Refugee crisis

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by -frog-, Mar 11, 2022.

1. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Here Ukrainian was already well present prior to Nazi invasion of Ukraine.
    We had ads in Ukrainian, posters in Ukrainian, and a lot of people speaking Ukrainian in the streets (I'm from eastern Poland, living closer to Kovel than to Warsaw, and closer to Lutsk than Łódź) before.
    Now every broadcaster, every daily has services in Ukrainian too.
    My favourite radio station (a small University-run station, which favours rock music) has news broadcast in Polish (at full hours), and briefs in Ukrainian (every "half").

2. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I see Russian speakers are waiting for refugees at Nord station in Bucharest to provide translation. Volunteers have even made their own color code - orange vest is a translator, green vest is a non Rus/Ukr speaker.
    There's a lady of Russian origin and her daughter that travel 100+ km daily to volunteer at this station.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  3. -Shai-

-Shai- Well-Known Member

First of all, you need to understand that for the most part they are NOT refugees. it's illegal immigrants, from ukrainian areas where no actions.
    Hence the "features of behavior" described by different sources.

4. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

First of all, you need to understand that it's not Putin and the crew that decides who is an illegal immigrant into another country and who's not.
    The fact that your beloved leader doesn't want you to see those people as refugees, is related to the absolute lack of any sentiment of responsibility of that monster.

5. Archer

Archer Administrator Staff Member

As Shai said most of them are from West Ukraine, hundreds of kilometers from the nearest battle place.
    Unfortunately, people from Mariupol, Kharkov, Kiev are not allowed to leave, they are blocked by UA militaries.

I'm following what Czech people talk about UA refugees, and after some days they are not so happy as at the beginning.
    The time will show the truth, let's talk about them after 1-2 months. At least their culture is closer to European than people from the Middle East have...

Just try to remember what you know about Ukrainians in your country from 90s. That will repeat.

6. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Surely not most of them are from the western Ukraine. In fact many of those in battle areas havent left because they were afraid of letting their homes unguarded,
    And even if people in the western Ukraine left, it's still because of fear. Only a mind incapable of empathy can dismiss the fact that people are afraid while their country is invaded, even if the actual fighting isn't near them.

Then Ukrainian army blocking refugees, it's not true our world. I see news with trains of people from Kiev leaving all the time. While Mariupol is under siege and the attempt to evacuate, during an accord with Putin, has resulted in a family being bombed during the evacuation. They have indeed started to impede the fighting capable men to leave, it seems. A normal thing when one's country is attacked.

Archer, there are nationalists and people of limited morality everywhere in the world. It's normal to have such reactions too. Look, reading this forum I might think that all Russians support this invasion and are a bunch of asses. But it's not true. It's the same with the Czechs you're reading.
    About a lower empathy towards middle easterners, unfortunately it's true. But I think there's an immense gain in social capital in many countries now, dealing with this humanitarian crisis, that will be use in others too. Many people got together to help, this kind of relationship doesn't get lost.
    I have no idea what you mean. But all the societies are evolving. Yours too. And the nationalism in Eastern Europe will start to fade one day too.

7. Archer

Exactly. News. You see what "they" want you to see.
    Don't trust mass media. They have zero responsibility for what they saying. The only thing they care about is the count of viewers, subscribers, sold ads. More comments under text - more views, more emotions.
    BTW, at the beginning Czech media shouts "Russians shoot...", "Russians did...". But now they say "By information from Ukrainian militaries Russians did...".

Criminals, "Ukrainian mafia", racket.

Sure. But try to think as ukrainian:
    - for several years they heard about "you are now in Europe, Western culture", "fight for your rights"
    - for several years USA and EU supports their "russian is enemy" kind of politics
    - several years USA and EU pushed them into conflict
    - and when the conflict began - USA and EU dropped them

So, now Ukrainians rightly considers that EU owes them. And they will ask for it. Enjoy...

8. jfm

jfm Well-Known Member

there must be some kinda explanation for russian invasion...

9. jfm

jfm Well-Known Member

Instead of running, they should start collecting flowers to throw at liberators

10. Archer

Cui bono? Cui prodest?
    Who is beneficiary of that conflict? Ukraine? Russia? Come on..

11. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

12. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Archer, come on, can't blame all the Ukrainians for a few rackets. There are criminals everywhere, wtf. Think modern, think contemporary.

And about news, man, that's a very simplistic view, really.
    Today's media is also about humanism, not only truth and lies. You're getting all wrong.

13. jfm

jfm Well-Known Member

14. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

15. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Well, who invaded whom?

16. Archer

I'm not blaming Ukrainians. Just inform you what will happen, because it always happens in that kind of situation.

The simpler - the better it works. Human is a very simple and primitive creature... And professionals know how to work with it.

17. Archer

Actually, yes. It's about selecting between war and dishonor.
    If you will get dishonor - you will get war and you lost your country, your people, and, of course, money.
    Actually, Russia already tried this way, in the middle of '90s. We have lost almost everything...

I have no idea what documents Putin got on his table, and what conditions were asked of him by USA/NATO/EU/whoever...
    But we got what we got.

-Shai-, rgreat, Flk and 1 other person like this.
  18. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Fuck, I'd like to write to you about this. Would result in a long compassionate post, maybe a bit pedantic.
    But I don't have enough time now.

Long story short: we've been through that. It's all an illusion. There's life after that, there will always be.
    Russia won't disappear, but its history books will have a special chapter on it and pretty much unmask everything you now think as absolute truth, value or necessity.

There you go: a short, not compassionate, but still pedantic post.

looseleaf likes this.
  19. Archer

It's ok :) Anyway, my English is not good enough for long discussions.

20. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

1.75M today.
    My daughter started, on her own, learning simple phrases in Ukrainian.
    There will be more.

Some of you, my Russian friends, even negate the very fact that these are refugees, calling them "illegal immigrants".
    Dear dickheads!
    Not a single person is "illegal". There's no such thing as an "illegal person".
    I'm a translator, and I've translated several Ukrainian birth certificates (from their translations to Polish) over the past few days.
    Yes, there were folks from Rivne too, but most of those, were from Kiev, Kharkiv or even Donetsk.
    Kinda contradicts what you're trying to "sell" us.

looseleaf likes this.