The Most Depressing Video You Will Ever See

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by OldUncles, Nov 29, 2021.

1. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

Deep in the mountains, but only 300 or 400 miles from Washington, DC.

2. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Video unavailable.

3. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

I find filming people we help disgusting.
    Yet this might be of use... for some "1st generation, turbo-Americans" I know.

4. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Those people in the backseat we’re all having a good time!
    Nuff said.

5. OldUncles

I agree with you, and also find videos like this painful to watch. It's one of those ethical dilemmas we face in life, and a good one for an ethics class. Does the "good" done by showing the world the plight of unfortunates outweigh the voyeuristic "entertainment" enjoyed -- a harm -- by those of us who are more fortunate? In this case, I think more good than harm is done. At the very least the family has received a lot of money to raise their standard of living a little (a lot to them, by their standards). And now others are reminded that there are always many less fortunate.

[Edit: I see I referenced money. My Euro girlfriends always faulted me for thinking about monetary worth of a property or object, so that's a difference between natives and turbos.]

Haven't we all had to make moral judgements and been left questioning if those judgements were "correct" for the rest of our lives? Of course. Pro tip: a cultivated short-term memory and alcohol are helpful.

Haha, turbo-Americans ;) Although even today, sir, I was delighted to receive a holiday package of traditional holiday foods from "the old country" (or as close as we can get these days in Europe). After a few beers, and a taste of that magical Ur-cultural food followed by some bitters, I may feel the ancestral urge to march eastward and regain the ancestral homelands! But the turbo-American in me will just drink a beer, surf the internet, and become worried if my Christmas presents to the younger children in my family will arrive before 25 December. Das Leben ist schwer.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  6. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

The man who is driving around which I suppose was the part of a two-man crew because someone was handling the camera…
    I mean that man who is driving that car and doing most of the talking was I think a great guy.
    Imagine the thought and the feeling and the practicality of him and his skills those for in the backseat role as happy as clams they were on their way to a great big grocery store they could buy stuff they could laugh and joke and it looks like they were really comfortable there it was a nice day everything is just fine for them and that brought back so much to me because my mom and Don did dedicated care for perhaps 10 who knows 15 people who went from home to home of course that is the way of life for special-needs people a lot of them don’t have anybody to care for them to advocate for them it’s all about charity and church groups and in my country it was the government doing that the Ministry of somebody .
    Nowadays the ministry of whoever has organized it for people that are really disabled and can’t manage on their own to live in homes with a senior couple and maybe their children maybe their pets anyway they will be at home with qualified people in it and their family..
    I think they’re called group homes but there’s more to it than what teenagers would live in…
    Yeah I guess they’re called group Homes?
    Anyways I have watched with a even critical eye dozens of people in that trade they do everything from palliative care to the house keeping and they do a 95% wonderful job and the other 5% of the people they never crossed my path where I live people that host a group home and run it that’s what it’ll be it’s like a great big rooming house..

My mom has told me her feelings about those people who are so fucked up that they could not manage on their own.
    My mom and Don and I suppose my whole family we all accepted and welcomed those men…anyway they lived downstairs from mom and Don’s big house it was more like a mansion every place that they lived in was like that.
    And the boys that lived with them I think that was a great thing for mom and dawn to do me and my sisters we were all grown up by then and I moved away….

Like what the Beverly hillbillies lived in remember that one?
    And mom and Don used to drive with the boys.
    Mom and Don excepted to care for two boys in the downstairs room and they both went to various schools and institutes and colleges to learn that craft and mom‘s level of training was a registered nurse who specialized in palliative and (I forget).
    And mom and Don and their home wasn’t just host to these men that came to stay there that was their home they were institutionalized people every single one that I ever met had come out of the old style Binz. These usually big complexes with 100 or 500 people living in them and sometimes they were really horrible places…
    I mean a guy who has no control of his bowels and maybe he drools…
    And another guy had a eye smashed in and healed up one of his legs bent.
    That was Marcel called Mark he was quadriplegic and so spastic that he was just kind of wiggly and he was how high IQ.
    Sometimes he would act like a two-year-old trying to get away with shit and then mom would straighten him out with a look or she’d say something behaviour self..
    Mark was 30 something and he knew better than to act like a baby but remember he was institutionalized from the minute that he was born…
    But that was just one of those many boys that came to live downstairs of mom and Don’s place…

I mean those guys that lived downstairs from mom and Don’s were poor as a church mouse they were charity cases. And every single one of them were wards of the court and mom and Don would have daily responsibilities for them 24 seven…

And mom and Don treated them wonderfully.
    Not like patients they were the young men live downstairs..
    What my mom called the boys.
    I don’t remember what Don called them but he loved the guys that would live downstairs just as much as my mom dead.
    And I’ll tell you that that kind of car that is offered to really give all the people is a sign that mankind is not finished that we’re not all ready to go to the euthanasia booth by the forest…
    I mean just go with the flow and have a blast it is easy to get used to people who are bent and have missing parts….
    You know you just hang out with somebody with visible deformities like that and you forget about them in a minute or five.
    It is a big thrill to teach a guy how to play that kind of golf I forget it’s on a tiny course it has a name it’s bunny golf or something like that.
    Or set time being done rigged up a couple of tire tubes and brought Marcel down the slopes.
    He was so spastic and quadriplegic and fucked up he couldn’t even manipulate the tire tubes he wasn’t capable of much of anything except crawling…
    I think you could get a spoon into his mouth so he could have his soup.
    I don’t know how we wiped his butt and I never asked…
    Mark was not totally dependent he tried his damnedest to do the simplest things and the determination that he showed and how proud he was when he accomplished something that was very difficult for him to do like come up to the second floor through those sort of like mansion stairways and find his way to the dining area and get into a seat to have dinner with the rest of us and all man he should’ve been wearing a tuxedo he was so proud…

