Russia-Georgia-Ottesia News Explanations PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by looseleaf, Aug 11, 2008.

1. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

because Russia was consistent?

2. Relict

Relict Well-Known Member

3. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

I'll say "I know" ;)

4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

idiotic picture.
    also, karlsen is a scandinavian personage.

5. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

pls ban relict for unsubstantiated imagery.

6. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

ha-ha, this one can make an anecdote! :D

0:31 The russian armies entered Poti (the Georgian sea port)
    Georgian prime-minister Vladimir Gurgenidze informed about this on the Georgian TV. By his words, there were no dead during the capture of the city.

0:51 MoD of Russian Federation refuted the information about the invasion of russian army in Poti
    By the words of the Ministry speaker "an army reconnaissance squad entered the city for a short time and it has already left it".

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  7. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's really intelligent right there. :rolleyes:

8. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

dunno what would he say, but id say
    :D

9. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

10. hardy

hardy Well-Known Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7555858.stm

Russia 'ends Georgia operation'

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has ordered an end to military operations against Georgia, the Kremlin says.

He told officials he had taken the decision to end the operation after restoring security for civilians and peacekeepers in South Ossetia.

However, Russia has been highly critical of Georgia's leadership, and there were no signs of imminent talks.

Before the announcement, there were fresh reports of Russian warplanes bombing the Georgian town of Gori.

Witnesses told the BBC that several people were killed when a bomb hit a hospital in the town, which is 10 miles (15km) from the South Ossetian capital, Tskhinvali.

A reporter for Reuters news agency said several bombs exploded in front of his vehicle, while a photographer for the agency spoke of seeing dead and injured people lying in the streets.
    News of Mr Medvedev's decision emerged as French President Nicolas Sarkozy arrived in Moscow expecting to press Russia on the need for a ceasefire.

According to a statement, Mr Medvedev told his defence minister and chief of staff that "the goal has been attained".
    "I've decided to finish the operation to force the Georgian authorities to peace. The safety of our peacekeeping forces and civilian population has been restored.
    "The aggressor has been punished, having sustained considerable losses. Its armed forces have been disorganised," he added.

The BBC's James Rodgers, in Moscow, said there is no sign yet that Russia is willing to engage in talks with the government in Tbilisi.

Russia's Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, has insisted that Georgia must sign a legally binding document on the non-use of force.

And Mr Medvedev warned that Russia would not tolerate any further Georgian military activity in South Ossetia, saying: "Should centres of resistance or other aggressive attempts arise, you must take the decision to destroy them."

The BBC's Gabriel Gatehouse, near Gori, reported seeing sporadic artillery fire around the town right up until shortly before the Russian announcement.

Our correspondent said there was no sign of Russian troops south of Gori, but said there were a number of Georgian military vehicles abandoned or burnt on the road outside the town.

11. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

So basically Russia occupied South-Ossetia?

And told Georgia to fuck off if they try to get their land area back?

<S> to nwo...

12. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Not only that, but the photo at the lower right is NOT A. Hilter.

13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

yup. declared to stop genocide from georgians, russia stopped advance after kicking georgian troops. smart political movement. i did afraid that russia will sink in long lasting "hot-spot", whoever is right or wrong there.
    putin/medvedev said that the matter of sovereignty of ossetia is not question of near future, and could be discussed only after complete finish of this conflict.

14. hardy

hardy Well-Known Member

how the peacekeepers can occupy any land their stand on?

South Ossetia is not "their" (Georgian) land.

15. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

Sry Hardy, this sounds for me like Sudets in Czechoslovakia in 1938. ....

16. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Well, we might not share the same view in what is "a peacekeeper"...

The fact is that from the legal point of view Russia, like all the other UN countries consider it as Georgian soil.

17. Red Ant

@airfax: Why is the "sovereignty" of a nation more important than a people's right to choose by whom they want to be governed (or at least by whom they do NOT want to be governed)? How sovereign can a nation really be that deprives a considerable part of its population of that right?

@exec and others: I find it disgusting how thoughtlessly the word "genocide" is tossed around these days. The loss of civilian lives in combat operations is tragical but it does NOT equate to genocide, and I really doubt the Georgians were purposely slaughtering civilians.

18. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

i did not stated that from my POV it is genocide. i quoted russian POV.
    fact of genocide is subject to further investigation (including mlrs attack to supposedly peaceful town), or at least mass media and info-war.
    georgian ones show their tears, but russians for some reason do not demonstrate what have been done yet in ossetia. probably too busy fighting and will offer video/photo proofs later? dunno.

my point of view is that saakashvilli deeply mistaken pre-conflict situation, failed to gain needed success in this "restoring constitutional order"(discussed) operation in 24 hours, allowing russians to dramatically change things to georgia.

19. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Why do we have national borders? Usually people has a right to f.e. move out of the country that they do not want to live in. Or to be governed.

I do understand civil wars. That's what happens when people do not want to be governed by the , well, goverment.

20. Red Ant

South Ossetia, as far as I understand it, is a coherent stretch of territory that is homogenously populated by a group of people that do not wish to be ruled by Georgia. Why should they leave the country? They are the country!

Georgia should just have accepted the result of that popular referendum and let them go. No one likes to give up chunks of his territory, but if its inhabitants vote so unanymously in favor of secession, nobody has the right to hold them back.