I am making a Linux distro

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by rudeboy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm not following ... (?)

2. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

well there is no reference to any kind of operating system in that piece of code

3. Red Ant

Well, the path name "A:\" looks Window'ish. Entering "debug /?" on the Windows shell reveals that this is indeed a Windows command (note, I didn't say it's exclusively a Windows command). :)

4. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

ekhm, MS-DOS anyone?

I wonder what would "debug /?" return in pre-windows times :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  5. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

it is WINDOWS !
    just fire up dos console and use that code to force FDISK.
    I use it for instance to partition "fdisk" a hard dirve that I was using for linux distros testing. Linux will do it's own partitioning on yer HD and if you uninstall it and if you want to put it back any WIN OS and if it won't work just pop in bootable disk boot to dos, type in those commands ( if you have only one HD to fdisk partition use "80 for hd 0". And at the end do not forget to format yer HD otherwise won't work.
    Yes billes it is for zeroing - partitioning fdisking...

6. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

if it is a bit confusing after -A CS:100 <enter> you are actually geting prompts that look like this:
    xxxx:0100
    xxxx:0103
    xxxx:0106
    xxxx:0109

etc

you just type in what ever I posted up there after each prompt.

7. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

to paraphrase my self again don't forget to C:>format /s

8. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

People who fart around inside of VMs aren't farting around with Machines, they are farting around with Virtual Machines. And may the twain never meet.

:deal:

9. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

show me the one that never fart, or whoos fart smell like roses.

10. rudeboy

Okay. I will translate better, the idiom contained above so that it has no idiom therein.

Don't do it in a virtual box thinking it might be okay. Because it might not be okay.

11. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

neo take a blue pill

12. rudeboy

I stuck two networked boxes into a room with two 20 year old boys.
    Yeah, 20. They are boys to me, one of them being my son and the other this punk he has always known........
    The two machines I hooked up and let those boys fart around with for the day, were a Debian Lenny LOADED with bells and whistles and a slackware 12.2 but I couldn't get the joystick working in the Slacker [I will another day - these are fresh installs and these things take time to get all tweaked up - sigh].
    Anyway, they both had symetrical gaming software.
    Saurbrauten et al Freeciv Wesnoth Openflight[too bad about the joystick] and a couple others but I am away from there and can't remember the names...
    One of the boys was downright laughing. The other one is way intimidated by me and doesn't give me lip [or he gets taken out of my will:p].
    The one boy, the laughing one, I showed him Compiz Fusion loaded up and configured. And some Enlightenment Window Manager stuff and he said, woa......
    And then I showed the boys they have to use all three mouse buttons, the scroll wheel and that the desktop is alive, look at some of this stuff.
    Then I walked out.
    I went to MacDonalds to spend some quality time building up my colesteral and then went to the pub to work on my blood pressure.
    When I got back, those boys hadn't moved from the two computers.
    LINUX DOESN'T DO GAMES DAD
    I have installed Linuxes with bells and whistles in a few [three, actually] machines now. To adult people, of my generation, who don't care about arcade games. They like it.
    Dreamlinux, Vanilla Debian and Puppy Linux are big sellers.
    My fee is beer and tokes and love.
    I am curing my brain damage.
    My heart won't get better.

13. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

WTG Rude..... :super:

Stay away from that McDonald's shit though....:znaika:

14. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

I wonder what would happen if one takes both pills?

15. Red Ant

Hmmm, I know it's not good for you, but yummy. All hail junk food! :@prayer:

16. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

what he said :znaika:

17. rudeboy

I have an old P2. Has nvidea gforce and some 16 bit soundblaster thingie and 75 mHz that I promptly overclocked to 125 [I don't know if it will be stable] and I am installing SLITAZ, Simple Light Incredible Temporary Autonomous Zone. It is a complete OS and gui, modern and stable and up to date. It will run with no use of swap with 30 mB of ram. It runs wonderfully on 50, will do everything it is asked to do even if it is loaded with everything I can stick in it that exists in the slitaz repositories. I have ran a ton of apps on another one and all it did was slow down a bit. Kept on working, I couldn't make it stop. I didn't want to make it stop. I was trying to see if the thing would multitask like crasy and it does. ANd I did get it to swap after sticking something like ten Abiwords and a couple Gimps and wolfenstien was that last stray, I got tired of waiting for the video to refresh, hehehehe.
    I like it that an old hardware is still suported. No, not MS, I didn't say MS. Linux world supports our hardware as long as linux hackers wish to, this is not about money. If it were about money, then Linux wouldn't survive. The bottom line means nothing to people who work for fun.

So, tell me, can you find up to date apps for a Windows 98 system? No.
    Can you find apps for Slackware 95?
    Yep. Supported and kept up-to-date?
    Yep.
    Will you get the lates linuxes to run on a p1? Probably not. A p2? Well, I am fiddling right now with that. The problems I am having are much to do with floppy disks. Floppy disks aren't happy inside of the magnetic field that wraps out planet and wrecks floppy disks. I think I can get the cd to boot though. Tomorrow.

Hey, the guy who wants to use win 98 for games?
    win9Bse keyword
    qdqq4
    I would suggest getting a p2 though, I am not sure if win98 works on hardware younger than that, I am not sure.
    Next? I am looking around for a working hardware, not broken hardware, called 386dx [not sx I want 32 bit bus]
    I have monitor and mouse and such for one. and I can maybe get usb to work if I use a lovely little ps/2 to usb dongle I have.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  18. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Biles, there's shitload of arcade games those "kids" can play on Linux. Try MAME (multiple arcade machine emulator) Get some Roms and fire up something like..umm Metal Slug.
    I'm sure they will have fun. Some of that arcade machine stuff never gets old.

Mainstream games that run natively on linux are few, but there are handful recent ones like World of Goo that have made an exception to this rule.

One thing runs on linux for sure...Targetware. Are you braindead enough to come and fly at Target Rabaul some day?

I just read about your accident... injuries to the brain can do some pretty incredible stuff. Ever read books written by Antonio Damasio? Damage to the frontal lobe can change ones personality around and upside down, but you seem to be the same guy you always were. (Here in finland people don't care much about crowds, waving hands or italians either. So that's just about normal)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  19. rudeboy

Targetware linux is broken

20. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

To be honest the only game that I really was satisfied with on Linux was Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Damn awesome game but (spoiler)it's pretty damn easy - yet still fun - once you realise airplanes are the real way to make money. I tried SimCity 3000... something was wrong with that, I tried countless games in WINE... never liked those either. So I'm stuck with Transport Tycoon everytime I boot to linux. Which I don't do very often, mind you. But still, I don't really need much more than that.

What I love about linux though is how you can really work with your environment, configurations are so much more powerful. In Windows you're always working against the system to some degree.

I'm still looking for some extra linux native games that I can add though... not have had much luck so far... because most linux coders seem to think fun comes in the size of green pixelated monsters and crappy text-RPG's. Suum quique... but I don't like 'm. And I'm not going to be downloading Unreal or so for linux either. Guess I'm stuck... maybe it's better that way. Linux for business, Windows for ProEngineer and games.

-Z