German Rockets against Bombers?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by HoHun, Dec 20, 2002.

?

Did you ever (online) hit an air target with rockets?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2003.
  1. Often, because I know how to do it.

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. More than once.

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Once.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Never.

25 vote(s)
    65.8%
  1. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi everyone,

I've been trying offline to employ the German 21 cm rockets that are carried by the Fw 190A-4 against heavy bombers.

I found it extremely difficult to score any hits at all! Historically, the rockets were fired at a very long distance and relied on air bursts to kill the target, but the Warbirds rockets fly so far before exploding that this method is out of question.

Instead, it's necessary to score a direct hit with the rockets to take down a bomber. (If you hit, they will!)

I've prepared a gunsight for the Fw 190A-4 that made it possible for me to achieve a hit rate of about 20% from D5. This obviously is not going to work in the arena as with the rock-steady dead-six approach required for a hit, otto will kill you before you can fire.

This is how to score hits with my rocket sight:

- Set convergence to 999
    - Approach bomber from 6 o'clock - exactly level!
    - Put him into the two horizontal lines below the main crosshair
    - Fire at D5 (when the B-17 wingspan appears as wide as the rocket lines)

This is for 450 km/h indicated airspeed at low altitude. If you're going faster, you need to aim a bit lower (put B-17 on upper rocket line), if you're going slower you need to aim a bit higher (lower rocket line).

To use the rocket sight offline, best set otto to .otto rg d1 :) It's also a good idea to select "unlimited ammunition".

Any idea how to make hitting with rockets easier or how to push out the range a bit farther? I tried hitting at D10, but that hardly ever worked.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

---fw19041.gst------------------------------

0, 13, 0, 18
    -6, 6, -6, -7
    -6, -7, 6, -7
    6, -7, 6, 6
    6, 6, -6, 5
    -2, -1, 1, -1
    0, -2, 0, 1
    -10, -10, -2, -10
    10, -10, 2, -10
    -10, -14, -2, -14
    10, -14, 2, -14

2. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

that dodels bursts at about d14 (though i haven't found d14.3 or d14.7). you just approach from six, and when in distance, turn your nose up about 7-12 millimeters higher than buff, and fire.

idea works only when speed is higher than ... when you have good speed. it doesn't work when you fire right after leveling from long climb.

i got stable results in offline vs buffs (30%?), and killed two fighters i chased online that way.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2002
  3. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

anyways, that weird way ien made dodels and other rockets doesn't get my sympathy. :(
    i really think that rockets should be deeply debugged or removed from the game.

4. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

I think doing that would decrease the ammount of raids... well it would mean a radical decimation of the pilots enjoying and participating in raids...

greetze, Zembla

5. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

never tried to hit plane 21cm rocket, always using it as AG weapon. I have once hit plane using i153 rocket, but that was just BIG luck (just fired in con directory from d~12) > Few times tried to kill anything using 262's R4M but never succesed (ground targets hit by r4m but not killed only)

6. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Exec,

>that dodels bursts at about d14 (though i haven't found d14.3 or d14.7). you just approach from six, and when in distance, turn your nose up about 7-12 millimeters higher than buff, and fire.

I've made some offline measurements and the rockets fly about 2000 - 2200 m before exploding, dropping about 380 ft when fired level.

Are you saying you hit the targets with the burst and not with direct strikes?

What size or monitor are you using? I need to know that to find out the proper elevation :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

7. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, airburst rockets in WB have no blast radius, they just poof. It's possible I just never got close enough, but considering their rather large lethal area when employed against airplanes on the runway, I'm led to believe it's not there.

A2A rockets work offline, but online is another matter entirely. I've hit A2A, direct contact hit, with rockets a couple of times online and had absolutely nothing happen, when it should completely destroy the aircraft. If it's even possible, I'm not sure how to make it work. I assume that if it's possible at all, it involves firing ahead of the aircraft to hit it, either on the server or on their client. I haven't really bothered trying once I found out that direct hits don't work. Then again, I haven't tried since an FH version or two ago, so the patch that fixed fired bombs/rockets showing up on other clients, may have fixed this one.

Except, it didn't work on iEN's 2.77 either. Even their silly bufftough shouldn't save a B-17 from a direct hit of a 21cm rocket.

The only time I've ever actually hurt a flying plane with rockets online, is when they were skimming the ground and got caught in the blast of a nearby ground hit.

8. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Mekh,

>Then again, I haven't tried since an FH version or two ago, so the patch that fixed fired bombs/rockets showing up on other clients, may have fixed this one.

