Why must we disable easy mode?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by ledzep, May 13, 2001.

1. ledzep

ledzep Member

I'm a pretty bad pilot, I'll admit it. I do good to make it home from a sortie most days, but I love flying WB, so hey, no worries. What sucks is this: people who have logged a gazillion hours flying this game and complain about newbies who fly with easy mode, like me. Mabie its unrealistic and mabie I dont spin or hear the stall buzzer as much as thoes flying in 'hard' mode, but at least I can compete with the people that have flown this game for years, yah know? Trust me, I get shot up either way, but at least I have a chance to have a little fun and kill a few planes while I'm learning. Give me and the other shit newbies a chance man.

2. Wojtus

Wojtus Well-Known Member

Believe me, you won't learn good flying in easy mode. It's completely unrealistic.
    I remember my first day on FH - I were flying easy mode because I forgot it has to be set manually to 'hard mode'.
    I was so dissatisfied of the flight model, that I would have abandon FH for good. Furtunately at end of my flying I noticed this small notice 'easy mode enabled'. [​IMG]

It really doesn't take long to learn flying in 'hard'. Just control your speed and watch out for stall buzzer. And watch your six of course. :>

3. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

You won't learn in easy mode.
    And what do you want more ? you have a great oporunity facing the best, it's the best way to learn.
    I remember my first month on fh, it was thought but I had a friend that gave me some tips and I started to evolve. Later in Bakers squad -illo- hlped me a lot (tks illo).
    Once you can survive the best, you can be sure you are a good pilot.
    And don't worry, you'll get there. Maybe you'll be our next ace. [​IMG]

4. ledzep

ledzep Member

yeah, but why should I be forced to fly full realistic when I and I think most people are perfectly happy with the option to enable easy mode? I never hear anyone complaining in game that someones manuver was fake or could not possibly be done in 'realistic' mode. I had one person say that it was easier to evade when you were flying in real mode. I mean hey, its all about what you prefer isin't it?

I know I'm not going to win this argument, but it kinda sucks, because, I do well enough in easy mode to keep myself happy, in real, its like.. i crash or get shot and end up wanting to throw shit.

eh..

ledzep/thewho

5. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

The main problem, as I see it, is that the use of easy mode gives the player who uses it an unfair advantage. I fly real mode and my plane stalls and spins and I have to work just to stay alive. I get into a low alt turning battle and guy with easy mode has a clear advantage.

One possible solution is to have two arenas. One for easy mode so the new folks can learn in a level playing field, and one for real mode, (easy mode not allowed) for more experienced pilots.

Otherwise: You can practice easy mode in the offline practice and work your way up to non easy mode. Then when you are ready you can fly in the arena.

6. ledzep

ledzep Member

does it really give anyone an unfair advantage if its optional to turn it on and off? noone is forcing you to use 'real' or 'real fucking hard mode', depending on your prespective, but they are forcing me. If you so choose, you can fly real, which your good at, or easy, where you would do just as well. Me on the other hand, have grown up for the past 4 years on 'light' sims. We had spins and stalls, but no fucking torque effects that pulled me half way across the runway and other such nonsence that is for the truely hardcore, skrew the whore-- my wife can take out the trash herself type flight simmer.

All I want to do is be able to hop in a plane after school or work, fly over to a base and at least have hope of getting a kill and returning home. I tried that tonight and was lucky to get like 5 hits in in about 20 sorties. Its no fun. I'm not trying to cheat or have an advantage over anyone else, call me stupid or unskilled or whatever, but why run me out of the game because you like to fly real mode and i dont?

7. lemmie

lemmie Well-Known Member

Hey Ledzep- you still having connect problems? If not, what solution did you implement? Just curious, and good to see you in.
    Lem

8. --ph--

--ph-- FH Webmaster

ledzep, try an easier to fly plane, like p38 or spitfire V or IX. For example, fw190 really has a big torque effect, and they don't.

[This message has been edited by --ph-- (edited 13 May 2001).]

9. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

I was quite suprised when I logged onto the server yesterday and found out that the flight models all the sudden had changed, first I thought: "Hey, who screwed around with my stick?" but then I realised I didn't see the message "EASY MODE ENABLED" at the log-in phase of the server... I can completely understand ledzep/thewho in his opinion, and I think that he deserves the right to continue flying with the 'easy' mode, but I must say that you learn better in 'uneasy' mode than you do in 'easy' mode... These torque effects/spins and stalls all are prominent, but it's something you get to handle when the experience comes... I too don't like to get into a spin when I'm trying to keep track on bandit...

I'm pretty neutral, I too grew up with the 'light' sims with jet engines with absolutely no torque at all... but here I am trying to get kills and I must say, I'm starting to get the feel of, this doesn't mean I'm on my way to become an ace, but I'm sure I will be able to hold more than my own in an undefined ammount of time...
    try to learn, as you did in Fighters Anthology, hell you even defeated all ~supreme~'s I'm sure you'll be able to handle it... just be patient, and have good nerves, coz it's a rough battle going on over there

greetz, Zembla

10. ledzep

ledzep Member

p38 isint bad, i flew it a wee bit back in the day.. only thing is i hate flying red when its already a 2:1 ratio, but thats an idea at least.

as far as the connect thing, i realized that it was my provider (in this case a college lan).. i had apparantly been sucking too much bandwidth and they had stuck me on a really bogged down server, or something to that effect at least. My solution was to break into the ethernet hub thingie in my building and switch my line to another dudes... worked great for me.. YMMV.

anyways, i was pissed last night, but i still think its kinda shitty.. perhaps you could tune up the easy mode flight model or put some kind of restrictions on the planes avaliable in easy..

for instance, perhaps a solution to the people who want to introduce the 262 early and they ones who cry about it, we could limit the 262 to only hard mode? eh? its an idea, it would prolly keep the numbers of 262's down a bit and would definately make it a plane of the skilled. I donno if red has any real game breaking planes, but eh.. i donno..

[This message has been edited by ledzep (edited 14 May 2001).]

11. mcosta

mcosta Guest

First of all, I only fly with easy mode disabled.
    Why? Because ICI ( now iEN ) only allowed that back then, when I was flying with them...
    How did I learn how to fly and fight on WB? You bet... the P38...
    From the P38, I got into the A6M, then the spitfire and finally the P51 ( CK 0.91 only had this 4 planes, If I'm recalling this right... It was too long ago [​IMG] )

So... It is completelly possible to learn how to _survive_ in WB/FH in hard mode.
    That way, I0m COMPLETELLY OPPOSED to any easy mode enable on the game arena. Sorry folks, but that is not fair at all.
    In hard mode, a ki43 is more maneuverable than a I16, and will win a turning fight if no other plane helps the I16.
    If the I16 is in easy mode, he will win because he won't stall/spin.
    This adds a completelly unfair thing to those who use easy mode.

I can recall one thing that happened some months ago, between me ( Ki84 ) and a P51D... I was ( of course ) in hard mode, and the P51 pilot, a very very experienced guy, was using easy mode _just_ to have more kills into his score...

I don't bother if my score is high or low... I just want to have some fun, but in my dictionary, fun is not having to fight people in easy mode...

If one person does not know how to manage the planes, simply don't go online as soon as you donwload the game!!!
    Practice a few times with the drones, kill them ( practice your gunnery... you'll need it... ), basic combat maneuvers and specially, how to survive an attack and how to disengage a fight...
    ( always in hard.... practicing in easy is not a good idea... )

Then come online... you'll die less times...

Negative sir, it's all or nothing.
    In this case, nothing at all. no easy mode.
    Imagin yourself as a fighter pilot in WW2, flying a.. hummm... Fw190. You get attacked by a P51.... "Hey, please don't attack me! I'm not in easy mode" ....

It's a bad idea, since as I wrote above, it's all or nothing.
    Even if they did this, I'd be perfectly enchanted, since I only fly these birdies in hard mode ( as I also wrote above.... how does it handle in easy mode, btw? [​IMG] )

I don't know about you all, but for me this thread is more than closed now...
    NO EASY MODE is welcome. I cannot accept being killed by an "easy" pilot when fighting , in any occasion.

mcosta
    Sturmtruppen

PS [​IMG]ASY modes does not mean the pilot is also using EASY gunnery ... right???? If yes, the banish it FOREVER!

12. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

imho the worst thing that FH did.. ok maybe not the *worst*.. was to make easy flight available.
    i think last year.. not sure, but a while ago, there was no easy flight, like right now. i was happy then. but ive been flying easy for a while now, and i got used to it. in other words, now i get killed, stall, crash and fail takeoffs! itll take a while till i get the hang of it again!
    so its for your good: dont use easy mode!

cya! nicae

13. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

When mcosta says "Imagin yourself as a fighter pilot in WW2, flying a.. hummm... Fw190. You get attacked by a P51.... "Hey, please don't attack me! I'm not in easy mode" ...." Amd when he says, "In hard mode, a ki43 is more maneuverable than a I16, and will win a turning fight if no other plane helps the I16.
    If the I16 is in easy mode, he will win because he won't stall/spin.
    This adds a completelly unfair thing to those who use easy mode."
    He is right on both counts. Why should I have to fly easy mode just to come down to the lowest common denominator. This is supposed to be a raealistic flight simulator. Real planes have torque. Real planes have trim tabs. Use the Auto-trim to trim the torque out. That is what I do in 190, otherwise it is almost unflyable. But remember planes need different trims at different speeds. (Yes I am literally giving away the farm here, I won't be surprised if half my squad deserts me for telling all you this.) But plese don't make me fly easy mode just to have a fair fight. I like the challenge. I like imagining I am a real WWII pilot. I like to think the people I am fighting against and with are imagining the same thing. When I am flying along and a Yak sneaks up behind me and I have to work to break away from his attack, I sweat. Do you? Maybe I and a few others here take this a tad too serious. But I would like to think that if I was offered the chance to fly one of these planes tomorrow, my experience here would make me far more comfortable in saying "HELL YES", wouldn't you. Take the plethora of advice here. Fly in the offline practice, with easy mode disabled. Take off, land, fight, evade. Or do it the way I did. Learn online and get killed and frustrated a lot. Then find someone online willing to teach you. Join a squad, and get the squad members to help you learn. Fly head to head with other pilots offline. All these things build skills. Skills that will help you win the day.

Check the scorepage from time to time, and ask the pilots with the highest kill to death , and win/loss ratios how they do what they do. Each will have his own answer and over time you will begin to find nuggets of wisdom that you can make your own. Or if you see one of those pilots taking off, get in the same plane and follow them. See what they do and try to figure out how they do it. (note: you need to already have a working familiarity with the plane they fly. Otherwise you will kill yourself on take off or the first hard manuever they make, so offline practice counts a lot here)

The asking and getting direct help is your best bet. Joining a squad is often good too. That is part of what squads exist for. A little loyalty among the players, with a chance to learn and grow. Who knows someday you might be the teacher for the rawest recruits in your squad. Besides when the going gets real tough, I look out for my squadmates first, then other golds in squads friendly to mine then the rest of the golds. Most squad members do. And having someone to chase a con off your six is sometimes more valuable then getting killed, because that guy will not only get the con off your six, he might be able to tell you how the con got there so it doesn't happen again.

No matter how you slice this cat open, I firmly believe Easy Mode should be disabled. There is a world of help here. Just ask.

Sorry if I got too wordy.

14. ledzep

ledzep Member

To clarify what "easy" mode really is... there is one flight physics model in WarBirds and Dawn of Aces, with each plane having its own detailed parameters. What easy mode does is put a "fly by wire" limiter on the flight model."
    "Easy mode is exactly the same flight model. The only difference is that the front end (WarBirds or Dawn of Aces client software) won't let you put in enough stick to spin or stall. It automatically limits how much joystick input gets to the plane on the fly, to not let you stall, or spin, or reach maximum A0A (Angle-of-Attack) and trims your control surfaces."

"This means that the advanced flight version always has a significant advantage provided that you stay within the flight envelope."

"There are two steep learning curves in WarBirds and Dawn of Aces - one is learning to fly the aircraft, the other is learning ACM against tough human competition."

"We implemented easy mode and mixed it in the main arena to allow new folks to have the option of learning one curve at a time, and learn enough ACM while not having to learn to deal with a tough flight model at the same time."

-------

15. mcosta

mcosta Guest

This excerpt is giving us even more reason than before.
    Easy mode is unfair, period.

I might be in favour of it in only one condition ( fellow FH programmers, it's up to you [​IMG] ) :

When a person registers into FH, the server automatically puts him into easy mode. Max 1/2 weeks after it's creation, easy mode is altomatically killed for that pilot. In easy mode, only the easier planes are available for use.... I16, P38, Spitfires, Ki and A6Ms.
    If a person wants to use the other planes, he must disable it using a specific .command... after that point, there is no turning back. no more easy mode...

mcosta
    Sturmtruppen

16. mcosta

mcosta Guest

After this reply, I'm still against easy mode , in any condition...
    I'm just trying to be more diplomatic... [​IMG]

mcosta
    Sturmtruppen

PS : just kill easy mode for good [​IMG]

17. rcosta

rcosta FH Beta Tester

I'm against Easy Mode as much as mcosta, but if you guys REALLY want to let newbies have some leeway, then I suggest an addition to the above "newbie model"... all EASY MODE players will have at ALL times the acrobatic smoke (green/red) enabled, without any hope of having it disabled until newbie mode expires.

This way real mode players will at least know what they're getting into when they attack someone... besides giving a really good reason for newbies to get rid of easy mode as soon as possible. [​IMG]

rcosta
    Sturmtruppen

PS: I too had to contend with vastly superior pilots when I first logged in and got butchered more often than not and now I'm nearing 250 kills in this ToD alone, all in Real mode, so Easy mode is, IMHO, for weenies.

18. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried typing ".easy 1" into the game lately. Easy more has been disabled, and I am told that it is by design. When Aike announced it in response to someone asking, there were no less tehn 12 immediate yeah type responses. I think the people have spoken and the admins have heard. Ir is it the Tribe has spoken.

Anyway, it's gone!!!

YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

19. mcosta

mcosta Guest

Fortunatelly yes... but for how long until some admin turns it back on? [​IMG]

mcosta
    Sturmtruppen

PS : aike, plz compile the server hardcoded not to be usable in easy mode... that way we won't have more on/off switches for the easy mode...

20. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

mcosta, I couldn't help but imagine myself how you would like in 'uneasy' mode at the stick of a Lockheed F-117A 'Nighthawk'... I'm afraid I'd die laughing (nothing personal)
    I admit that the 'easy' mode might seem unfair, and 'cowardish' but I ask you to let the guys that need it fly by the wire they had...

I was doing easy mode too, hell I didn't even knew how to disable it...
    Now on the other hand, I'm learning to fly these planes, the first time I noticed this 'uneasy' mode, I was taking off in a 190 and I can assure you, the first thing I did was crash nose down in the ground...

About learning, I learned online, and I must say I don't have these much difficulties, I found out the tricks myself (at least, most of them) and I learnt to fight and die, I did average, untill now this easy mode was disabled, but I'm quite confident this just means an increasement in skills (on the long terms)... I've lived and died in helicopters, jets, props, hell even X-wings... and now I'm trying to get better and better in props untill I'm satisfied about myself, I mostly succeed in my objectives... I fly to have fun, and to be glad about the progress I'm making, to be in a sort of competition... so this 'uneasy' mode perhaps isn't the best thing, coz the idea I had about my own abilities took a steep dive right now, the best way to learn is to die... and then after dieing being so frustrated you just don't engage anyone coz you wanna return to base alive... this way you'll learn the habit of survival...

Another good way to learn, write down your mistakes, and think about them... find out ways to avoid them , and the reasons why you encounter them... this is the way I sometimes learn when I've virtually had it

Thanks for your attention, sorry for the long post...

greetz, Zembla