Me and Don rigged up some tire tubes those big ones and made him a rig that he could come down the ski slopes with and he had never seen anything like that he had never tried anything like that since He was about 30 years old…
    when mom and Don brought him in ….acted like a spoiled rotten four-year-old..
    He used to make a mess he used to puke and shit he used to argue.
    And mom said holy fuck Brad you wouldn’t believe how those people in that horrible hospital treated him he didn’t deserve any of that and she took him off the pills and she gave him a diet and kept him comfortable with enough roughage and soups and salads…
    Don used to drive these guys around in the backseat and there was usually someone got to sit in the front seat to.
    And I went how about 100 times maybe 200 with mom and Don and the boys to this and that park or mall or towns…
    And those guys that mom and Don had as borders acted and enjoyed things as much as those people in that car that was a nice film!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  7. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

The victors write the history books

-nicae- likes this.
  8. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Hi I have a suspicion that this forum has been fidled with so that nothing that I type except in English and to English users as the translating program automatically stops use as soon as I respond to anyone in the other language (Russian it seems).
    I could login under a different username with a different email address and all that bullshit or I could just take the seemingly obvious fuck you in the chin and stop corresponding here.
    I am not sure what happened.
    Should I stop coming here or should I change my username as I am not really sure if I have been told in a backhanded manner to fuck off and get lost….
    This is not about you! I just picked a forum that was in English and I typed on this message to reply!
    Still I do so respect you and if you offered advice yeah I would like that but don’t worry..

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  9. OldUncles

Not sure if anyone has been "fiddling," but I doubt it. What would anyone gain?

But since it's Saturday night, we're old, and I'm kinda beered up, what do say about this video? Good gracious, Jennifer Connelly back in the 1980s... My goodness.

Remember record stores with those shelves full of cassette tapes? And driving around in shitty cars and popping cassettes in and out? (Actually I was on the tail end of the 8-track era.)

Wow, she was so beautiful. And she still is, of course. She's in the recent Apple TV Snow Piercer series and she's still breathtakingly beautiful.

1982? I can't remember; this must be a video from a movie soundtrack? If so, can't remember the movie.

Red Ant and -nicae- like this.
  10. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

There's a certain Ostap Bender...

-nicae- likes this.
  11. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

Career Opportunities.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    OldUncles and -nicae- like this.
  12. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

As a very wise man once quoted:
    "The program isn't debugged until the last user is dead." :alc:

vasco likes this.
  13. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

:shuffle:

-nicae- likes this.
  14. OldUncles

Ha! How true! Once I sent something to the testers/Q&A team to check, and one of the guys there reported a big bug to me. Something like, "if I click on this region of this dialog window, the app crashes." He was clicking on a custom icon that I had added to look cool, I think. My first thought was, why the f**k would anyone left-click there? The OK and cancel buttons were there, and he could have hit enter.

Sure enough, he was correct. Somewhere buried down deep in the lower-level code something would barf when custom icons added to dialogs were clicked. I did what most programmers do -- I replaced the custom icon with the standard one and IIRC, the problem disappeared. Who knows, maybe it was some permissions or image format issue.

But I always remembered that no one can predict what a user will do. And it's true, that's a weakness for programmers, system admins, politicians, diplomats and really anyone. People -- and systems designed by people -- don't always do what we expect/think they'll do. I'm too stupid to have truly learned that lesson, unfortunately.

It's funny, the wonderful Dan Simmons Hyperion series novels explore this. There are many authors who've dealt with AI, but I just happened to be reading it today.

15. OldUncles

And there is also a Schweijk.

16. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Hi I am trying to duplicate what I was seeing and it does not seem to be duplicatable.
    I seldom have ever strayed into the Russian forums and perhaps I was just witnessing a glitch in the translator software
    and there is a bit of ambiguous gobbledygook also ha ha…

17. OldUncles

Hezzey, just look online and find an English version of *The Good Soldier Schweijk.* A very influential post-WW1 novel. Not sure if you are joking sometimes... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Soldier_Švejk

Look for this book online: https://archive.org/details/goodsoldiervejkh0000haek/mode/2up

It's in most good libraries.

vasco likes this.
  18. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I've read it as a kid. It was the era when you hadn't many good books to read, the regime was closed to the outside, there weren't many translations of recent literature, let alone for kids.
    We grew up reading Jules Verne and Karl May, in 1980's, if you can imagine. Fucking hell.
    Somehow I stumbled upon an anthology of international satirical short stories, which also contained some translated Woody Allen and Daniil Harms. Must have read those tens of times.
    I was in the third grade and we had a storytelling class. I told them a story from that book, by a Hungarian, can't recall his name. I knew it by heart. Got so much laughing from my mates, it was heaven. Didn't get to finish it, because the teacher stopped me and banned me to tell any more stories. She couldn't take vulgarity as art, the silly cow.

hezzey likes this.