know where can i ditch to be not captured by other country

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  13. Perdomo

Perdomo Well-Known Member

AFAIK, those radar sector can only be seen in tower, when flying every pilot is "radar-blind" so it is usefull to plan missions, approach zones to enemy targets...etc, so I think only squad leaders should have them. Anyway, IRL any WWII plane had radar like that AFAIK.....

@Vojtas, leaders have to risk being captured as you , unless they are able to remember the exact point where the enemy zone ended, anyway, that is a guess we all can make, just check where are you and try to get closer to a friendly field, somewhere between the nearest enemy field and the nearest friendly field will be the border to avoid being captured. In fact, if you check radar in a small map, various radar zones may be covering the same area, sometimes radar from different sides may be covering the same area, so radar range has nothing to see with the side-borders, just the distance to the nearest field, if it's an enemy field, you are captured, if it's a friendly field, you aren't.

maybe I'm wrong.....

14. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Fla made an excellent point and one that possibly applies to alot of teams in WB. Our sq leader rarely flies so we do not have the benefit of it at all. Even if it was made available to designated people within that team that are regular fliers and therefore are more likely to be able to pass the benefit on to the other dquad members.

Although i would also vote for radar available to all (at least in tower).

@Perdomo: When you have a con right on your 6 and are very close to enemy/friendly border, it can be a very fine line between success and failure.

-glas-

15. Perdomo

@Glas:

cc that, but..... my point was that squad leaders have no advantage in those situations when they are flying, as radar is innoperative in-flight. The only advantage they got from radar is in tower, when planning missions, the only moment when they can see the radar-areas. Flying they only see the normal map. So..... I can't understand your point, that has nothing to see with this subject :D

16. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

so give a radar avail in only some planes: Bf110, Mossie or other planes that in RL got radar (night fighters). Such plane can be "formation leader", but radar range should be small in it. That would be nice, but i think it's not possible in FH :(

17. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Perdomo, if you have the info in the tower, you can include as part of your planning for a sortie a mental note of some kind of landmark or defined part of the map that counts as the 'safe' part of the border and use this as your guide in the event of a ditch.

As things stand at the moment, we have to rely on luck. If your engine is out because of an oil or fuel leak, those extra couple of yards that you could squeeze out could be the ones that make all the difference, but because you are 'guessing' and also because of the pressure of the situation (especially if you have a con trying to shoot you down as you ditch) it's a difficult call to make. I feel that it is something that would have been available in RL anyway to a certain extent so it should also be opened up more widely in here.

-glas-

18. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

That would be REALLY something. Nightfighters in WB-FH, including radars and night-vision systems.

Too bad it is impossible.

I'd say: radar for no-one or everyone.

19. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

mapflags are circles that appear around fields that show where the field's radars cover.

mapflags work in flight too.
    each circle is of same color as it's field. if a radar is killed, circle is grey.

well *I* say: radar for no-one or everyone.

20. Perdomo

I just checked it, in tower I see the radar circles, in flight I don't see them...... maybe you know something I don't? maybe I'm doing something wrong? how can I see radar while flying?