New release of IL2FH v1.00b

Discussion in 'IL-2 Sturmovik (En)' started by barmal, May 2, 2009.

1. swanca

swanca Well-Known Member

same view ;)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. jfm

jfm Well-Known Member

probably theres no server with settings like WBFH/il2FH on hyperlobby
    even if some allow icons, other settings are bad, like easy engine managment, transparent cockpits, external view, or icons visible from 50m

linked server is not exception, but after some rules (we use full cockpit/no external view/no la7 ;) its good for learnig il2 coz its neverending furball with many planes available,
    of course things like low possibility to surprise target or cons doing successful "blind shots" from crazy angles, or knowing your position b4 dot appears on screen (red/blue arrow in no cockpit view :dura: ) can be annoying, but it increase difficulty (and some time cause waste of time when you running away 5-10min, without cons on 6 ;) i missing this WB bug with 5+3 or 5+1 views on numpad ;) )

i forgot about _TGR_ server, ive seen 2 setting one very similiar to FH, second
    no icons on enemy (so i see tracers first then plane, and no idea about his energy or plane type ;)

3. TGR_Teo

TGR_Teo Well-Known Member

Flying in custom realisim settings makes a player lazy but yes much funny, i agree. In this case you guys should make a decision. If you think only fly IL-2 Warbirds, it is not problem. But if you want fly this simulation, you should start fly in servers with full difficulty settings. In those servers pilot/player can have advantages about well plane recognation, red and blue plane characteristic analysis, best performance values etc...

4. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Also advantage about 200% healthy eyes, 30" screen at 1024x768 (or 800x600) resolution, hardware, allowing to fly with all max graphic settings and new .dll files, with increased view distance ).
    Thx, but i love markers :).
    And imho, difficulty is wrong word for online game; what makes situation more difficult for me, makes it easier for my opponent, and vice versa. So difficulty can't change with turning markers ON or OFF, that's simple math :). That approved when i participated in fight 4x4 with much more skillfull opponents, about 4 years ago, in end, i survived having 1 kill :). Surely that was accidental and i was just lucky. But that's 1 more argument for me, i prefer games, where skill means more, and luck a bit less :).

5. TGR_Teo

I am using 1024x res and 17" monitor. I do not have a good machine for having more advantage. I can not see plane dots if planes far about 2-2,5k or more. I can not see planes if they fly below me (especially on green bacground). I can not hear external object sounds well (onboard damn sound card). I can not play well if i choose far vis distance (very low fps). I can not fly in good con speed (generally high pings here because of f*cking turktelekom co) and it is making my shoots inappropriate. In this simulation all German and some allied planes have big dots for being visible from far distance. Thats why full difficulty settings are disadvantage for me but i am a simulation lover. It means that i have enough love to simulate my "virtual pilot spirit". Everybody have their own reason to fly/play this simulation/game. I am choosing fly this simulation. Regards...

6. swanca

swanca Well-Known Member

Good sentence :@prayer:

I support:super:

7. TGR_Teo

Difficulty means same as or at least more close to real life dynamics. So, if you can see; opponents distance with numbers and plane type on it (especially from far distance), his flight path, instrument values on the left down screen etc, you can not say it is more difficult. And also you can not talk about skill. Skill is not about managing well the axis controlls of plane only, it is about to know the tactics and plane characteristics also. Skill is calculating wheater-altitude-speed-characteristics etc but not reading plane type-distance etc. What do you guys understand with skill? What is the problem about understanding this simulation? What developers should do with this simulation for more realism? How do you guys talk about luck in this simulation?

For example:

*In a P-47D you can outclimb a FW-190 Dora. This means that as a P-47 pilot, you can easly run out from Dora. But Dora easly outturn a P-47. So, you should not to do turnfight with a Dora. This is tactic and no need to see icons, plane name, flight path etc. Knowing these tips makes you more skilled. You do not need any chance while fighting against a Dora.

*In a Pe-2, you can outdive all kind of planes in this simulation. Climb to the high alt, fly to the enemy troops, dive to the ground objects... This tactic assuring your kills.

I know much virtual pilots can fly for 100-150 missions alive with +200 air and ground kills. They were fighting againist skilled virtual pilots from all around the world. They were fighting against the much skilled/well organised squadrons. Do you guys think that they were just lucky?

I sometimes dogfighting (duelling 1 vs 1) against much skilled virtual pilots for 2,5-3 years. I have 4 years online war competition experience. And never heard/read about luck for being continuous success. Please tell me what i am missing? Please tell me what whole online virtual pilots missing also? What developers making wrong?

PS:I am not critising IL-2 FH server settings, but just talking about difficulty/realism.

Regards...

8. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

I don't say, that u need no skill to fly without markers, surely u need. I just say 2 things.
    1. Even Qake3 arena may be very difficult, when u meet strong enemy. So it's wrong to put difficulty and realism in direct dependence and "more close to real life dynamics is not always more difficult".
    According to Il2, i can say, that turning markers OFF makes it harder to gain kill, but easier to survive. And yes, it gives more chance to lucky kills and lucky surviving. (that's 2-nd thing) It can be easily explained: as i know, it was count, that about 80% of air kills in real WW2 were made, when victim didn't notice attacking plane before it opens fire, so no climb or turn or roll rate meant anything for most of real life air victories. That is reality, and turning markers OFF makes game closer to it. But that surely doesn't mean, that it's enough to be "just lucky", i know, that flying at fullreal requires much form pilot.
    Also i agree with u about what is skill, even at wb fh u have to know all planes' characteristics, and tactics is much more important, then just skill of managing the axis controlls of plane. U just have more info about ur enemy (and enemy - about u) and can plan ur action more precisely. Btw, such precision makes knowing plane's characteristics in detales even more critical ;).
    Hmm... so many letters.
    Main thing is that different settings provide different gamplay and different effective tactics, u can like more one or another, and have different reasons for that, (best is try all, did u try to fly online with FH-like settings? ;) ) but anyway, that is not a question of difficulty.

9. =SDPG=SPAD

=SDPG=SPAD Well-Known Member

gil....I hope you don't mind I'm writing in English - I'm doing so basically 'cause i'd like to make my post useful for all Il-2 flyers here, not just you)

So, getting to the point:
    ----------------------
    If you prefer just furball and don't bother too much about enemy tactics, gaining right positional advantage and so on - you sholud try these:
    ------------------------
    AleX's Server
    A well-known server for beginners. Just don't expect anything more form it :D
    217.78.176.50:2100

Another example of roughly the same type: Skies of Valour
    67.106.81.125:21040

Pokryschkin - 0 217.70.119.165:21000
    More experienced pilots and more demanding planesets.

Alkar Dogfight
    One more "pure furball" dogfight server - much stronger pilots, very well-balanced maps - but no markers for enemy planes:
    il2.alkar.net:21000

Vinni #0
    A training ground for SLI, JG154, FX, FB and other fearsome monsters of 'RU' space)) Here they don't care about stat and merely exercise gunnery and manoeuvring. Strangely enough - quite a lot of easy-kills in the air, too :) Very intensive dogfight. All icons off.
    212.192.155.118:21000

All the servers above have version 4.08m

-------------
    Next type of servers - "complicated dogfight" - larger maps, more historically-oriented planesets, limited number of planes (each type), lots of ground targets for level-bombers and ground-attack planes; and finally - pilots much more concerned with their K/D and streak :D

Markers are generally on for friendlies only , at about 1-2 km. Registering a pilot on the server's webpage usually is a must, so i'm giving webpage adresses - there you can find the actual server's IP, and read about registering a pilot as well.
    ----------------

CZ_AH Dedicated 147.32.50.52:21000
    Somewhere in between the first and 2nd group) No registration, markers on for both friend and foe, GPS, speedbar. More furball-oriented, although some streak-farmers and dedicated bombers inhabit this place too. 4.08m + optional mods.

Corbina: http://www.il2.corbina.ru/index.php?navigation=en/
    4.08m, markers for friendlies, GPS, speedbar on. Registering required.
    Not really tough pilots, most are of intermediate level, however a few "mammonths" tend to spend some time here, usually under a fake nickname ;)
    Mind it's russian, so western pilots could get a poor connection.

War-Clouds http://www.war-clouds.com
    4.09bm1; optional mods (AAA UI 1.1.1) - you'll have to install them if you want to fly planes such as B-17 or Me410 (not human-flyable in un-modded Il-2).
    Two popular servers, one for Western-Front and one for the Pacific Theatre; sometimes WF operations are set on EF maps, due to lack of proper maps such as France mainland, Germany and so on. Markers for both friend and foe, although from a short distance only. Haven't visited it for a long time, but i guess not much has changed. 'Cause most of the maps are set in 1944 and later, the planeset are alike on most maps. The pilots are (or at least were) rather good.

Warbirds of Prey http://warbirdsofprey.org/
    This portal has three servers - Spits vs. 109, Zeke vs. Wildcat and Spits vs. 109 MO, the latter growing more and more popular recently. The first two are 4.08m, the modified one is 4.09bm + UI 1.1.1 - here the mod pack is a required one.

Used to hold more "newbie" pilots than WarClouds, but today a lot of people have migrated here from WC for some unknown reasons (pardon me, but as a russian flyer i'm not really into all the events of the English community.)
    Settings are complete FR (no markers, no speedbar, no GPS)

Strategy of Victory - Earth in Flames http://sovteam.ru/war/en/index.html

The one I favour personally ( http://sovteam.ru/war/en/pilots/5485/index.html) :). A heir of legendary (at least in the RU zone) G1 server - it was originally held and maintained by GT before they went into developing Rise of Flight. Well-balanced maps, good amount of pilots in prime-time, skill-level varies greatly. Lots of ground action. 4.08m. Settings - GPS, speedbar on; markers - friendlies only. Registering required.

Queensland http://by.sturmovik.de/
    Actually most ppl know it simply as by.sturmovik. It's a German server (actually two servers, pilots tend to migrate between two). I'm unsure whether it has prepainted maps or generated ones, but they are quite finely made. No markers, no GPS, only speedbar, v.4.09bm1.

---------
    The 3rd type of servers are online wars - but i really suggest you don't start your il-2 flying with these))
    -------

Of course there are a lot more severs, I've listed only the ones i'm familiar with)

P.S. gil--, пиши в личку если чего, подскажу)

10. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

11. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

maddox enema

12. Red Ant

13. =SDPG=SPAD

I guess because it's too 'uber' as a ground attack plane. 12 HVAR's, 2x2000lb bombs + incredible speed&climb with all that ordnance loaded. Perhaps it'll be put into RPS again when Barmal develops a way to lock some ordnance layouts; maybe then P38 Late will reappear, but without the ability to carry bombs.

Or maybe someone just forgot to put it into RPS ;)

14. Red Ant

Umm ... 12 HVARs and 2 x 2000 lbs?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but IMO the heaviest loadout you can select in the game is 10 HVARs and 2 x 1000 lbs, exactly as it was in Warbirds.
    Also, its climb rate and speed are nowhere near incredible when it's weighed down by all that stuff hanging from its wings! :confused:

15. =SDPG=SPAD

Um, yeah, you're right about the load, but not about the P38's qualities :) It loses very little of its speed and dynamics despite the weight of bombs and rockets. As the experience shows us, all that the blue (gold) side has to offer in terms of ground attack is absolutely outclassed by this Intergalactic Raider :D Actually, the very same applies to other red attack craft carrying contemporary load. We'll just get hordes of P38 in the air, that's it...

16. Red Ant

I can't agree. A clean P-38 is a fairly good fighter aircraft. A P-38 with a full loadout of bombs and rockets is dead meat against virtually any kind of fighter, unless you lose those bombs as quickly as possible. Have you ever actually tried to fight enemy aircraft while carrying a full A2G loadout in a P-38? %)

17. Red Ant

Another question. With the FH mod installed it's impossible to join any other servers. Have you guys all got 2 Il-2 installs on your computer or do you just not install the FH mod at all until it 'goes gold' (i.e. gets past beta)?

18. TGR_Teo

We have 2 ver of il2.

19. Red Ant

I see. How did you get your computer to let you install a second instance of the game? If I run the setup.exe, the "Install" option is grayed out, presumably because I already got one instance of Il-2 installed on my machine. :\

20. =SDPG=SPAD

I didn't say a word about dogfighting in it. :)

I mean that with its high cruise speed and good ROC it can get to its target fast and at a good altitude, and so it has better, erm, productivity as a ground attack plane. Where a 190F8 makes just 1 sortie, a P-38 will manage to do two.

Not to mention that higher speed makes the P-38 more difficult to intercept, less susceptible to AAA; it's easier to provide cover for it, 'cause a flight of P-38 can quite rapidly get, say, 3km altitude; and lastly, when the bomb load has been dropped, the P-38 turns into a rather capable fighter.