Old School WB Footage

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Uncles, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Wow, the sounds and sights bring back memories :)

Flk and Archer like this.
  2. wabwab

wabwab Well-Known Member

Beautiful

3. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I could never warm up to the poorly done cockpits in that version of Warbirds. The much older Warbirds 2 had much better looking cockpits. o_O

4. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Yo, Red Ant! Interesting comment about the cockpit graphics. I have a confession to make. A few years ago I bought one of those flightsim cockpits, with very "realistic" seat, three monitors, all kinds of hardware (three-monitor display, etc.). I think I wasted about $2,000 on it. But I got rid of it all a few months ago. I really think that I experienced the most fun/joy flying early WarBirds and FreeHost, as you suggest, and flying Red Baron on a Mac in 1994.

I think the technology needs to be wedded to the human imagination. More and more I realize that even the most advanced consumer electronics don't really provide the best experiences; nothing is better than human imagination. And there is no AI now that can do what we as people do continuously -- we can't stop processing, and we process better than any system. Sorry, I got off topic, but more and more I think everyone should read about Norbert Wiener and cybernetics :)

looseleaf likes this.
  5. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

I've got to confess the best single player combat flight sim for me was SWOTL. Lucas Battle of Brittan was fun too but cruder graphics.
    All they had to do was improve the graphics just a little. When you played on monitors that could do 1280X1024 the pics started to look too "blockish", the jaggies were showing-up.
    There were lots of third party tweeks and TSRs that one could change the game to night flights, modify planes, save/recover pilots lives....
    I still kept the game on hard drives and most of the books.
    That was the high point for me. games after that were just too complicated for leisure play.

It's a shame that FHWB is fading into oblivion. It's still a valid online game as is. Aces High is too structured and over complicated.

No matter all the arguing and heated discourse and sometimes not quite above board playing.... FHWB was/is a fantastic game and I thank all the people that made it possible.

bizerk likes this.
  6. wabwab

wabwab Well-Known Member

I could and i liked it.

looseleaf likes this.
  7. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

I agree looseleaf I too miss those days with friends and foes. Hats off to all that made it possible.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    looseleaf likes this.
  8. wabwab

wabwab Well-Known Member

Can FHWB be revived?

bizerk and looseleaf like this.
  9. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

What4?

10. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Fantastic recording! I'm still having problems adjusting my joystick for offline play!!!!
    It jumps and jitters all over!!! I can't remember( if I ever did) setting-up the joystick on the FH joystick deadband grid.
    Is there somewhere on the site that can explain the settings?
    I've got a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X