What are we going to do?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by flygod, Apr 17, 2013.

1. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Awesome!

Yeah, getting shot down over and over again, having my butt handed back to me had me coming back. Usually with each new opponent, I would learn their flying style, tactics, and approach. The difference between many opponents and myself is consistency. I technically don't have consistency. Keeps the other guy guessing. The thing I've always done to make it interesting was to get into a situation that looks impossible, and fight my way out of it. Like tossing myself into the pool to learn swimming. And I have a sniper mentality. Flying alone. I was more likely to get attacked flying alone but, that's what I wanted. :turret:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. flygod

flygod Well-Known Member

You had consistency the other night in TA, you consistently would not make a mistake.

Right when I thought I had you, you would do just what you were suppose to do, e.g extend, split or what ever.

Hell I didnt think it would ever end. Finaly I would do something risky just to end it all, lol. Thats when I said "We really need some newbies in here,lol"

cheers

3. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

learning curve is definitely a problem for the community.
    but if you suggest the page more attractive than wbfree.net/new, we'd like to discuss it.

4. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Many many years of practice my friend. ;)

Well, if we get some veteran pilots from other sims, that would mix things up a bit. :duel:

5. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

But, there is no way to make an online arena with offline settings?:dunno:

6. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

what are "offline settings" exactly?

7. gollum

gollum Member

About drones.
    Once I was involved in an another "free host" for WB.
    To get more action we made recordings ( "tracks" ) of flights, that was stored on the server.
    Each "track" had a name ( dronesomething ) and could be activated by anyone.
    The recorded flights was replayed in the arena and was used for training. When a a drone had got enough hits it exploded, and could be restarted.
    As far as I remember this was not that hard to implement.
    These drones was nice to spend the time on when waiting for the other to turn up in the arena.
    Whatdoyouthink ?

8. tazman88

tazman88 Well-Known Member

Would the drones attack ground and air targets or just fly around? I suppose even just flying around is better than nothing.

9. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Yep. They dropped bombs. I don't think they did any jabo. Just buff work. And they were hard to kill, fly in [I believe] fours. Or maybe it was threes.... Been a couple years since I was there.
    I don't think that [another "free host" for WB] uses wb2.77 anymore.
    Are not they based on wb3 or something?
    Sorry if I am wasting yer time.
    Don't yell at me, ha.

10. gollum

gollum Member

These drones was just recordings "tracks", so they did just what was done during the recording. Maybe i am wrong here( long time ago ) But I think i was was possible for anyone to add drone-recordings to the system.

11. flygod

flygod Well-Known Member

I believe and I think everyone would agree, WB’s (since no one has produced anything close to it) the guys that produced it made a masterpiece.

I’m pretty sure I’ve tried every air combat sim out there and none even come close to WB’s, even after all this time. I even tried the latest one “War Thunder”. The videos on YouTube are spectacular; you can tell they spent a fortune developing it. So I downloaded the 9GB install for it and my opinion… “Horrible game play” I feel bad for them considering all that money they invested in it. It was un-playable basically, so blotted down with the “graphics” it was a disappointment to say the least.
    WB’s did not sacrifice game play for the graphic effect. Sure they could be better, but graphics are over rated. And most people said “the graphics are pretty good” better than they were expecting if they knew how dated it is.

Recruiting new people the objections I noticed were:
    1. It is an old game i.e., (must not be any good)
    2. Its free i.e., (thanks to the web, free is a bad thing)
    3. Difficulty (the installing is fixed now .exe, we need to address the 'I just got killed a lot or I kept crashing' issues. I think we can come up with solutions for those easily enough.)

To overcome these issues we need to do what almost every company I’ve worked for has done. For marketing purposes, they take whatever it was and repackage it as a new release. How many times have you bought new version of some software and say “they changed the look, renamed everything, moved everything around but it’s the same.” maybe one new feature. Software companies are notorious for this. They do it because of marketing; they have to for cash flow and because everyone wants the newest.

Therefore; I think we need to re-release it as “Warbirds Returns” “Phoenix Warbirds”) or something. I can make a simple landing page (my 30yrs in technology I’ve found simplicity is still in style and demand more than ever).
    One page site with a SEO friendly domain name like “aircombat…com e.g., with a lot of nice graphics, videos and propaganda BS, “Voted #1 air combat sim” --PC gamer, “it gave me flashbacks” --Gregory Boyington, just a bunch of over the top BS. I don’t believe in it but, that’s what you have to do to market stuff to Americans at least.

With a price of only $69.99! Or if you think you’re a natural Ace pilot, download and play for 30 days, if you prove you’re an Ace, no charge! And have the site linking back to; wbfree.net/and the /new. Once it is already to go.

And if anyone sends in $69 I guess we can apply it to the server, dev. slush fund. And knowing Americans, they just might. And get it listed on all the gaming sites etc.

And as far as the copyright issues go, I don’t know if there is anyone left that has standing and we know Russia is immune. And as far as me in the states, any attorney would advise “he is judgment proof”
    I am freed up for the next few months so I can start on it. Then, what few of us are left here can start posting on the net for SEO.

