Cheating in WB

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -blue-, Jun 27, 2001.

1. -blue-

-blue- Well-Known Member

Cheating in WB !?!?!?!?
    Well i have some quwstion about that. First of all everyone heard bout the newest bug making it possible to move ur jeep ack to an enemy field. It's not fair & should be fixed. But it's not the kinda cheat im talking about....

Many times i have heard of ppl calling eaczother cheaters, for no particular reason, being mb jelous for their kills, or angry, couse killed in a very nasty way ;-)

Now here's my question: How can u cheat in WB?

Can u chcnge ammo characteristics? Can u change plane manouvreability, or speed, or demage? I ask this not get an instruction of how to do it... i'd like to know if it can be done & if anyone actually experienced it.

I bring this topic up beacouse of one singly thing that happened to me latety. I was flying from an inet cafe, so my conection was nearly perfect (av ping 50ms), no lags, no warps, and yet a pilot which i will not mention by nick gave an impressive show of impossible manouvers. btw... he's score seems pretty "strange" too. Flying an p39 Aircobra, at about 550 km/h he slided rights&lefts touching the groung with he's cocpit glass... Then did turns by 90 degrees not loosing a bit of speed. He did't warp in general. He was impossible to hit - touched ground with wings all the time. This were not just very hard to copy manouvers - they were impossible in a phisical way ones...

If anyone could tell me something, maybe shared similar experiences - id be glad to hear.

I know some of us shoot better, fly better, are more experineced... but very strange things happen from time to time...

So.. waht can u do in WB to win in an unfair way???? What's possible?

greets

-blue-

flyin lately as
    ll---- from +++kARAYA sTAFFEL+++

2. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

Dogfighting with someone demands two stable channels: you-to-server, opponent-to-server.
    When some of these channels are unstable you see the opponent warping.

3. hwind-

hwind- Active Member

And it doesn't matter who is the one who has the worse connection. Both will see the other guy warping.

About cheating:

You basically could cheat in two ways:
    1) Manipulating and changing the network packets (information which WB sends)
    2) Manipulating the WB's running enviroment (the computer, and the connection)

1 ---
    You could make WB lose some packets which mark hits, (ie. making you indestructible)

You could add some damagepackets to your network stream causing more damage to buildings/other players.

2 ---
    You could make WB to not move at all for a 1-2 second, thus making the famous maverick-from-the-top-gun "I hit the brakes" - move... I think this was cured with preventing Alt-Tabbing. Before this you could alt-tab to desktop and have some processor heavy program running, thus disabling WB for a few seconds.

These are not easy, I haven't even tried these methods, so I don't know if these work or not.

I myself cannot understand anybody who feels compelled to "play it dirty". I feel that WB is more of a WWII-plane simulator than a game, and therefore have never thought of cheating. Of course I get angry when somebody shoots me down, but almosta allways it has been because of my own stupidity [​IMG]

Just my 2 penni's

4. Platy

Platy Well-Known Member

Cheat = Bug Exploit

Simple has that.

------------------
    platy-
    Sturmtruppen

5. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Some ppl are just lucky enough to get some lucky 37mm shots off and then actually get away with it...

Aerial Combat is a strange thing...

greetz, Zembla

6. seahawk

seahawk Well-Known Member

ALSO artists can change the plane's texture and adding it as the default for the plane,
    for ex; you can change your 6 view by removing the back seat. [​IMG] i guess so.

Seahawk

7. -blue-

-blue- Well-Known Member

I understand the connection issue exec. As i said mine was very good, and i persume he's connection couldn't be too bad, looking at he's score... When u have a bad connection it's not only that u warp, but everybody around u warp too... So hitting someone i that conditions is quite hard.

Anyway thx for answers - i agree that WB is more of a simulation than a game, and cheating is just stupid for me. I rather fly for the fun if it, then any other thing. Guess Making the highest score using any magic idea to improve my chances wouldn't make me satisfied. If i achieve somethig by myself, competing with all others at he same level, then i have something to be proud of :)

cya all in the air

-blue-

lately known as
    ll---- from +++ kARAYA sTAFFEL +++

8. Wojtus

Wojtus Well-Known Member

Yes, it's all possible. Flight parameteres, gunnery effects, visibility of other planes - it's all computed by WarBirds FE, so it can be changed by the cheater.

