Thank you Jesus is RIGHT!

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by -ALW-, Jun 25, 2013.

1. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

This guy is amazing. The Lord is even MORE amazing.
    All respect for this guy. A great example.

Kudos to you Nik!!

"At this point in my career, I've walked on a wire most of my life," Wallenda told the New York Daily News a few days before his historic jaunt near the Grand Canyon.

"When you go up higher than the Empire State Building, it's a mental game," he added.

Wallends said that he’s hoping his next big career step will be on the biggest stage of all. "The dream is to walk between two skyscrapers in New York," he said on air after completing his walk.

Wallenda told the Daily News that he tries to shut out thoughts of tripping or falling to his death, a fate that has taken some of his family members over the years. In fact, he said, media questions about falling mess with his mental preparation.

Nik is the seventh generation of "Great Wallendas", a family of death-defying circus performers who trace their roots back to the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1780. His first "official" performance was at age 2, but his mother was still walking the high wire at six months pregnant. His mother also handcrafts the shoes he wears on every wire walk.

In 2012, Wallenda became the first person to walk across the Niagara Falls — a feat that earned him his seventh world record. His first tight rope walk was in Old Forge, NY. He rode a bicycle across a wire suspended from the Prudential Tower in Newark, walked between the Pyramids and performed a 135-foot-long high-wire crossing between the two towers of the Condado Plaza Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

That was the same walk that killed his great-grandfather, noted the Daily News.

On Sunday, once he was close to the end with only a few feet left on the wire, Wallenda jogged to the safety of the other side. He kissed the ground before embracing his family. His completion time was just under 23 minutes.

"I did it," he said, tears forming in his eyes.

The Daily News reported that the two-hour special drew 8.5 million viewers, with 13 million viewers tuning in during the actual live crossing.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/169274#.UcjwiTfJKjY

2. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

In the book, Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A Heinlein, recall who were among Michael's [the protagonist] first disciples?
    Circus people.
    Well, it was ironic in the book, but in a way, not at all.
    Same here, the guy is doing something sensible and at the same time, he is pushing his luck, like Michael, in the book I mentioned above.
    The book's hero, Mike[SPOILER AHEAD] , got stoned to deathtoward the end.... And that was just the beginning. A bit like Christ's murder.
    A hi-wire walker would be sensibly praying, ooh, yeah, but what is he doing on that wire in the first place?
    Well, why do we walk across a busy road or hop on a short flight? Make sure ya go to Pamplona at least once in yer life........

Good post!

Don't suppose you have read Stranger In A Strange Land
    If you haven't you should

الله أكبر

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  3. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

When Wallenda walked across Niagara falls, he was using a safety harness.

[​IMG]

A lot of people were wondering if they could get their money back, until they realized that it was a free show.

:dunno: :@popcorn:

4. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

You are an old man, Hezey ;)

Thanks for posting that Ozark Mountain Daredevils thing. Blast from the past for sure.

ALW: But don't you think that guy's insane? Sure, he did an amazing stunt and he has a great talent, but he's tempting death an awful lot. So many of his family members have died doing that stuff over the last 60 years or so.

5. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Uncles: Yes, I am getting old, if 54 means old...... But ya know, the song is beautiful... It is pretty up-beat and it is Good News.
    If you like the American sound, this is surely acceptable to ya and lots of other people, all over the place. Me?: I love it.
    And a little bit of worship in a rocking song never hurt a soul.:shuffle:

In Newfoundland and PEI and NS, in Canada, every family has relatives that died at sea. 500 years of fishermen.
    Lots of people ask themselves, 'isn't that insane? What a terrible way to die, being in the drink without a chance....'
    Yet fishermen keep on doing it.
    And keep getting killed horribly.
    A fisherman who refuses to wear a life-jacket, will often tell you:
    If I go overboard, if my crew cannot pull me back, I do not want to struggle for hours and die, I want the Lord to just take me..........*
    Whoa....

* less often is that choice allowed in modern times than the past, there are laws to be obeyed and crew is seldom allowed on deck without life saving gear.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  6. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I don't think he's insane. People do worse dangerous things and get killed daily.

الله هو مثلي الجنس وأن محمدا حبيبته

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  7. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Howdy, friend :)

We're basically the same age, OK. I'm old and embracing the decrepitude lately, hehe. I liked that song, of course. I'm not spiritual, however. But I will defend one's right to be spiritual, no matter what that may be.

Old I am. Been many places and done many things. I'm a retarded Yoda about some things within my purview. Else I got nothin'.

I've no agendas anymore :)

Let's talk again in a few months :)

8. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

The video didn't load for me, but I'm an American-born guy who actively supports the USA, lives in the USA, in case you are wondering. But I'm not completely blind :)

9. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Madness is everywhere, is very common. I think most people, once they have evolved into adults, go crazy. If ya think not, well, reflect on what and what is not madness when you are involved in a massive pile-up on highway 401, in a blizzard......

Crazed behaviour are things like sky-diving or high-wire walks, painting odd looking cubist stuff, gathering huge collections of postage stamps or enjoying long [deleted] sessions with like-minded [deleted]s.
    Or driving down a jammed highway in a howling blizzard way too fast, madness. And after ya awaken in the hospital six months later, you have no memory of it and likely because what you were doing makes no sense, is incomprehensible. But the Medicine men will make you better and get you on the road [pun intended] again.

Thinking cubist art is art, that is madness.
    Making cubist art is behaviour.

Enjoying high wire walking is madness
    Doing it is behaviour.

Mad [​IMG] bad
    I think Nik is mad, but I think my old mom is and the guy upstairs, who screams at his Sony gametox or whatever they are called, he is gone mad, is mad also.
    But neither Nik nor my old mom nor the guy upstairs are criminals.*

That is why Nik uses a safety harness sometimes, if he is working in a land where no harness is A CRIME, he obeys the law and uses a harness. If he is working in a land where the laws allow him to walk witout a harness, he does it.
    He isn't a criminal nor a bad guy.
    But he is mad.
    But not angry.
    :@drunk::shuffle:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013