Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Funtom, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

I will personally show you in the arenas the bullshit stick stirr behavior and what it does at some point this weekend using the "chetez" login.

2. boa

boa Well-Known Member

Warp Rolling, as many people call it, is just simply part of the game. The higher roll rate aircraft are simply more likely to induce it. What happens is when the nme changes their attitude quickly between position updates (a game-related phenomenon) and pulls Gs in the new attitude, they will be seen to flick to their new attitude on your FE, and micro-warp to their new position. iMOL has "smoothing code" to help alleviate this, but it often can't eliminate it.

Server load and frame rate also come into play. Last night I was trying to get a shot at a SpitIX (not one of the world class roll-rate aircraft) who was doing nothing more than jinking left to right. On my FE it appeared he would flip nearly upside down to the right, then flip nearly upside down to the left and micro warp to his new position. I was in an area with lots of aircraft, and over 200 people on (50+ per country). It wasn't his "fault"; he was using defensive moves to be harder to hit.

The only way for you to avoid Warp Rolling is to fly straight and level, or to pull steady Gs in a single direction. Instead of being called a "warp roller", you'll be thought of as a complete imbecile for not knowing how to use proper defensive moves. Such is life in the arena! Ignore the people who taunt you, or talk to them civilly explaining what you were doing. Most of the time these people are just frustrated they couldn't get a quick kill, or lost a chance, or got killed themselves while being fixated for too long.

"Snake" Royal Knights ~RK

From - Sun Sep 13 20:04:07 1998

Newsgroups: warbirds.training

Also if you throw your stick around violently either through inexperience or in order to defend you will induce warps.

Youll find that if you saddle up on more experienced or better players they dont often induce warps by erratic stick movements.

Yes, try to use a8r2, 2x30mm really help to catch planes wherever and whenever they are:UU:

3. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Knights are dickheads. Don't listen to them.

Yes, that's because Snake flew/flies? on Aces High. They have a stick shaker script that reduces control input if you move your controls too rapidly. This eliminates idiocy to some extent, as well as forces players to learn how to fly.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

Stick stirring is just the tip of the iceberg concerning warp on demand.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  5. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'd still like to see what this "stick stirring" "warp rolling" "jinking" non-sense looks like. I may have seen or experienced it, or done it myself but, in any event, I usually let the enemy con quit moving around while they slow down and then shoot at them. As for difficulty in getting shots on someone, I've always had quite a time with pilots like bullet, pirado, helrza, zeke, jochen, ledada, fuska, mikado, casper, etc who have some impossible leads to follow.

6. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

A proper warp roll done in a 190 or la5 will just pull away while looking like it is flipping like a pancake.

If he pulls off a hard turn during this, you might witness his plane looking like it is flying sideways or almost backwards......right before the hand of god yanks him out of your gunsight and quite possibly puts him halfway through a turn onto your six.

This happens in extreme instances.

It's not really something that the admins can control so it must be policed by the players.

7. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a connection fluke issue than an intentional newbie misuse. You'll have to show me what it looks like.

8. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

It's both actually. The roll rates on La and Fw are ridiculous, and the server doesn't quite know how to handle/interpolate the player's action within a certain processing cycle, so you see the plane flipping about like a trout then warping across your screen. The I-153 used to do this because of it's turn rate that has since been modified somewhat. So, basically what happens to fix this is the FM of a lot of planes has to be adjusted so that planes don't warp, which means neutering all planes equally.

This is done here and there, then people complain and send in complaints about how this plane doesn't do that and whatnot. I think this occurs because one plane at a time is adjusted to fit within limitations, so we get things like a6m turning faster than ki43, Lavochkin being a super plane, etc.
    Development seems to have gone in so many different directions now because of warp issues and performance issues that I can't make heads or tails out of it anymore.

Let's just keep it simple and do it this way. Figure out what the maximum settings are for roll rate, turn rate, whatever that doesn't cause the server to go WTF? and then set that as maximum allowable performance and devise a subsequent reduction in performance accordingly for all aircraft.

For example, let's assume for a moment that the Fw-190 has the fastest roll rate in all of FH. So we then figure out what the fastest roll rate the serve can handle is and set the 190 to roll at that rate. Next, we divide the actual, real world roll rate of plane X by the real world roll rate of the 190 to get a percentage of maximum roll rate for the server to apply as the roll rate of plane X. (e.g. 126 deg/s for plane X/162 deg/s for 190 = .78 * maximum allowable roll rate for server).

