FH Troubleshooting help

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by -nicae-, Feb 5, 2002.

1. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

FH Troubleshooting
    For additional help, post your questions in this forum.

1. I use Windows 2000/Windows XP and WB in 3D mode but the game crashes when I switch planes.

If you are running Windows 2000 and want to be able to play in 3D you will probably need to remove a tick from "Display properties>Effects>Use transition effects for menus and tooltips", otherwise WB may crash when you change the plane.

2. When I try to fly online I receive a message telling me my misc.bin doesn't correspond to the server's.

This is means you have the wrong version of WB. iEN has released 3 builds of v2.77r3. FH uses build 2, and the one at iEN's site is build 3. This means you have to download WB from FH servers. You can find it at the FH Site.

3. 3. When I log into FH it says that my .exe file doesn't correspond to the server's.

This problem is caused by a virus, most commonly being the CIH virus. It infects all .exe files you use until a certain date, when it damages your BIOS. There are programs on the internet that clean your executables from this virus. You may need to reset your computer in MS-DOS mode to clean Windows-used files too. Luckily WB works as a great virus detector. :)

4. When I try to log on I receive this message: "Cannot resolve IP Address of arena"

If you are having this problem, you must create (edit if it is already existent) a new file names hosts (without extension). To do so, write this sting into a new file in notepad:
    195.208.34.5 wb.chph.ras.ru

Save the file as "hosts" without any extension with the following path:

C:\Windows\hosts (for Win95, Win98)
    C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (for Win2000)
    If the problem persists, include all other IP addresses located in FHLauncher into the hosts file too. Example:

212.57.99.13 wb.chph.ras.ru
    24.24.176.16 wb.chph.ras.ru
    212.82.194.138 wb.chph.ras.ru
    195.208.34.5 wb.chph.ras.ru
    200.220.5.19 wb.chph.ras.ru
    195.208.34.28 war.chph.ras.ru
    195.178.208.152 wb.chph.ras.ru

5. I receive this message when hitting a con/commando: "You are not present in victim's DB"

Suddenly FH started having troubles with invisible human acks and aircraft. To counter that, FH developers added some script to avoid killing when both are not visible to each other, making the hits not count. This is the technical explanation given by exec:

I don't know what happened with the server, but some invisibles appeared. Every player is represented on the server by a, let's say, "shadow". Let's call them MyShadow and HostileShadow (and FriendlyShadow, as well, but it's out of our interest). Player A has ShadowA and player B has ShadowB on the server, respectively. When we suppose to be player A, we choose, as mentioned above, MyShadow and HostileShadow.

Every shadow has a list of nearby shadows which is named "DB", standing for database. DB is capable of storing 31 other shadows (+1 for the player's own shadow).

It could happen that MyShadow does not contain HostileShadow reference, but HostileShadow has MyShadow reference, or vice versa. It means that one shadow is not aware of other's presence. Therefore an invisible player can attack another that cannot see him.

To avoid it, a temporary (or constant) decision was taken by Aike. The server now tries to check whether both of shadows know about each other. If not, the attack is discarded with the message "You are not present in victim's DB". However, it seems that this logic is not quite debugged yet, since in some cases both players see each other but one or both cannot attack.

This also happens with commandos.

6. My radar stops working sometimes when I'm in the tower.

There are rumors that say there is a network protocol bug or a gameplay error. When a radar is destroyed the entire picture vanishes. You may jump into a human ack and out to refresh it.

7. I can't login a) because my password is considered wrong, but it's right b) with my old callsign and it asks for a new one.

If you are having problems with logins and/or passwords, contact archer. Provide him with details on your situation. His email is at FH's site. Alternatively, You can contact him through the FH Forum.

8. My FH Launcher freezes when I double-click the arena to join.

You can try two things: shut off your "smooth fonts" effect in windows, or try to close FH Launcher with program killers such as "End it All". It should work then.

Last edited: May 11, 2002
    1 person likes this.
  2. spolik

spolik New Member

ad 1)

I can't find this fields on mz Win XP. Con You help me?

3. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

transition effects under win xp

hi spolik,

in win xp you will find the effects under
    "display properties->appearance->effects"
    or
    (as administrator) also (by right-clicking "my computer") under
    "system properties->advanced->system ressources->visual effects", where you can anyway choose the "optimized for speed"-option.

4. Pacifista

Pacifista New Member

I'm having a different kind of trouble here... It's kind of hard to explain so I'll write exactly what is happening:
    I used to play Warbirds here at FH without any problem when the launcher was 1.5, then, when I started using 1.51 well... I click on "Go online" (that is checked with Windows XP compatibility to Windows 98), it runs normally... then I write my loggin stuff (name and password) and it's still pretty normal... then I click on the arena and again, normal... BUT, when the game really starts, the beacons first goes green, then yellow, then red! But WB isn't freezing!!! I can select my plane, enter the options, exit the game, but i cannot receive/send messages and/or go fly!!!

I did the "save host file" thing, and the "disable effect" thing... but still nothing... The worst is that, NOTHING changed in my computer EXCEPT the version of the launcher... I mean... It used to work just fine!!!

What the heck is happening?!?!

Well... I really hope you guys can understand my confuse english, because there's been a while since the last time I wrote something in english... :)

Thanks, everyone!

5. dr----

dr---- Well-Known Member

Proxy

Please write about firewall/proxy setting.

Which ports I need to open for FHL, Warbirds?

6. Stefan

Stefan FH Beta Tester

Re: Proxy

7. dr----

dr---- Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Proxy

Only one this port both for FHLauncher and for game?
    UDP? TCP?

8. sr----

sr---- Well-Known Member

tcp 19243 пашет отлично и на ма и на та, и так в течении несколькоих лет :)

WBR sr----

9. dr----

dr---- Well-Known Member

Открыл этот порт. Лянчер заработал. Прокси адреса пропинговались.
    Соединился, получил список арен.
    Выбрал арену, запросили игровой id, ввел, сказали занят, ввел другой - после этого тишина, желтый бекон, потом красный.

Может еще что-то надо открыть? Какой-нибудь пинг порт etc?

Вы работаетет за firewall/proxy?

У меня то адрес внутренний, через наш прокси иду, может это серверу не нравится?

10. sr----

sr---- Well-Known Member

У меня работает именно через nat, с внутреннего адреса. В онлайн абсолютно без проблем :0 Выглядит это где-то так (я на ма на полосе сегодня):

Активные подключения

Имя Локальный адрес Внешний адрес Состояние
    TCP lsw:1209 cndr.chph.ras.ru:19243 ESTABLISHED
    UDP lsw:nbname *:*
    UDP lsw:nbdatagram *:*

Да, icmp для себя немного приоткрыл, но все работало и до этого без него.
    Проблем с коннектом никаких.

WBR sr----

11. dr----

dr---- Well-Known Member

Спасибо, все заработало. Проблема была в 195.208.34.5, на него не коннектилось.

12. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

When I try to start the FHLauncher I get a 'Incorrect path to Warbirds' error. Only it doesn't say which path it is expecting. :confused:

(Windows XP here)

13. Red Ant

Anyone know how to fix the problem?

14. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

actually it is not a question for such a thread.
    this is some kind of announcement, document, may be.
    well, personally i consider it is not for discussion.
    probably i am wrong.
    however, i don't want to talk in this thread.

15. Red Ant

Okay, sorry for messing up your precious announcement thread then. Hmpf! Which thread/forum would be an appropriate place to ask my question? :help:

16. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

i don't like your derision.
    excuse me for messing in, sincerelly.
    probably you can find more communicative people.

17. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

(communicable)

18. Red Ant

Well ... never mind, eh?

19. BonesD

BonesD New Member

В чем проблема? Скачиваю WB и WB Launcher с вашей странички, но при нажатии на "Fly" он ругается на несоответствие файла misc.bin. Вроде как все должно работать, если судить по обещаниям на http://www.wbfree.net/download.php :)

20. vulnact

vulnact New Member

When i start FHLAUNCHER.EXE windows write message "Invalid wsock32.dll. Please reinstall FreeHost Launcher. I install fh version 1.63 and 1.64. not working :(