Yeap, I were sitting next to -blue-, so I can confirm that. That P-39 guy didn't warped at all, his fly was very, very smooth - but just impossible. Even a A6M can't do such turns as those we've seen.

Unfortunately - almost everything. [​IMG]

We know that. But believe me, that guy didn't warped at all. I know many kinds of warps (long warps, microwarps, warprolls [​IMG] ), but this guy didn't warped at all. He just moved like guys in 'Matrix' movie [​IMG]

You're wrong, Platy. If WB has been designed to be uncheatable, you'll get your joystick movements sent to game server and receive screendumps.
    Local data processing in real-time network games is inevitable. It's vulnerable for cheaters, too [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Wojtus (edited 27 June 2001).]

9. mcosta

mcosta Guest

You can change everything on the FE... but there is a "defence" mechanism on the server to fight hacked ( illegal ) misc.bin files...
    the server checks the misc.bin checksum . If you don't have the right version, you can't fly.
    About damage... you can't put 10 30mm MK108 cannons on the ki43 and get away with it... why? Because the gunstat of the other pilot will say you've been hit by 30mm shells instead of the usual 12.7mm pellets [​IMG]
    The damage model is calculated by the shooter's FE and the server, which attributed you the damage you've supposed to get from the fire...
    To end... it's possible to cheat in WB IF you can fool the server into beleiving you're using the right version of misc.bin . About these defense mechanisms, rgreat and aike/ivan are the only ones "qualified" here to speak of...

mcosta
    Sturmtruppen

10. Wojtus

Wojtus Well-Known Member

Of course they are defence mechanisms, I was speaking generally. And generally they only make cheating harder, but still not impossible.
    I propose to end this thread, too much sensitive information is leaking here [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Wojtus (edited 27 June 2001).]

11. mcosta

mcosta Guest

I know that very very well as a programmer myself...
    What sensitive information? I thought this was already" public [​IMG]

mcosta
    Sturmtruppen

PS: blue, plz lock the thread [​IMG]

12. Invisible Ninja-Killer

Invisible Ninja-Killer Active Member

In theory, it's enough to duplicate the number of hits on the FE to get undetectable cheating kills..

13. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

sepukked

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  14. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

Please pass to denis that using his hardware configuration giving these effects is quite incorrect to other players.

15. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

sry. to dennis

16. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Ive never withnessed cheating in FH[​IMG]

Anyway I dont like people taking "advantage" of simple game bugs...like ditching on enemy field etc.

One day I was fighting Yak-1 over f15 in my 190.
    We had just captured the field and it had partly reupped. I shot his engine to gray smoke.
    Then I Pulled out from his 6 and said him to rtb at channel 100.

I climbed above him to see what he does.
    He dives straight to f15 and starts shooting acks that reupped.
    Ok i see he doesnt want to live and dive behind him shooting his engine totally out. He ditches on our field...he gets captured but avoids kill message.

I fly WB because i want to have fun and want others have fun too.

I have no respect for people who fly WB to annoy others.

I think scores in WB are for bad...too many newbies just hunt scores and dont keep good spirit.

If we gave scores for shooting chutes they would do it too...give them score for sitting in tower i say and we have better game[​IMG]

Let em lead the scores and let us have fun[​IMG]
    Both are happy.

17. Matrosov

Matrosov Well-Known Member

WTG illo!

18. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

<--- 100% agreed with illo! [​IMG]

19. -blue-

-blue- Well-Known Member

If everyone wants to fly for fun, not for scores - the WTF is it so hard to organize something. I flew both gold & red side today and it was just impossible. Ppl get organized when there is 30 to 10 for one side - then it's a bit of organization - everyone is vulching over same field.

Today illo lead 1 or 2 attacks for golds & that was all. The game really gets boring when no one wants to do something together - so IMO if u want to motivate ur flyin u fly for personal score or for winning the war. Flyin for score gets boring after half teh rps (my case as ll---, got tired of being careful [​IMG] )
    Then again it gets boring even faster to fly alone with simply no goal to achieve... no cooperation etc...

I don't really know what i'm trying to say here... but i think it is most inproper to treak this great game like ot was Quake or other brainless stuff...

------------------
    -blue-

302 Polish SQ Poznanski

20. raposa

raposa Member

about scores and team work.
    I'm a newbie in this game but when i'm in the air and ask for some explanations, no one helps.
    The good pilots doesn't help and it's bad for themselves because the newbie let this game and the WB will died because theren't new pilots.

------------------
    xtirpator