My 1999 Silverado truck walk around

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -ALW-, Dec 8, 2008.

1. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

One would understand he's complimenting your truck's rear.
    After deeper analysis, you will see he actually quotes you and not your truck... So don't drop the soap!

2. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

erm, am I the only one seeing that square piping outlet down there? :shuffle:

3. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I guess my mind is not in the gutter. Poke your thingy in the receiver hitch hole if you want and get your thrill. %)

4. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Leave the nice rear end of that truck, settin in that lot, sitting there, showing off that big white ass, the big white ass just gleaming.
    Let the truck there for a minute or a few. See.
    Som ex con or a soon to be con, that guy, he gonna look at that truck and, well, he gonna look around. To see if you are there. He will notice no one is garding your big white truck ass and that soon-to-be-convict, he might just take your truck's ass....

Don't drop the soap isn't prison virnacular anymore, not since we were first deproted from all over europe sittin in those ships.
    See?

No, I suppose not.

5. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Talking about the rear end of a car:

Well Sir,

Back many years ago there was this phenomenon of getting any old American made sedan and mounting the smallest wheels and tires that could fit. Then the next thing to do was spend a year's wages (or a few drug deals' profit) into installing batteries, relays hydraulic pumps and lines and cylinders instead of shocks and springs as to make the car jump , lean, lift-off the ground or lay flat on the asphalt.

A certain friend of a friend had taken his grandpa's Lincoln Mark-something, A HUGE two door coupe behemoth of near 6,000lbs and 7.4+ liter V8 and installed the small 13" wire wheels and as this was a front engine, rear wheel drive car whose front suspension was already quite marginal a hydraulic lift system was installed onto the rear suspension.
    To this vehicle as "business" was good came a custom paint job and special holders in the truck for Mac10s (real trash-I guess he couldn't get Uzis at the time).

So he is cruisin' around guns and gang plaque and big man around the 'hood.

We didn't understand how a white-bread white boy could do so much to try to mix with the Hispanics and Blacks who were the only ones at the time with this particular "taste" in vehicle.

Well the day came that this white boy wanted to show-off the labors of his discretionary income.

Who to show it off to than "The Old Man".

"The Old Man" was the neighborhood diplomat and sage.

Always with a kind but never too generous word. Always would tell you the truth. He was almost too polite, keeping that certain distance socially with the "younger" generations. We had heard that he had some rather unpleasant "experiences" in the Pacific that he was one of 12, some said 36 survivors of some terrible event that we were never able to find-out exactly but it did entail some gruesome hand to hand combat under a moonless night sky.
    White bread had just had his car detailed and batteries charged when The Old Man just happened to be walking by.
    How do you like my ride, Mr Old Man, Sir?
    Why is your car so low to the ground, son?

It's 'slammed' AND I got it lifted in the rear, see. Here I'll show you.

and White Bread goes to the driver's side reaches throught the open window to the control box and in a few rapid clicks and whurring of electric pump motors the rear of the car leaps upwards two feet or more.

You drive around like that, do you?

By this time a crowd had gathered around. The posse and crew had gathered around, the local younger children had gotten off their bicycles to see the jumping car.
    The Old Man was about to make his pronouncements.

Why do you do that? Drive around 'lifted in the rear"?

It gets attention. It gets the chicks. It's cool. Huh?

They anxiously await "the words". Could it be The Old Man approves of the hip new thing? Is The Old Man "cool".

Young man, if you want to cruising around and get the attention of the chicks, you should drive around "lifted in the front". Only homosexuals drive around "lifted in the rear."

For an instant. For an infinity the silence hung like noon in the high desert where all you hear and feel are your temples pounding against your skull.

The cascade started, a little snicker, an uncontrollable giggle, it avalanched into a collective roar of laughter and oohs and awwws.

Straight faced The Old Man, shook his head left and right and ever so sliughtly and we were all damned if we didn't see for the first time and no one remembers if there ever was another time , a slight upward curve of The Old Man's lips. The Old Man turned 90 degrees and continued his walk. The crowd was still roaring and remarking to White Bread and WB was smiling back and shaking his head, his faced flushed red with almost embarrassment.

It is said: The tongue is mightier than the sword.

The Old Man had reaped a-plenty with his mighty K-Bar so many years ago. His tongue was just as mighty if not greater. In less than one minute he had devastated months of WB's achievements.

Ah, The Old Man. He was a classic.

I got to get me a drink now.

To The Old Man.

:cheers:

6. rudeboy

Salute!

7. spaceb

spaceb Well-Known Member

Cool truck although it's huge and doesn't look so good in white.

8. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Thanks! Yeah, white isn't my favorite but, the price was right! I would have preferred red or green.

9. rudeboy

You gotta get that thing fixed

[​IMG]

10. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

11. looseleaf

Yeah, what's with that, ALW?

High beams are inside and low outside, right?

Are these headlights four individual units?

The older series 89-93 come in single unit high/low.

I'm not sure if they can be mounted backwards/upside down either.

