Game is called "Dangerous Waters"

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by biles, Feb 10, 2006.

1. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Game is called "Dangerous Waters"

I got this game calle "dangerous waters."
    I had an earlier game by these guys called 688i.

It is naval warfare, or should I say, combat.
    Tense.

I will turn it on while fartin around at home and when I hear the Officer On Deck call me, I drop whatever I am doing and go to the game to see what nasty suprise there is.

You can be in a couple different EX-Soviet submarines [poor bastards having to pawn their hardware to Commie Chinks and North Koreans, life must be hard when you have to sell all your weapons because you are broke and can't crew them yourself, eh?] or in a couple different Yankee subs [none from England, damn, cause I think they got great stuff in their navy, but we all know, ONLY the USA COUNTS].
    You can crew a Yankee Frigate, which is my favorite, I never mastered undersea warfare.
    You can also crew either of two aerial platforms to hunt subs or shadow surface ships.

Soon, there will be some hacks that aloow me to choose vessels from other places, as I am not a great fan of Yanks/Commies/Muslim world dominance bullshit thingie. I want to sail in a nice little Scottish Frigate and chase after Portugese Fishing vessels and such [yes, I do].

ANyways, what am I getting at?
    oh, the game. Fuck is it ever great. If you leave the time compression alone, you get a real good feel for the scope and distances involved, the long stretches of tedium [abstracted in the game, there is NO bored or mutinous crew in my living room, okay?] punctuated by sheer fuckin unadulterated terror [again, abstracted, I don't shit my pants and attempt mutiny over a game....] as you track a torpedo 15000 meters from you as it zigs and zags. You can hear the pings get faint and fainter and then a little louder and a bit louder yet and then their frequency picks up and the amplitude stops varying and you know it is coming YOUR WAY FUCK.

Not as fast paced as air combat flight sims, but there is a similar complexity level. Tactics and platform knowlege are nessesary, very nessesary. You can do something yesterday that gets your ship sunk today.

I recommend this game.
    [patches available called 'realism' which make the different weapons systems behave more realistically. The producers of the sim were very limited because of the fact they made sims for the US Navy, so they just mad, for instance, ALL torps go 50 knots and ALL ASuW missiles travel at mach 2... etc]

Buy the game. If you don't like it, well, put it in the place you keep the thousands of other games you don't like ;)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  2. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

Re: Game is called "Dangerous Waters"

This is the Falcon 4.0 of naval sims :) I guess it would take years of practice to be somewhat efficient with manual station controls :eek:

3. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Well, yes. That is a good analogy.
    There is Otto. That said, I find Otto doesn't ID contacts as quickly, at times, as I can do it. But the only part of the sim I do better than Otto at is Visually IDing vessels using periscope or binocular. Often, if you can see him with your eyeballs, you are soon dead.

And manual torpedo solutions? Jeez, you can actually do this stuff in the game. There is 600 or so pages in the manual and much of it is explained, just like it was in Falcon 4's 27,000 page manual.

Sometimes, just for fun, I sail around machine gunning sailboats and trawlers.

4. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

i had best fun with seahawk in there. droping SB, finding nothing, droping SB somewhere else, sniffing with dipping sonar, finding possitions of sub with crossing signals from few SB, looking for 3 fuckin dots and guessing is this maiking noise like sub or fuckin fish :D can be strange, but whole sonarwork i was doing myself, only thing i switched on auto was driving that heli. rotor was to weak for my emergenty braking ;)

5. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Be careful to not use active sonar SBs. It seems to make the AI subs get real paranoid and slow down to Quiet Running.
    You are probably much better at the birds than I, all I can do is fly around listening with my dipper to The Sounds Of Nuthin.
    Shit, I can't track subs worth a damn. Yet. This is gonna be a steep and fun learning curve. I have lots of "I Am Doing Nothing Anyway" time, so I may do it. Then again, Falcon 4 sits and sits and sits, even though I had a lot of time to learn all of it's foibles and tricks.
    I am badly frightened of the Online version. I would just get humiliated and my nice shiney Seawolf would be fish food.

6. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

I have played 'sub command' - sub sim. Nice game, prequel for 'dangerous waters' (both games are using the same engine). It is not that hard to master undersea warfare... I recommend this game for patient persons with a lot of time to spare. Play online.

7. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

Biles, I must admit that you have fallen from the skies for me this time! :) Just when I was looking for good modern subs warfare sim...

Thanks mate,

8. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

I got that one. It's not too bad. Misses some background here and there, but ah well, you can always imagine that on your own.

Not a bad game at all. I liked it. Gotta be in the mood, and the mood's gotta be patient to really like it. I'm not always patient, don't always like it.

Should try Silent Hunter III, it's a WWII subsim thingy. Not too bad either. Bores after a while too, but it's got style. Nice graphics too, brilliant weather and sea effects. Near useless torpedo's though.

<Z>

9. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

i'm using them only if i had good fix from crossing signals when i'm about dropping torpedo. When you drop active SB very nearenemy sub he's turning WEP ON :D then you it's just fatality with torp