Plague!

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by -frog-, Mar 13, 2020.

1. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

And?
    Where are you with your limitations today?
    We still have 300 cases a day here, but the medical services learned how to deal with it, and the bug is no longer spreading fast (it's rather about fighting isolated "pockets", after having them isolated beforehand as part of preventive measures, than "fishing in the large pond" now).
    Unless something really bad happens in connection with the new presidential elections (they've butchered the first attempt at holding it), we might get away with just a scare (at least till fall).

2. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

This sounds optimistic. Here everything went to hell. Like everywhere else, the state of emergency ended some time ago, in May. Now er have a "state of alert" which imposes some mild limitations regarding gatherings and makes compulsory the use of masks in closed public spaces. The church mob (the orthodox christian one, the big player here) got very vocal so the govt allowed the organising of the masses inside, with limitations regarding the distance and number of persons. I wouldn't bet they're respected.
    Masks are worn only inside the bigger stores now, because they must keep an eye on that and take your temperature as you enter. Art gatherings are banned, but the party clubs on the seaside are crowded. I see very few people wearing masks out of caution.
    We still have 300+ new cases a day, which is a lot. It's not pockets, but community transmission. The quarantine is no longer legal, as the ministerial order imposing it was declared unconstitutional by the Constitutional Court (a body of politically appointed pseudo-judges; many of them, including the head, aren't judges). This time, the Court had some arguments indeed. A proper, voted law, was needed for that. So carriers got out of quarantine centres, nobody could stop them anymore.
    My guess is most of the people have lost their trust in scientific sources regarding this COVID. There's a very low level of scientific education here, which makes things worse - although the school curricula have always been very ambitious and the people here have a very good image of themselves, the same as toddlers do.
    I think some in our govt are still worried, there were some "guys, take it seriously" messages, but they lack the courage to reinstate the restrictions. They play in line with the other european govts, that's my guess. And none of them seemed keen to prolong the emergency states.

3. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

It does not sound optimistic (I mean the news from Romania).
    There's always the clergy. You have the Orthodox church, we've got the main mob (the Roman-Catholic branch thereof).
    There were 52 cases in my region (lubelskie voivodeship) last weekend.
    2 of them from border quarantine, 50 from church in Piszczac municipality, bialski powiat (similar to a county in UK).
    Padre contracted it somewhere and passed it down to those, who are still not believing in the saving grace of our lord, FSM and pray to some makeshift gods.
    Now they've locked the town hall and the market in Piszczac, quarantining more than a 1000.
    Here the quarantine orders are still in force, and the number of cases has dropped to some 200 a day now.

As far as shopping is concerned most of the small shops here fail to observe the "cover your mouth and nose" principle anymore, yet it is still in force (saw a police patrol in a shopping centre last Saturday, enforcing it). Till this very day no-one ever measured my temperature. Today I got measured at the entrance to the regional prosecutor's office (had a few documents to drop off there, yet I cycled to work and thought I will drop them later - I have barely arrived when they rung, saying they need it now - it was a "next door visit", yet I was still sweating like a pig (it was plus 26 already in the morning), having no chance to take a shower beforehand - of course the guard took me to the side and checked my temperature - I don't know how it's made in other countries, but here you will not walk into even a district prosecutor's office without a valid reason... not to mention the regional office, which is guarded like a castle - yet "as long as your face does seem familiar" you walk in by just showing your ugly face (last time I had to identify myself with an ID card was 5 years ago, when they changed the guards)).

4. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

When the COVID crisis started, our newly appointed health minister quit his job. He was there for corruption opportunities (there were strong suspicions for that), not for solving things out. His lieutenant became the new health minister and he did ok in many occasions. Lacking moral balls, also known as a spine in some species, but one can't ask too much.
    But yesterday he, unofficially for the moment, set the mark for the conditions that would require a new emergency state: 10.000 new cases in 3-4 days (one can only love the ambiguity). Now we have 600+ new cases and it's bad. Our treatment capacity didn't increase and we have doctors and nurses that "don't believe" in the reality of COVID. The state has long dumped the "it's just a flu, don't worry" discourse, but it finds new ways of justifying incompetence and inaction. Love them.

5. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I see the presidential race in Poland is a very close one. I guess you're hoping for signor Rafal to win, good luck!

6. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

We have some new words since the COVID crisis! The one I hate the most is "a termometriza", which would translate as "to thermometrise". It replaces the expression "to measure/take [one's] temperature".

I see the word popped out in Italian as well during the pandemic. But the French had already been using it in a vulgar manner.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  7. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I am told I am pedantic. When I heard that, I had to look it up. All I had on the shelf was a American Dictionary, so turned away and went to find out using a English Dictionary.

8. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

The Health Minister here is a sweet blonde lady.
    She is not taken seriously until soldiers come, and then The Sheep Look Up....

9. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

That's so fucking rude, it's like pointing at someone's appearance.

10. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Seriously, when the boss here tells me and almost everyone else in Canada what to do I usually do it and most Canadians too. We are still in lots of trouble.
    I think the Yankees will have a civil war. I hate that. I want some of their stuff before they explode in a ball of fire.

11. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Our health minister is sort of pretty, I didn't mean to be rude. The whole world is going crazy.

12. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Oh, no, I meant telling people they're pedantic is rude, like they told you.

13. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I think they're waking up. I have friends there who don't see it this way, but go "oh, look, they've topped our pretty statue". Fuck old statues, they should change them weekly.
    I have a friend playing in a rock band, playing for free in bars. He says that when a big band like Metallica comes for a concert, nobody's interested in their small band concerts for weeks, but prefer to listen to the same songs they've listened for years, played in the same fucking manner.

14. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I think it is sort of sad that the health minister here is applauded by the press for her red shoes. When I see stuff like that, it makes me suspicious, and I ask myself is that bullshit a mistake or is there a motive? The Lady who used to be pretty when she was 16 is now getting old, and yeah, she likes those red shoes. She is Minister Of Health here and that is a hard job. I don't care a bit about her shoes, she is doing a really hard job and she can close this whole place down, if she wanted to. I think she is gonna keep the thoughtless entitled Yankee tourists out of this place, perhaps call in the army?? She will do the best she can. I wouldn't want her job, she is a hero [heroine?]
    She is Dr Henry and is much better qualified for her post in government than many others here. I wish there were many more Cabinet misters that could actually do stuff, I mean, give orders that are not as if by a child.
    We have to keep the Yanks out of here, they still have not learned where to cough and spit yet, the soldiers will tell them, they will learn, some day.
    For now, most people here want the border closed, and we all know why. We can change our minds and we will, once the Yankees do some learning about freedom to move about. The don't have freedom to go anywhere they want, and never did, and none of us humans do, we all have to do as we are told. Sometimes our leaders are not fucking spoiled retards.
    The Yanks right now are learning some hard lessons. We, in Canada learned a few years some lessons before the Yanks. Sometimes the Yanks teach Canadians some stuff. Sort of like Finland and Sweden....... Sometimes We Canadians have to have to get a hit in the head before we learn too.
    This orderly thing, we Canadians do that better than the Yankees. Long ago Canadians learn to Get In Line and shut your yap, button your lip. People here can think what they want, and our crosswalks, on streets, are painted rainbow colours..... If a Canadian doesn't like that, than too bad, so sad, now shut-up!
    We usually do as we are told by our leaders [and the army that will come if we don't do as we are told]
    Yanks still have to learn what freedom is, they don't know, yet.
    We are tearing down statues like crazy, and we either are embarrassed or we are ashamed, it is time for some learning.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  15. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I believe it is a person that knows stuff like, um, what temperature alcohol freezes at or, um, how to tie knots that most people don't. How many strands of wire there are in a 120 V power cord............. Uh, perhaps I did not learn the definition after all????
    I be right back!

16. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Hi Vasco.
    Yes, I only learned the Old-Speak version of the definition of the word Pedantic.
    Excerpt From the Webster's 'American' Dictionary:
    Blah Blah Blah and "which originally wasn't a bad thing to be: a pedant was a household tutor or a schoolteacher"
    It was a Karen who told me I was pedantic.
    She puts a leash on her cat and I don't think she knows the new definition of Karen...

17. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Karen

hezzey likes this.
  18. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

19. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I see she's praised, I'm glad for you guys.

20. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Dr Bonnie Henry. Health Minister, BC, Canada. She could walk about in gumboots and I would not care, nor would most people here.