Famous German quotes

Discussion in 'Warbirds Deutsch' started by Mcloud, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Wenn dir der sächsische anhalt frosch schnitzelverein scheißegal ist, erwarte nicht, dass der sachsen anhalt frosch schnitzelverein dich scheiße macht.

Flk likes this.
  2. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I have no idea what that means. There are a couple cognates that I get but the rest is gibberish to me.
    Suppose that is it was meant, to be that, right?

3. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

He's crazy and likes to cook frogs ;) Let's dig some cool music. Remember this one? I heard it a grocery store the other day and I wanted to dance in the aisle.

4. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

He was a treasure.
    I remember well the Werewolves Of London but I was not subject to any more of his music for many years after that until his death recently (AM Radio days and my listening tastes were rather limited like anyone’s from listening to USA top forty of those days) which I heard about so of course heard about his songs and stuff…

After reading a bit about him and looking at a couple of YouTube documentaries (do not pay any attention to the television I do not use it and when one is within earshot of me I get away from it and never mind it’s just a pet peeve ). I realized after that he was really thoughtful and wrote genius stuff and was funny and poignant….

hey on the new theme you just made up have you ever heard of Ian Dury! (Was member of two bands that I know of one called Kilroy And The Highroads the other I know of was called Blockheads)

5. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

6. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Ian had polio as a young child and of course we all know what that can cause and yeah that caused those effects for him also so he was a disabled human being and he had a pretty rough childhood and of course he sang a bit about that.
    He had a weak spot in his heart for Special People.
    During his living years once he got famous he would get into the media and never failed to speak about life for disabled people and some of his songs were funny but they were also tragic.
    ….
    So he was bent and walked funny and that bothered him for his whole life.
    But he grew up got old matured a bit it was a genius and loved by millions.

I read that he did not die alone!

7. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

And here's Moondog

Fucking impressive life he had

8. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

(Shudder)
    (I say no more)

9. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

For shudder I get this meaning:

A shivering tremor, often from fear or horror.

Is the link I posted causing you such reaction? If so, this wasn't my intention, I was hoping someone might enjoy it.

10. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I shouldn’t have said a thing sorry. (Edited)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  11. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

That's ok.

I guess it all boils down to the "power of music".

hezzey likes this.
  12. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

That guy with the bushy white hair is/was the leader of the band or arranger or the conductor or something like that.
    I read, while I was in enduring the music video. I did so notice the band he had arranged was top notch it was elite it was as good as an impressive résumé for that old guy.
    (Oh yeah I noticed he looks like my brother or cousin or something, forget it…)

13. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

The old guy is a composer of serious symphonic minimalist music and also jazz, but one with a very peculiar life.
    He was blind, used to busk a lot, dressed as a viking and he called himself Moondog.

hezzey likes this.
  14. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

There was stuff I used to play on the hi-fi, when I was host, that were signals to all the guests that it is now time to get your boots and go home.

that was 40-some years ago. After putting that music on and watching the trickle of people leaving there would sometimes be a small handful of people who were still in socks and wanted more!

I understand!!!

vasco likes this.
  15. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Yeah I bought the album Trout Mask Replica and then 20 years after I bought it again in digital form.
    I never did get into the groove and twice I sent away my money…

that album probably lost me some friends that I really wouldn’t have given a fuck about anyway….. and in retrospect shrivelled old soul I really don’t give a fuck about them and I really didn’t.

BTW
    Van Vliet is/was Avent Garde and a one of a kind genius also…

I understand.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  16. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

have you ever listened and/or adored non-english-languaged songs?
    as i am russian-native-speaking, i loved (and still love) non-russian-language songs layed on good music due to my misunderstanding of sense - just nice melody and a voice as a part of that melody.
    when i start to understand words - i start to relive the craziness of lyrics author :)

OldUncles and vasco like this.
  17. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

So called King’s English.
    That is the language my speech and writing is modelled from. What was sort-of spoken by my friends and family when I was little and then from first grade up to the end it was The king’s English
    I only know a few cognates from other languages belonging to humans from mostly other places.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  18. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I am English speaking Canadian.

19. OldUncles

Ya, I remember Ian Drury. And that song you posted. Didn't really know much about him, so thanks for the reminder.

Zappa was a genius, but he seemed way too out there for me back in the '70s. Artsy for art's sake? Maybe I should reevaluate. His son Dweezil is a genius type himself and has been talking about Eddie Van Halen (a.k.a. The Best Ever) a lot lately.

20. OldUncles

IMHO, a wonderful radio station for Russian music is Nashe: https://www.nashe.ru

Good Russian rock is very interesting and complex, because there are elements of Russian culture, influences of "shanson," sometimes Western music, and so much more.

And to be honest, most Russian musicians are better educated than most Western musicians. They know about literature and history. Yes, I'm generalizing.

I'm an American kid playing stickball (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stickball), throwing a tennis ball at a strike zone spray painted on the side of a building. A metaphor. Sometimes my throws are close, other times... not so much. But I was a great stickball player as a boy in New York.

-nicae- likes this.