I think this method was tried at one point, and would explain a lot of why so many planes were messed up. It was either that or blatant abuse by admins. Let's just say the performance was adjusted to fit within server limitations so I can keep my sanity.

9. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Well, I hope they don't keep making shotgun changes. That's just irresponsible and lazy. Each aircraft should perform as designed per documented data. The fact that the aircraft perform as they do should represent accurate modeling, not whiner complaining inexperienced low skilled cowards modeling. Just because a Yak rolls like like crazy and "creates warps" does not mean you change all aircraft's performance. That is dumb, simply put. %) It is what it is. Like I keep saying over and over, if somebody has a problem with an aircraft performing abnormally, SAY SOMETHING, and do it in the FORUM. :director: Just gotta keep it reasonably accurate and yet FUN. :zachot:

10. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

That would still be reasonably accurate and allow for hardware/software limitations because the rates will be at a level that the server can process and the aircraft would still perform against each other as they should. :rolleyes:

The only reason to completely veto this idea is if the limitations require the performance of models be reduced to something absolutely ridiculous (e.g. FW rolling like a 747). However, I still feel it is necessary to address warp rolling. It seems as though a larger number of pilots use this as their primary and only means of defensive maneuver anymore, which does not lend itself to development of player skill. That's why I liked the control locks in Aces High. It forced players to gain skill and subsequently made the average player better at flying (even if Spitfire is the only thing they will ever fly for $20/mo).

The other option is to increase the packet flow rate, and this largely depends on the hardware/bandwidth, which are probably operating at optimal capacity, if not more.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  11. boa

boa Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, have to go back to "gunpod" planes modelling.

I am not sure what is better to do , to change plane by parameters or by adding weight , but im sure about one thing. That way of developing fh like"First change then think " (without intention to insult anyone) is exactly what caused so many problems . That is the reason why we now reverse planes like ki84 to be what it was 10 years ago .
    Im saying this because im sure reds dont like when they see plane with gunpods (guns added) which looks exactly the same as light version of the same plane. Identification of 109 g14 with 3x30 mm is impossible, as far as red is concerned it could be g6, g14, light g14, or 3x30 one.
    In old wb , g6r6 and g14r6 had green band around fuselage, as well as clearly visible gunpods. I have said same thing when someone changed mig 5 guns to be "green" mig . Even worse, 109s now have visible bomb instead of gondolas, so reds will be confused even more.
    Not to mention how nice looking old planes were comparing to these "mutant models"..
    So, I really dont understand what logic developers use, im not even sure if I should continue noticing problems on fh , more and more I start to think someone should explain to players why something is so different and bad now , instead of asking players to contribute.
    This was one of the best if not best sim when it comes to visual identification of planes, why do we have to fuck it up?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  12. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

i made it, because red mig is a very stupid idea
    http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/howred.html

questions?
    ask clear questions. not wordy discourses about evil communistic admins.

because previous developers have no such fm knowledge as fas does

i trust fas can make a fh airplane to exactly correspond to nii vvs and spitfireperformance.

gil stepped ahead to be fm maker as well, but he went to some pause :confused:

13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

as for gunpods: which slots you recommend to sacrifice for c.200, ki-67-ib and su-2?

14. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

Reds don't like a lot of things, but look- do we know if that Yak9 is with 37mm gunpod or long-range type or normal Yak9 with 20mm? Same for P39. Same for Yak1 (111 PVO or not?), La5 (light?). Or Mossie- is it buff-Mossie or fighter-Mossie? Etc, etc...

So why the fuck they need to know if that gunpods are 20mm or 30mm? If that 109 is 3x30 or 1x20? If the A8 is light or r8?

Both sides are ok in this. 2nd thing is that i think (just feeling) that 109g14 3x30 turns too good, it climbs bad, it's ok, but turns are imo too good for this kind of guns. But again- try to fly a Tempest now, it's new ufo in MA... And the most funny thing is that it's opponent is still only a6 and g6. Rly funny flying for the gold side in these times :cool:

[irony]
    When i am thinking about that, german soldiers was rly uber-ppl irl, because they fought against superiority in numbers and in shitty planes for a long years. Rly hats off for them...
    [/irony]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  15. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Boom! And just like that, I brought back a 14 year old thread LOL. What fun it is to read this stuff again. :fly2:

mcgru- likes this.