winipcfg for windows 2000 AND XP!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by biles, Apr 3, 2003.

1. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
  2. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

in 2k and xp it's called ipconfig.exe :)

3. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Nope. Wrongo:
    IPconfig is NOT WinIPcfg. WinIPcfg is a gui app. Note: this app is called "wntipcfg" but it can easily be changed to the old stand-by, "WinIPcfg.exe."

Download it, try it. It is one of the first things I really missed when I went up to XP.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2003
  4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

dl and install entire resource kit for plenty of glittering toys, pal.

5. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

hi biles,

for what did you miss that?
    all it can is already included in xp already (xp pro at least)...

6. biles

biles Well-Known Member

I missed it becuase I, like many computer users, am a conservative, insafoar as my computer comfort zon is concerned.
    Example:
    It took me many big sweaty anoying rages and some time also to figure out how to get rid of the little magician guy cartoon stupid thing when I used the "help" function....

When I was using a dialup, which I have to sometimes and I need to know my ever changing IP number quick-like, I almost by reflex, open a command prompt and type "winipcfg."

It was the first thing I discovered I missed. IPconfig is fine, sure, but I had to learn another command and it's switches to do what I already could do before with another command I already knew in my bones.

My son was bitching about the "ls" command in Linux. Man he hated it. One day he was bitching, "Hey dad, how come there is no "dir" command in Linux?" And I said, "Why don't you try it?" And he said, "Try what?" and I said, "Type "dir"." He did and I heard him clapping his hands for joy.

I like XP Pro. I like XP. But I am a conservative computer user. That's all.

Not a big deal. I know. Each of us hacking has our own comfort zone. I am impatient and cause trouble in a classroom, so I must learn this stuff on my own, no evening classes for this boy! And a lot of the stuff I learn is totally by accident, this is one of those things.

Joy.

7. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

hi biles,

i understand your reasons, i also don't like the change of my ever-used-to-interfaces!
    but after a while...
    for ip-adress it is only a right-click on symbol, and details show you all things ipconfig did.
    don't fight the os, pretend to be friendly :)

ps:
    for the cartoons, i totally agree... i banned them, make me feel like "how fool can you go?" :help: :turret:

8. gghost

gghost Well-Known Member

command line is the only TRUE thing!
    ipconfig is much cooler than winipcfg (btw on my old 98 system winipcfg crashed every minute...)