Strategic Bombing and Game Balance

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by HoHun, Jul 14, 2002.

1. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi everyone,

Game balance as I'd like to discuss it here is that both sides have equal chances regardless of the number of players online on each side. Quality of flying should count, not quantity of aircraft.

Currently, it's easy to see that game balance is poor. The side with the superior numbers wins, with only few exceptions.

Here's a simple way of combining strategic bombing as it already exists on Freehost with the idea that the air forces have to be supported by production and logistics. This combination leads to greatly improved game balance, too:

Strategic bombing (already exists):

- When not bombed, a country's economy is at 100% and allows normal rebuild times for all friendly ground targets.

- When factories or cities are bombed, a country's economy drops below 100%, and rebuld times for friendly ground targets are longer.

Logistics (new):

- When an aircraft takes off, a country's economy is reduced by (for example) 0.5%. This reflects that some effort is spent by the ground crew for every mission that is flown (working time, ammunition, fuel etc.)

- When the aircraft lands on a friendly field, the country's economy is raised by 0.5% again. This reflects that the ground crew is ready again, the air field has been re-supplied with fuel etc.

Production (new):

- When an aircraft's flight ends in its destruction (kill, bail, ditch), the country's economy is reduced by 0.5% for 3000 s. This reflects that a new aircraft has to be built, which takes some time of course.

(The values are only for the sake of the example, they'd have to be chosen based on actual arena experience.)

The benefits of this system:

The side with superior numbers usually has more aircraft in the air. This means that the economy will be at a slightly lower value (at 30:40 it's 85:80 for example), so that the side with inferior numbers will have the benefit of a shorter rebuild time. It will be easier to defend own fields and to attack enemy fields which will help to make up for inferior numbers.

The side that is using wasteful tactics, with many aircraft shot down by the enemy or by acks, will feel the effects of poor tactics by having its economy reduced as factories are busy replacing the aircraft losses. If the 30 defenders shoot down 60 planes in 3000 s, losing only 30 themselves, they are obviously fighting very well.

In my example, they'd be rewarded by an economy balance of 70:50 in their favour, so that they'd have a noticably shorter rebuild time than the enemy.

As the game is now, there can be no doubt that side with 30 defenders would lose the field-taking game against the 40 attackers no matter how well the defenders fly. With the economy balance in their favour, they have at least a chance of holding some fields or capturing some of the enemy.

Additional improvements (optional):

- It might be a good idea to make the logistics and production impact of aircraft depend on the number of their engines. That's roughly how it compared in real life, too - single-engined planes were easy to produce and usually had a crew of one or two, twins were more expensive and could have a crew of 3 or more, and the large four-engined bombers were great combat platforms eating tons of fuel each mission, required a ten-man crew, and had to be supported by hordes of ground personnel :)

- As icing on the cake, new types could be made more expensive, too. (They usually are, as mass production hasn't been established and they require close engineering supervision to cure teething troubles.) So when one side gets a new Überplane, everyone will still fly it of course, but at least the side stuck with old crates would have rebuild times modified in their favour.

Hey, this idea is simple AND effective at the same time - everyone should really LOVE it! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

2. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

I LOVE it.

I rate this thread [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2002
  3. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

i loved it :)

but there are some details that should be thought about:
    1. we already saw those people who changed sides to nail the other's runway. with this mechanism, they could ruin the game of the whole country, not only of a field.

2. 0.5% is quite alot if you are to consider those 30:40 pilots. maybe there could be some formula that depends on the amount of total pilots, making the value smaller as the number of players increases. but as you said, this has to be tuned with experimenting.

but still, i love it :)
    and i just noticed illos reply. i too give [​IMG] :)

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Something mystical must have happened... :D

In this week we are seeing an overflow of good/great ideas for FH evolution here in this forum!

You have my support, Ho, the Hun!! :)

5. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Nicae,

>1. we already saw those people who changed sides to nail the other's runway. with this mechanism, they could ruin the game of the whole country, not only of a field.

You're right, unfortunately. It could be solved by just counting one destroyed plane per nickname per 60 s. That way, only a very patient and determined saboteur could make a noticable impact. I think saboteurs usually give up after 5 min :)

>0.5% is quite alot if you are to consider those 30:40 pilots.

I think it's about right for these numbers. The effect of rebuild times is rather subtle I think. With 60:80 online, rebuild times will be even longer. Of course, experiments will be necessary :)

Maybe we need instant recapture like Air Warrior had it as fields can be down a bit longer. (That is, troops can recapture a field that has just been lost without having to wait for a re-up.) That makes for much better battles anyway as the attackers turn into defenders and continue to fight, while the defenders now become attackers immediately.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

6. -nicae-

1 per 60s.. hmmm sounds reasonable :)

about the %:
    if 30:40 are online, it would make for at least 85%:80% economy. thats a really hard impact. well.. maybe it will end up not being in practice. lets just try this idea :)))

and about instant recapute: IMHO, one change at a time :)

7. modano

modano Active Member

Sounds interesting.

So, basically, the side with the most planes in the air is handicapped in rebuild time. Is that the bottom line?

Aside:
    I wish I could find more pilots willing to do coordinated buff raids. So far this week, I've rolled a B24 at least 6 times, and I've had a wingman only twice. Even then, it was just the two of us.

8. gahis

gahis FH Sound Developer

good idea :)

9. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

I like the idea, although I'd make it something like 0.5% * number of engines. Bombers shouldn't be thrown away carelessly.

I don't think numbers play -that- big of a role, though. 30vs40 is a negligible difference IMO, only when it starts getting to a 2:1 ratio does it really get out of hand. Coordination really is a huge force multiplier. What appeals to me more about this idea is penalizing kamikazes.

BTW, the outnumbered side is already rewarded by gaining more points for their trouble (multiplied by the player ratio)

10. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Who cares about points?

11. -nicae-

duh illo! [​IMG]

everyone wants to get into the hall of fame!
    now wheres that link to the HoF again... [​IMG]

12. -nicae-

btw u spend too much time on this forum :)

13. beerme

beerme Well-Known Member

HoHun, I like this Idea! As usual you show yourself as the thinking man's FH pilot!<S>
    :@prayer: :cheers:

14. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

I LOVE IT !!!

When we'll have it ? :)

kidding, but a VERY nice idea, admins, pls take a close look on this one.

15. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

cool idea, HoHun.
    when i be able to write an economics/logistics/strategy project, i will include it. may i? :)

16. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Exec.
    I think you should introduce idea to russian part of forums. This will be sure worth of trying in future.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2002
  17. achtun

achtun Well-Known Member

great idea ;)

18. -nicae-

i remember a quote from exec towards illo.. i think its valid for hohun too:

do we have to beat hohun up to get all the useful stuff we can from him? :D

19. Maletin

Maletin Well-Known Member

Shame on me: I tried recapture on monday.
    And the Paras went in the destroyed Twr without effects.
    Maybe it's like it was 'once upon a time' and the recapture is only working, after twr is up again. if so, i prefer this setting.

but i would love hennings settings!