When I was 10 years old.

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by hezzey, Aug 29, 2021.

1. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

That was a really good summer I spent it at my Granny’s house a big farmhouse/mansion in a town call Langley.
    My mom packed me up and sent me there so that I could have a fun summer and now as I get older and more mature and so does she she admitted to me that she used to send me upcountry to get a break from me to get free of me and I wasn’t thinking, I was just a little kid, I had three other sisters and all of them would get sent away for similar reasons.
    At granniy’s there was a radio in the guestroom upstairs and I used to listen to it under my blankets and every time that I heard this/that song hit used to give me the blues.
    I knew, at 10 years old, my time on this planet was limited and I would also think oh I love this song so much what the hell is going to happen to me is this it?

it was a song by a band from England called Cream. (Or perhaps one of its other names please recall I mentioned the name change)
    I remember the band was shuffling members and changing its name and stuff like that but I really loved it and they used to get the blues knowing fully well what was coming…..
    (Oh once in to my teens I knew well who Eric Clapton was but I really didn’t know or care when I was 10)

I have not spent summer with granny Brown 50 years now. Soon after those days of me hiding in the guestroom and listening to that radio (There was a herd of 100 jersey cows who lived in the farm next-door and they would come in the morning and stare through ground foor windows) granny was packed-up and taken away to an old folks home and she stopped talking to anyone about anything.

A year or two after Granny’s disappearance she came to visit and none of the grownups set a word and yet granny was there sitting and looking needy but no one told us what was going on.
    Oh I know what was going on. Now.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    looseleaf, Krok- and OldUncles like this.
  2. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

[Eric Clapton has passed away]

My memory of that song is nothing about lyrics it is just fondness of the tune.
    I may take the time to listen carefully.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  3. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

Yeah, back then adults didn't tell us so much. We all had to figure it out from what we saw and we experienced. I'll cut out what I was gonna say about my childhood, but here is a song that I loved in the '70s by Clapton and co., after Cream. Cream was only around for 2.5 years, IMHO. That was my favorite band in high school. Had a damned denim jacket with their logo painted on the back, stolen by the local bastards when my family moved to a new city many miles away. Still wonder who stole my fucking hand-painted jacket. Bastards! But I do digress a bit, no?

But after Cream, I loved this song: Used to play it on my father's Sony cassette player when I worked on my bicycles.

Krok- likes this.
  4. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Got an audio cassette with a best of Clapton and one with Cream, in the early 90's. We were barely out of the dark age then, it was a wonderful music.

I was never too interested in musicians' lives and, at some point in the 2000's, with the internet and information-you-don't-need becoming hard to avoid, I realised I should be careful to keep away from finding out too much about them, for some can be very disappointing.

Is there such thing as funeral rehearsal? This certainly feels like Clapton's.

hezzey and OldUncles like this.
  5. OldUncles

It wasn't a "farm" in Langley, Virginia, I hope.

looseleaf likes this.
  6. OldUncles

At his age, it's doubtful that Clapton cares much about his legacy. He is very wealthy, his reputation is established. In the late '60s and into the '70s, in the West, for guitar gods, it was Clapton or Hendrix (broadly speaking). And then Clapton has had some emotional trauma from his child's death. His most famous band mates, Jack Bruce and Ginger are dead, so I bet he doesn't give a shit about things theses days.

7. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Oh, I meant this thread sounded like a sort of weighted eulogy.

I think he does give a shit. But, like any other sane human being (be them assholes or not), he thinks he's mostly right.
    He probably gives a lot of shit about his ego and the money he saves in tax havens, like most "successful" businessperson-artists.

Nevertheless, one can still ridicule him as he deserves.

OldUncles likes this.
  8. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

There are 100 or more towns/cities called Langley…….
    (I typed in some fake news. Was an accident. I read something on the Internet and I did not verify it…. Duh; Me)

Eric Clapton did NOT die.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  9. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Elledgedly

10. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

when i was 10 years old, my mother bought me a flight ticket and i made a 3000km trip into the capital of another country alone!

11. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Please tell us more!

12. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

i was a kind of "fast grown" child. born with 5.900g weight. started to read at 3.5 y.o. had advanced in every disciplines until pubertation started at 15-16 y.o and thus attention to girls halved my interest to sciences :)
    so it was not a surprise to my parents - i had very good map orientation skills and strong visual memory - once i visited Riga city (8 y.o) i remembered all path from airport to "Cesu iela" thus i surprised my aunt - she wasnt imaging how such young boy could cross a big country without mam or dad nearby :)

when i was 7-10, i loved english/american speech and songs - my brother listened vinyls with Smokey (mostly) and other bands, and i'd tried to simulate/mimic their voice :)
    at 11, we've started to learn Foreign languages, i've choosed English of course, and i was succeeded in it very well. At 16 y.o i was best (gold prizer) among participants of regional "knowledge olympiade" competition on English lang subject (after 2 years of getting silver medals on Physics before - i just gave a possibility to my classmate to participate and win his prize in Physics too, so i'd choosed English competition).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    OldUncles likes this.
  13. OldUncles

You are most probably correct; I concede the point about Clapton giving a shit about his reputation. Who knows? I certainly do not.

My memories of Clapton are tainted by my life, and these days, in my dotage, these memories are contaminated by sentimentalism. Sentimentalism is like a filter that softens the edges of memories. Like taking a metal file against sharp edges and smoothing them out.

Self-awareness is a rare thing, too. And it's a burden, no? :)

vasco likes this.
  14. OldUncles

You are lucky to learn foreign languages at a young age. In the old USA, a person needed to be 17 or older to learn Russian (military or university). You are also lucky if you understand physics and languages. Of course, you became a programmer, I think :)

mcgru- likes this.
  15. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I do believe that learning another language as a child is so very important !! I wrote child because that is the time of life that a human should be learning another language or even two.

Education education education!

mcgru- likes this.
  16. OldUncles

You're right, Hezzey. And literacy. I do worry that, these days, especially in the "woke" West, literacy is becoming less important. Did you guys see this little story today?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/indiana-football-player-wore-jersey-180529510.html

Now, sure, it can possibly be excused away by whatever. But you'd think the player would have noticed. I can tell you with first-hand experience that many US university athletes are not exactly geniuses. It's funny to see which language classes the athletes take. They need to study a foreign language often, and most go for the Latin languages, Spanish or Italian, etc., because those are easier. They sure as hell aren't keen on Japanese or Chinese, or Slavic languages. Nary a one of 'em is gonna want to study Finnish. Nor English, really ;)

17. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

How did you come to speak Russian, Uncles? I've been curious for some time.

I've studied Russian in school in the early 90's and then one year in high school, then I switched to French. Nobody wanted to study Russian by then.
    Of course, now I'm a bit sorry, but it was such a boring thing in school, and French was more important to me.
    I've restarted studying Russian on duolingo as an adult, but didn't manage to continue, as with lots of other things. The everyday demands were stronger.
    I can still read and remember maybe 200 basic words.

Kids here learn two languages in school, but the school here sucks. Most of the families who can afford, pay for private language classes, it's a lot better than the school ones. I wouldn't rely on school classes, except for a B level on Romance languages. My son learns both English and German in private and French and Italian at home. In school he gets English and French, as we preferred to have German in private.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    OldUncles likes this.
  18. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Fuck, it sounds like showing off, but it's not.
    I wanted to point out that people in non english speaking countries might give more importance to learning other languages.

19. OldUncles

Don't be naiive; I don't speak Russian fluently. But I did study RU in university in the USA. My father was a German who lived in what is now Russia. He died a long time ago. But he did tell me, when he was dying, that I should continue to study Russian at our university. I feel a lot of pain thinking about my father. He was a very good man. Let's leave it at that.

20. OldUncles

Let's talk about math and physical dexterity: