spit1 vs 110

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Mcloud, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

If anyone has ever been away from freehost for 6 months or a year you will know that when you come back you will be rusty. Well since I have been back playing here, I have been flying mostly li2's and buffs. my jabo skills firing rockets dropping bombs are weak and my fighter skills are even worse.

Never the less. I had an interesting experience while flying a spit1 vs 110. I saw this 110 flying over f18 at about 10,000 ft and I was at around 13,000ft. I had 75% gas, 100% ammo and no damage.

So I just rolled over and dove on him, building up speed and gaining on him. He was chasing after some other red plane and then he got the feeling that I was chasing him so he dove and ran, he did a few turns and stuff, basically trying to get rid of me.

Then he really dove and went down to the deck. He went up to about 400 mph and made a little right turn, to change direction from NE to E. I had my spit going up to about 400 mph too and MY PLANE WAS SUCKING TO THE LEFT LIKE A 2 DOLLAR WHORE WITH A GUN TO HER HEAD. My plane was like, in a full 160 degree left bank turn. Like a black hole, sucking my plane to the left. Turning automatically to the left. Even though I had full right rudder and full right stick, trying to turn to the right was impossible. I had to cut the engine, OFF. after about 10 seconds, I was able to pull up somewhat and slow down a little and very slowly get the plane to actually change direction against its will. Now this 110 was at d13.

Yep. All you gold pilots want to know a secret? the next time you have a spit behind you, just dive, build up some speed in the 380-400 mph range and turn to the right about 15 degrees, and you will watch that spit that was on your 6 at d4 just a moment earlier go flying off to your left big time In a matter of seconds that spit will be at about d12-d14. Should be good for a laugh. Kind of like watching a cheetah chase after a gazelle at 70 mph and then trip on some barbed wire.

Big joke.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I would record that sometime when it happens again or post the film of that so we get an idea of what that was.

3. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Did you try another dive like that without the 110 around?

Does the spit1 do that always? Anyone else have the same experience?

That really sucks.

4. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Would the spit 1 modelled in the game be fixed pitch prop or is it variable pitch or was it constant speed???? I think there was a roll to the right on takeoff in the fixed pitch spits and hurris, funny handling with the variable pitch and much better with the constant speed, I cannot recall what happenned when the planes got fast and tried rolling to one direction or the other...... fixed pitch props could over-rev and torque would be EffecTed etc... take my question and ponder it please? My brain overheats when I work it too hard.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  5. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

6. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

oh I meant over 400 mph like closer to 500...the 110 can turn to the right and get away, a spit will lock up and pull to one side.

I was drunk slightly when I noticed this stuff.

7. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

you should see the japanese planes at this speed

8. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Ki-84

9. DZIVDZAN

DZIVDZAN Well-Known Member

Ki is faster then mosquito. Think I watch too much of Discovery and History channel :alc:

10. allpay

allpay Well-Known Member

yep, ki-84 faster than spit1 :D

11. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

They have films about those aircraft on those stations? I didn't know that. I don't watch TV.

12. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know I've been whining about the Ki-84 for years :p but I'll say it again, Ki-84s in Jap service did NOT reach 420+ mph. In fact it was rare for them to even reach 400.

13. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Several months ago i measured roll rate/IAS performance for almost all 1-engine planes in game (there is an idea to make them historical, some of them really need BIG fix).
    So, what i want to say, any plane at any speed has absolutely equal left/right roll if its ailerons are trimmed to speed. If u had problems with going right, u should use trim, manually or press X for a second.
    I tried spit-1 just now and got 15-20 deg/s at 400 mph (both left and right, as i said), that is without rudder. Can easily approve by trk, if need.

I have no real data for spit-1, but our spit5/9/14 are among models with relatively realistic roll, according to my trials and NACA data. I didnt tested spit-1 (no data to compare, will be nice if anybody has, pls give link), but it feels almost equal to later models with metal ailerons, so i don't think its roll here is worse than IRL.

All planes in game are modeled assuming that they are in perfect conditions and all needed fuel components and oils are available.
    And where should we get data with exact numbers for models if we say, that documents like this are wrong?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  14. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Been wondering about that myself.

15. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

P-38s speeds are already rechecked both with and without wep ;) and will be corrected if anything is wrong.

16. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the fixes are coming soon! :@prayer:

17. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Thx :D The WEP results are consistently 10Mph more than all speeds measured by USAF and Lockheed testing trails so, that should be pretty easy to figure.

18. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

I mean that P-38's "military power" = our WEP, i will remind fas to increase wep time before overheat for F so it will be about 5+ min, as was IRL according to spitperformance:
    http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-38/p-38.html
    (read ** to p-38f time to climb 20kf).

Its one of WB engine problems - only 2 regimes for engine when IRL many planes had more (P-51D, for example - normal, combat, emergancy, btw may be ajusted a little too), but at least with p-38f everything looks obvious enough :).

19. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

The way I interpreted it was that 80% power is normal power, 100% is combat power, and WEP is emergency/takeoff power. To put it another way, I viewed normal power as a maximum cruise speed setting. However, the game doesn't quite simulate the engine heating that combat power would cause. The question I have is if it is possible to model a sort of half rate WEP heating model for the yellow arc. If the developers could manage that, would it be possible to write into the DM a means of damaging the cooling system since it would become a more important component of the aircraft?

Cooling system damage is something I always wanted to have modeled, especially during the early war period when most every plane has rather inadequate weapons for wholesale airframe destruction. It would also make late war more interesting in my opinion, as pilots would have to be a measure more deliberate in attacking because they would be more vulnerable. The idea being that all these high speed fighters can be slowed down significantly by a little ping in the radiator and help prevent those idiotic, endless boom and zoom fights where there's stalemate for half an hour or something after the fighter being attacked has landed a hit or two on the attacker, and the attacker has landed hit after hit on the target aircraft with no effect.

20. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

The only fair and universal way to transform different IRL regimes of different planes to WB is time this regimes could be used for. P-38f didn't have any emergency (at list no any mention at spitperformance in published reports), but its combat was very limited in time, so it can't be modeled as unlimited 100% and looks very well as WEP.
    P-51D had unlimited normal, limited but very long combat and shot emergency, so i think its possible to use its combat as 100% and WEP as WEP. Etc... individually for each plane with only objective criterion - continues usage time.
    Half-wep is nice idea, but developers' access to client-controlled features is very limited, they can only adjust them, not really program.
    New dmg model has more chance to became true :).