I can say for certain that some of the rocket types work air-to-air - I've taken off the wing of a Ju 52 in a head-on attack with an Il-2 firing rockets. (By accident - I thought I had selected cannon.)

I've not yet hit anything air-to-air with the 21 cm rockets, so I can't be certain about them, though.

I haven't been hit air-to-air by rockets either, though I've been occasionally been shot at with rockets. (No idea how they'd register in the after-action statistics :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

9. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

you need my diagonal to recalculate 7-12mm?
    what if i say 11"-31"?
    you just want the burst to be on the same level and direction with buff. take unlim ammo/ofl and get a use.

10. gahis

gahis FH Sound Developer

i hit bombers with rockets normally

IUve killed about 10-20 ju52 with rockets in i16 and i153

in bf110, Ive killed a few b17's and b24

when i fly lagg I use rockets at D20 or so, mostly to make cons turn etc

I find rockets in a2a VS fighetrs are good scare weapons

VS bomber, I can hit at a 50% hit rate with 12cm at D14 range

VS fighter, I can hit about 2-6% in HO attacks

Ive even killed a ju87 in a i153 using rockets, He tried turning to make otto hit me, and i fired rocket, and hit 2 of em, But i didnt gt the kill, I think it was jocen I hit

11. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

I completely agree. This means only ofcourse german A-A rockets. (WGr. 21cm) These are only used in ground attack, which is wrong.

It would be time to remove these fantasy loadouts. Remember this should be a sim... (or should it?)

If someone disagrees, then please explain me why dont we go all the way and add 6xmk108 to a6m2 and 2x280mm naval guns to I-16.
    Whats the point in having unrealistic loadouts? If you never had em you wouldnt miss em.

12. beerme

beerme Well-Known Member

I didn't think that convergence applied to rockets, is this correct? If so it's a new one on me.

13. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Re: Re: German Rockets against Bombers?

Hi Beerme,

>I didn't think that convergence applied to rockets, is this correct? If so it's a new one on me.

I just saw them crossing over in front of the target, then changed convergence to 999 yards and it looked better. Maybe just my imagination :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

14. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Exec,

>you need my diagonal to recalculate 7-12mm?

I'm testing offline, and found that a few pixels up or down do matter :)

>you just want the burst to be on the same level and direction with buff. take unlim ammo/ofl and get a use.

Since the rockets are arcing, you need to get the distance correct, too.

In fact, I built my rocket sight based on experience with offline tests, but I found out the following:

Rockets align with the slipstream at the moment of firing.

Verification: Fire rockets in 1 G flight. Observe where they go in relation to the sight. Roll inverted. Fire rockets in -1 G flight. Observe where they go now.

Conclusion: The exact speed at the moment of launching makes a big difference. To get consistent results, you have to fire from a constant indicated air speed (for a constant angle-of-attack).

However, since the shots are arcing, you also need to adapt the launching distance to the true air speed of the target since even when you're firing from behind, you have to allow for the proper lead.

So it's much more difficult than just finding the right spot on the gunsight - the aiming point changes with the situation.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

15. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

For those that have shot down aircraft with rockets online: did you actually see the rocket directly hit the aircraft, or did you just fire them out into the sky in front of them, and the aircraft fell apart? I'm wondering if they're on your client-side like gunfire is, or if they must connect on the server or the other aircraft's client. I've never had any results from direct hits.

16. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Once bounced a tiffie in 109g6 with rocks. Tiffie of course started to run and when he was at about d8 I gave up shooting with cannons and mg's and in act of desperation fired both rockets... both hit :D I think it surprised both of us equally ;)

17. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Mekh,

>For those that have shot down aircraft with rockets online: did you actually see the rocket directly hit the aircraft, or did you just fire them out into the sky in front of them, and the aircraft fell apart?

Hard to say as it was accidental, and in a head-on attack. The taget's wing just came off - I quickly checked whether I had used 7.7 mm too but I hadn't. (They were jammed I think.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

18. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

me in 262, shot R4Ms at b17. one hit, but no visible damage.
    hit also once or twice fighters with rockets. "boom". ;)

in new beta the rockets blow up after a short while. did you check them hohun? tho i dont think they have damaging power with those puffs. maybe as little as 40mm puffs.

19. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

if rockets explode after a while, what will happen if someone launchs a rocket against a hangar from 1500m? i've made it sometimes to avoid acks.... Will it explode before reach the target? :confused:

20. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

HoHun, think of ien-rocket as bomb with jet. it falls like GPB, but besides it has an acceleration in the direction of it's nose.

For me the pixel is not the problem. My problems are to make Dodel explode in the radius of visual 4mm around the target. If the distance is OK, it will be sufficial to kill target. Second problem is to adjust range.