Cheers :cheers:
    flygav (flygda)

12. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Wow, I don't play for about a month and now everyone has gone??? Well if you ask me since so few do fly and most of the time those that are in the arena are not visable on radar and if you find out where they are or at least where they have bombed to close the field by the time you get up into the virtual air they scramble home or land and then go to close the next base usually above and out of radar range yet again. I know many like the bombing and closing of fields and it can be fun, but the great days of dogfighting is pretty much gone and that's when we had the most players/flyers. So my suggestion would be to remove the radar hiding effect so some can come and get into a fight right away. I know I have popped into the arena on more then a few occations for a quick fight and just get discouraged flying around endlessly trying to find where the enemy is/was or has gone or landed and left the arena altogether. About bring new faces here well the website be it the old one or the newer link should have the newest available launcher available for any and all to see and get into the game as quickly as possible and with easy instructions on how to get the game up and running. <S> all and I'll try to get into the arena for a quick fight or two soon I only hope others will be in also. <S>

bullet

13. wabwab

wabwab Well-Known Member

I am not sure what's happening here, did not play WB for the last 8 years but would like to dogfight again. Is there an alternative to WB FH? What about the Warbirds with server in Japan, too expensive?

14. flygod

flygod Well-Known Member

I agree, that would help. And yes you left for a month and it all went down the drain. Now we know why, lol.

But WBFH will rise again and will be the apex WW2 Air Combat Sim it justly deserves. In addition, will dominate the arena of ww2 air combat Sims (for 2000 years!). I wanted to see it return for my selfish motives of enjoyment, but that only produced halfhearted motivation.
    However, this is a new day, and current events have changed everything. Those arrogant bastards at War Thunder have pissed me off. Now I am shifting priorities due to the following:

I was just reading the War Thunder forums one day. And a person was posting his list of disappointments with WT and I, being the good helpful Joe I am. Suggested he take a look at WB's, as it is an oldie, but far superior sim.​

Even though they (allegedly) have 15,000 people trying to play that disaster every day, you wouldn’t think little old me would even be a blip on the radar of the massive multiplayer. However, the next day I received this email:
    flygav,

Onewayz has sent you a new personal conversation entitled "WarBirds".

Onewayz said:
    ======================================================================
    Its is indeed a very good game but please stop advertising it here :)s, not everyone likes it.
    ======================================================================

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!
    You can reply to this personal conversation by following the link below:​

I click on the link and am informed I have been banned for 365 days for spamming! lol.

What the (&^*^^(), I said Good grief. I think they confirmed what we have suspected all along. WBFH is the preeminent ww2 sim to this day. And he tipped his hand, obviously, they don’t want that rat to get out of the wood pile. I have news for Mr. Onewayz, I am not in Russia, where I am from we don’t censor people, all people are equal and speak freely. That is why WBFH will survive; it is a community by the people for the people. And even though some wanted some banned, I don’t think anyone ever was (ok exec, don’t have me the first one banned).

Therefore; I am reallocating all resources (sorry son) to the situation at hand, restoring WBFH to its position it justly deserves, the apex air combat flight sim.

I’ll make a video of War Thunder on my WBs blog http://www.cleburnecomputer.com/wb/ site I been working on, so you can see this disaster for yourself. So you don’t have to upgrade your memory, video card and download the 12GB the hog requires, just to find out…well you’ll see.

fly :mad:

15. tazman88

This story reminds me of when FH started. Anyone on IEN that mentioned FH would be immediately banned. Actually flygav, I received the same PM from Onewayz. I did not click the link that was provided but he told me not to advertise FH. We might have to make a youtube video systematically comparing the two sims to one another in a variety of areas. Post it as a video response or something

16. flygod

flygod Well-Known Member

That confirms that they know what we have known all along…WB’s is king.
    Every client base suffers from attrition. People move on, die off, get a woman etc. And for reasons (we all are aware of) we suffered attrition too. And unlike a commercial enterprise that is always marketing for new customers, no one was minding the store in that department and here we are.

Therefore, the fate of WBs is up to us few surviving elder statesman. And to be good boys and be our brother’s keeper it is our duty to spread the good news.

The only way we can do this without a budget is for us all to do what we can. The only piratical way is to make a presence on the web i.e., search engine optimization (SEO, directing people to your site). I will post some articles for those who need more understanding of it. But it does require some work, but if everyone will do a little, it can be done.

Making a presence on the web like Youtube accounts, I think we all need to setup a WBs youtube account, the more the better. Same goes for facebook accounts.

The other day I did a Google search for “best air combat simulator” and such. At the top of the list was one blog on Hubpages.com, so I’m setting up a blog there. (and no I did not come across WBFH anywhere) so we have some work to do.

So if we each have a blog and Youtube accounts setup, we can all start posting on each other’s pages and the web crawlers in a few months will start picking them up. Heil WBFH!

Here is one I’m working on that will need some posts on http://www.cleburnecomputer.com/wb/

:help:
    fly..

17. tazman88

That stillshot of the tailgunner with the P40 flying by looks pretty good. Is there a way to enable comments on those videos?

18. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

I'll pop in over the week end, I thought about that WarThunder game but since trying WorldofTanks I'll pass if it even remotely similar. I decided to give the Tank game a try since I was a tanker long long ago ;-) but I still love a good Dogfight

<S> bullet

19. zeybek

zeybek Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  20. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

I never see anyone on anymore so, this might just be it :( <S> to all and thanks for all the fun since the start.

<S> bullet