Switching rudder control

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Red Ant, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Hello,

Does anyone know whether it is possible to switch rudder control from the stick to the keyboard WHILE flying? The reason I'm asking is that when you lose one engine in the P-38, you constantly have to apply a certain amount of rudder to compensate for the loss of the torque that engine provided. With a stick, that gets tiresome very quickly. I know back from the days when I didn't have a stick with rudder control that one could just use the A, S and D keys to permanently set the rudder to a certain position / center the rudder, but when you have a stick with rudder, these keys don't do anything.
    I don't want to take rudder control away from my stick altogether, though, as during normal operation, the rudder is virtually useless if controlled via the keyboard. But for those sad moments when I'm running on 1 engine, I sure would like my keyboard rudder back. Anyone have an idea? :D

2. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

u'll get used to it :D

3. Red Ant

No I won't. I've had the exact same problem with my last 3 sticks, too, and I ain't gotten used to it yet. :p

4. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Can you set some keys on the controller for rudder in addition to the stick itself? Is there rudder trim buttons feature on the WB keyboard set-up?

I wish they would fix the P38 P-factor problem. Someone should know that the P38 props ran opposite* each other. The P38 should NOT be like the Beaufighter and just as smooth or better than the Li for taking off!

* opposite: The left engine ran(prop turned) left and the right engine ran(prop turned) right.

AND pardon my ranting AGAIN but the P38 and the Mosquito are still quite slower than they were in real life here! The power to weight ratio should have them accelerating much faster to a much higher top speed than currently modeled.....DAMNIT !!!!!!

5. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

Use rudder trim.

6. Red Ant

No such feature, looseleaf. :(

WRT your rant on the P-38, looseleaf, I've run some pretty detailed speed trials a couple of years back, and the P-38's top speed was within a few mph of its published performance at most alts. The P-38 in FH may have problems, but speed is not one of them.
    Also, are you sure your stick is calibrated properly? Because the P-38 in WB takes off in a dead straight line. No veering off to either side at all.

P.S. Bah, what am I saying ... of course there is such a feature, as Fucketeer just reminded me. But it's not quite enough to compensate for the 38's tendency to break out to one side when flying on one engine.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  7. Red Ant

Unfortunately, rudder trim doesn't really go far enough, i.e I need more than full trim to one side can provide. :(

8. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

And that's how it should be.

9. Red Ant

Oh, it's easy for you to say that if you only fly one-engined planes! :p I know it's probably the way it was in the real P-38. But somehow I think keeping your foot on a pedal is just a tad easier and more precise than twisting your stick to one side and keeping it that way while maneuvering, so it would be cool if the game offered a way to alleviate that task.

10. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

Yes. What about soldering a pot there, with a switch? You could then adjust rudder precisely with the pot and then leave it there. I don't play flightsims nowadays.

11. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Steer with rudder. DON'T pull or push the stick. DON'T rock it right or left. Just steer it.
    Then press f12.

Yep. That is about as mickey mouse as it gets.

12. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

that's probably why they have pedals in real planes, and not twisting sticks :p

13. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

yeah, just recenter your stick after i shoot your engine out

14. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

16. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

Its easy with a Saitek X52...just set up one of the modes with twist disabled, then change to that mode when the need arises. Which makes me wonder if one of the sticksets would achieve the same thing?

17. FranzAugust

FranzAugust Well-Known Member

Please join the server and fly together with us. It is so much fun! :D :D

18. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

RedAnt you have these F1-F4 + 'SHIFT' buttons on the stick...
    Would maybe be possible to map SHIFT+F1 as left rudder and SHIFT+F2 as right rudder?
    mappin keys suxx though. If I was to reinstall it'd take me a week to get it fixed as I have it now :D

19. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

i removed rudder pot from stick and had soldered it on the throttle, it works fine and all is in hands :)

20. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Got a picture of that setup?