Covid

Discussion in 'Warbirds General Discussion' started by vasco, May 4, 2020.

1. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

2. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

So one suicide is now an epidemic?
    Ok.

Here in Russia we do not really care about western "news" about us anymore.

3. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Well, they say it's the third such suicide.
    But are they reported on the news in Russia, at least as accusations, if not as truth?

4. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

You can not call a suicide someone who fell out of second floor window and not even seriously injured in progress.
    I guess someone just wanted a press attention.
    As a rule there can be no good news about Russia.
    And bad news are usually blown out of proportions.

P.S. Radio Freedom Liberty my ass.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  5. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

The day there wouldn't be bad news about my country, I would leave it.
    No bad news means no transparency.

6. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

Transparency must not come through tinted and deformed glass.

That's even worse than no transparency at all.

7. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Of course there is biased media, that's natural.
    But there's nothing worse than no transparency at all.

8. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.

Have it your way. As i said dont really care about western media.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  9. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Outside news about our own countries might awaken sensibilities in us (it's the same here), but most of the times they talk about governments being mean.
    Most people in Romania are glad when government corruption is unveiled in the international media, because it adds power to our protests.
    And protest is patriotic.

10. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

The fewest tests in the entire EU are performed in Poland and Romania.
    The corruption of our government is even greater than that of yours (they've just spent millions of PLN on elections that they'll never organize... although the entire opposition told them it was impossible to organize it... and they (until last week) insisted they were perfectly OK to organize it).
    It's just that our general secretary has more money to bribe the "ordinary citizen" than yours, that your society is starting to awaken.
    We need a full scale crisis for that... I fear.

11. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I think many have awaken here in the last few years, I'm very optimistic, to be honest.
    Just last month, journalists have protested against a law that would have granted them income tax exemption, because they saw it as what it was, an attempt to bribe them.
    In the end, the law didn't pass.
    Also, during the last three years, we had large scale protests against corruption and abuses, to which blue collar people attended more that ever. The people are becoming more and more immune to politicians' attempts to bribe them. The corruption is a big theme here, I'm amazed it's such minor one in the West, where sometimes so many people seem to trust their own govts blindly.

For the moment, the developed countries have proven that, given a serious crisis, they're able to mess up even worse then the eastern idiots.
    I too hope something will change after this. My hopes are for more integration, a lot more state and less business in certain sectors, like pharma research, where profitability reasons now dictate, rather than public needs.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  12. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

At the beginning, the Romanian govt tried to cover everything up, reporting Covid deaths as deaths by other causes, when comorbidities were present.
    Later on, given the low number of deaths (due, in part, to cover-up, but mostly to efficient laws restricting mobility), they became more sincere. Probably because they needed the deaths to justify keeping the restrictions, when they were confronted with pressure to relax them.

13. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Well - our govt just dropped the number of tests performed from some 14 thousand a day, to just 7.
    All they've managed to do, before the "elections" (that they failed to perform anyway - they were due to be held on Sunday) was to "flatten the curve".
    All this went bust in recent days with Upper Silesia and the Coal Basin.
    As they have stopped testing (because they needed low figures to justify elections) some miners got sick. Still - coal miners frequently suffer from lung diseases, such as pneumoconiosis or the COPD, so even as some got sick, no one thought to test them. Out of the 240 cases reported this morning (our Ministry of Health reports new cases twice or thrice a day, so this is likely between half of today's figure and less than that) 204 are from Silesia alone.