Plague!

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by -frog-, Mar 13, 2020.

1. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

(sorry for that catchy title)

How are you folks doing in the face of the new coronavirus?
    We're in partial lockdown here, in Poland, the schools closed on Wednesday, same with theaters, museums, cinemas, etc. The pubs, all shopping malls, restaurants and clubs will close tomorrow.

There were just several dozen cases (including 7 in my city), but the panic is what gets me.
    I closed my office yesterday, witnessing stores being virtually emptied, at least when it comes to toilet paper, pasta, rice, groats, soap and canned meat. Today I saw piles of toilet paper, at discount prices (at least the reaction of commercial companies seems healthy here). My GP does not work. Not a single GP works in my city. They offer phone consults, and should they find you sick (during a remote consult - LMAO)... they issue electronic prescriptions, so you don't have to bother them in person.

2. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I've been working from home for the last 3 days and will continue to do so for (at least) the next 2 weeks. This morning I got an email saying that one of the guys in our office might have caught the virus, and now it looks like the whole office might get shut down soon, anyway. I'm actually kind of surprised by the sluggish response of German authorities to this whole mess. All our neighboring countries seem to act a lot more decisively; although in my laymen opinion, it seems a lot like EVERYBODY woke up to this crisis a bit late. We knew what was coming, I don't get why we wasted precious weeks shying away from taking the measures that we all knew would be necessary in the end, anyway.

vasco likes this.
  3. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

SO many of you I love so much.

looseleaf likes this.
  4. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

[even that Antred Guy ;) ]
    Peace and bless you all

5. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Went to get groceries from my local store in the morning.
    The store only lets 5 people in at a time, there's a line marked on the floor and the customers are required to stand behind it.
    We (was walking my doggie and my bored daughter) went past the pharmacy too.
    There's just one person allowed in, and it has to stand 3 metres away from the pharmacist, the word of mouth has it that they'll soon cease to accept paper (hardcopy) prescriptions.
    There was a dozen new cases last night, 5 of these in my small city.

6. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I live in a retirement home. It is for screwed-up and mostly old people who can't walk or have to shit into a bag and stuff like that. Not me I had a heart attack, so I got rent for really cheap here... . 1000 people on this 4[?] hectare lot. Lots of crazy people too, in my land, crazy people are allowed into social housing, and that bugs the shit out of me, never-mind.
    In each of the buildings are, in the halls, by the elevators, little bottles that squirt some disinfectant into the palm when pressed.
    I have been here for 6 years and I have never seen those things working, never ever filled with any disinfectant. Neglected, cracked, some of them dismantlement [vandalised].
    6 fucking years.
    Some of the bitchy entitled 'seniors' here have been loudmouths to management and demanded that management FILL THOSE UP!
    6 years.
    Management never, since I moved here, filled those up NONE OF THEM. Not once, not ever.
    I have talked with some of those entitled old people.
    I have seen printed sheets, in the lobbies, where the mail boxes are, stuck to a cork-board that claim, FUCK. FIX WALKWAYS. REPLACE LIGHTS. INSTALL HAND SANITISERS
    6 years the Management Company hasn't done any more than is on their contract.
    They did not fill the hand santisers. during the six years I have been here.

THIS IS A HOSPITAL!!!!!!!!
    WTF????
    Now the things have been quietly ALL FILLED UP AND REPAIRED.

I see hand-coughers everywhere and people who hawk and spit on the walk and cough and blow snot around while outside, in my air, your air. SAVAGES
    I get in a buss, train or plane and I get sick within a day. I know why.
    [this place I am in is an old folks home, different] I stay out of Giant hospitals , those people cause us humans terrible resistant bacteria with their slop it on everything, everywhere, over-application of Miracle Cleaning Chemicals.
    Helicopter parents?
    DON'T GET ME STARTED
    We need [humans need] to learn the rules of SHAME.
    This plague is just one of many. What is this one gonna be like?
    Is this the end?
    My mum hasn't gone out for a week. Neither have I [I go to short trips. to get some groceries. I don't know how mum does that].

We humans crashed before, it has happened before.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    looseleaf likes this.
  7. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Went to the pharmacy and to buy some brewskies (pubs are closed, so you have to intoxicate yourself at home) tonight.
    The pharmacy looks like a cheap science-fiction decoration.
    The counter, and the entire personel area are secured with something that resembles thick, gardening plastic film (the one you erect temporary greenhouses with), with just tiny openings cut out - one for you to collect your medicines, the other to reach the debit card terminal.
    Huge pharmacy (usually with 6 pharmacists working during the day, and 3 in the evening [it's open till 10 PM])... but only one person allowed in at a time.

After doing the shopping there I went to the local offie.
    And guess what?
    No film.
    But a hand sanitizer, one person in only rule, and "we prefer contactless payments" too.

Good thing people take it seriously, but I wonder how helpful it will be.
    The number of "positives" doubled today (topping 100), it went downhill from that in other countries, so I expect no better to happen here.
    Borders will close for passenger traffic (goods will still travel) in less than 2 hours from now, we'll become an isolated country for the first time in over three decades.

8. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

[deleted]
    I am sick.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  9. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

looseleaf likes this.
  10. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Go on a protest!!!! Get a tent, for 199.99 ON SALE!!!!!
    From whom? At the Cosco!!!!!

11. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

This is way better music.
    I have cut my [COSTLY ] internet monthly-bills. I will have enough money at the last week of my budget-month for some escapism [If I live through this strep throat or whatever it is - I should be okay, chicken soup is always good]

12. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

13. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I have lost my voice.
    I have strep throat.
    I have had it about ten times since I was a boy.
    I will get over it.
    I am looking forward to a Nice Big Steak and a Pint of beer.
    In a couple days.
    Or a week.

14. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

What the fuck do all the sheeple do with the toilet paper I have read can't be found in stores?
    Do they wipe their asses with it?
    Do they eat it?

15. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

It's starting to get bad here too. Face masks can't be found anymore. Nor any sanitisers. Politicians are using the scarce testing kits for themselves. The shitty PM called a press conference with 150 people only to tell them he's getting himself into quarantine. While being in the same room with 150 people! Then he gave them testing kits! Which are scarce!

Another politician happily announced on FB that he tested negative twice! There are doctors and nurses working continuously who won't be given kits for themselves, although they're in constant danger!

In the meantime, gotta get new skills. Some smart people from Hong Kong are sharing a tested DIY face masks method.
    https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/news/specials/2020/mask-diy-tips.html

16. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

We had the same discussion here. It seems that the stores keep quite small stocks, because this stuff is cheap while large, and that's why it's rather unprofitable.

17. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet.

(pun intended :D)

hezzey likes this.
  18. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

19. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Flu and pneumonia?? numbers about those are deceptive, like statistics and diagnoses about fibromyalgia and Ague
    Bullshit cited to prove more bullshit
    Flue is real, BUT WHICH FLU?
    Pneumonia is what, Viral [or is that bacterial, I can't remember] pneumonia or the symptomatic type, which is just a collection of [often concocted] symptoms. A WET COUGH IS pneumonia.
    PFT.

20. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Meanwhile in Warsaw.
    9 AM today: