So, this has potential....

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Rainer, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Rainer

Rainer Well-Known Member

to be pretty cool....

"The original find was thought to be about 20 planes, but updated estimates put that number at 140.
    So as we wrote when Cundall announced his find, the Spitfires sit still crated, with their wings folded back along their bodies, covered in grease and wax paper and buried in their original shipping crates. Their joints are even tarred and they're expected to be in pristine condition."

:flyer:

2. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

This is such great news!

3. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Wow! But still crated in original shipping containers? Skeptical but I sure hope that it's true :super:

4. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

If you burry something in a rain forest, in spruce boxes and endeavor to dig em up after 70 years, you won't be digging up
    any
    planes.
    Those things are throughly composted now.
    If they were buried in Libya or, say, under ice in Greenland, the things your dig up would might be, well, worth any millions, but old corroded, oxidized, rotten and compressed into layers crap dug up is fit for archaeological study and that is about all.
    Like that roman sword I once saw, in an expedition, I was a little boy, but I asked myself, what the fuck were Romans troops doing waving around rusty old cracking things for, those don't look so scary to me....

5. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Yep I'm wonderin about the containers.. People in charge of buryin spitfires are usually the smart kind. Like, they were thinkin'..when we take them out of the ground, they have to work still, we are not buryin people at a funeral, we are tryin to save the world from japs. I reckon they will be okay. Although there are dumb people who are hailed as geniuses everyday. (see below)