BTW: a nice addition and safetly if you're going to be doing long distance night driving is the little conversion wire set, sold by Painless or you see them on eBay for a lot cheaper; an over-riding relay that keeps the low beams on when you switch-over to high beams.
    Maybe that's standard in the newer trucks but I know the older models shut-off the low beams when one switches to highs.

I went from twin "commercial" truck lights to quads when I changed grille so I went the whole Painless route.
    I went to the clearance section online at Summit Racing and scored the wire Painless wire conversion kit AND a set of the Blue Goodyear silicon hoses for 40% OFF!!!!

It pays to check out the clearance items once in a while.

12. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

photoshop?

That isn't illegal in US? I mean the trick with lights?

13. looseleaf

No, it's not illegal. The first thing is to purchase DOT approved headlight housings.

BTW: that circle of light there is something that BMW had and the Chinese copied and made versions for US cars. Some people call them "angel eyes". That's not what you were asking about, no? I would think most Europeans would have seen those types of headlights by now.

There is a maximum wattage per bulb, yes, but as long as the wattage does not exceed the legal limit and the lights are aimed correctly the set-up is legal.

Now I have ran around the country with blatantly illegal headlights, on my motorcycle and my cars.
    The lights were always aimed correctly as not to blind any oncoming traffic and I have never been cited for headlight violations. Lots of other things, but never headlights...ha ha ha.

If memory serves the Federal limit is 65 watts high beam and 55 watts low beam.

I've run 120 watts high and 90 low in my motorcycle.

In rally cars and my street hot rods, I've had anywhere from four 100watt to 8 100 watt bulbs.

The real problem is the wiring and the load on the alternator. 800watts is a little over one horsepower for just the headlights! Some states mandate that all those extra lights be covered when traveling on public roads.

One of the aspects of living in the USA that not all europeans can grok is the freeway system and the constitutional protections enjoyed. For instance:

A buddy and I decided to go for a drive many years ago on a four day weekend combining business and pleasure.

We got into our vehicle and drove from California to Louisiana. About 2,200 miles just about the distance from Paris to Moscow. On the freeway, FREE way, no tolls. No check points, no cops asking questions, no road inspections, no "show me your papers please", no "what is the nature of your trip", nothing.
    Of course you had to keep a lookout for the speed traps and the radar traps, but the CB radio and the friendly truck drivers let us know in advance.
    For all its short comings, living in the USA does have some advantages still.;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  14. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Check post #43.

Yes, I know "angel eyes". And those chinese are even selling those to bmw owners. For older models anyway...

btw, it's not just US quality to drive around freely. I can too drive for 2200 miles in F-land without showing papers to anyone. :D

(Oki, it'll be really boring driving in one big circle, but hey, it's a smaller country too... )

But try to drive from Canada to Argentina without showing papers or telling the purpose of your travel....

:D

15. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

haha spot-on TP! :D

16. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Yes, high beams are on the inside, low on the outside. That's how the original stock units functioned. Low beams will turn off when high beams are on. Pretty much all vehicles here operate that way now. I do like the idea of having low beams on with high beams as well. Would probably illuminate the road better. Yeah, I've not been on summit in a while. I'll have to check that bypass relay or make one up myself. :rtfm:

17. looseleaf

HAHAHA!

ol' rudeb. got me! I should have looked at the original pics again!

Yeah, Canada to Argentina. You'd be stopped right at the border leaving Vancouver!

Heck, even WITHIN Argentina whenever you cross a state line there are state checks and Federal police checks.
    Plus the cops can stop you anytime they want and ask all the questions again.

Drive in a 2,200 mile circle in Suomi ? Actually that sounds like FUN!

Did you ever see that movie :"Ariel" ?

Check it out some time!

18. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. rudeboy

Driver's papers are cart blanche.
    cart. Hahaha. That's funny

People who never commit crime. People who are not criminals, who are not know by local gendarmerie, who are good nieghbours, good citizens, quiet, law abading....
    People who would have nothing to do with cops and cops' world, still have their presences stankon by cops. Why is that?
    Know something? I am 50. I never have drivin [legally or very much]. I don't operate an automobile. Guess what? I can coun't the amount of times I have had anything to do with police ON ONE HAND.
    Yep.

Bye

20. looseleaf

Yeah, it is pretty simple, I remember looking at the kit and saying: TWENTY bucks for this s**t?? Good thing I paid less than half at clearance!

Going over the circuit from my bad memory:

It's one of those one inch cube 30 amp Bosch type relays.

Run the energizing wire from the high beam to close the circuit of the low beams. making sure you got really good ground and a fused power source.

Since I had all new H.D. wiring and H.D. relays, all I did was tap into the high beam positive to activate the low beam relay.

For ten bucks it was worth getting a wire harness with a socket and the relay and a "schematic for dummies" that I followed very closely.
    :D

I do have to say despite all those "Texas vs California" jokes that my first trip to Texas, I was very impressed.
    A very friendly group of people and most of trying to be helpful. Crossing Texas, border to border and back within 48 hours was a chore and one didn't stay too long in any one spot to get to know anyone too well, but it was fun.