OOOH: Do NOT fiddle with BIOS

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by hezzey, Feb 2, 2022.

1. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I had a problem with my HDD. I could only format ONE partition on it and I determined to fix that [It ain't right].
    Well, I made myself go LOTS deeper into The Shit. And even deeper. SO:
    I had to go onto the net and [Never mind, that was a terrible head-ache]...
    After learning all about all the Brand New Crap that was added to the BIOS thingie, I somehow manged to repair that Hard Drive. I do NOT know if what I did DID NOT break something else....
    [IF I cannot format multiple partitions I feel, um like I am walking in the snow without boots]

OldUncles and vasco like this.
  2. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I sometimes say to myself, I should stop here, mustn't go deeper. Occasionally I even listen to myself.

OldUncles and hezzey like this.
  3. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

It's not always possible, but sometimes the best solution is to buy a new desktop or laptop. I hate to say that, but it's true.

The "best," technically, by the numbers comp I have is from my work, but I just don't like it. A super MacBook Pro, fast as hell. Rarely want to use it. Used for emergencies and NetFlix. How sad is that? My first personal computer was a Mac around 1985. And I used to be a Mac programmer back in the day, so even I have difficulty saying that I'm not really a Mac guy anymore.

These days -- and I never thought I'd write this -- my favorite platform is Windows 11. With good desktop PC, can run WSL Linux distros and be quite happy. And I'm so old, I really don't love laptops.

And now with the amazing cloud stuff available, can can connect to cloud VMs with a good SSH client and it's a shockingly decent experience.

vasco likes this.
  4. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I have a tiny but very powerful machine that I use for my reading before I go to sleep.
    I put it on my tummy it is a iPad Pro 2021 and I have it mounted with a keyboard and it is very much like a laptop.
    It is my favourite and I think it is pretty much my best computer*.
    I do not do anything to it except use it. It costed me, I forget really it was over two grand…
    I still do not have a mouse or one of those fancy I pens or whatever it is called.
    But that thing a I have not fiddled even a tiny bit with I refuse to I am just gonna leave it alone. I have never bought a PC* that broke the bank before this is the first one for me.

*Apple calls the iPad Pro a computer I didn’t make that up.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    OldUncles likes this.
  5. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

There's always a ChromeBook, or whatever it is they call them. In the plus column of your budget's ledger, the Chrome things are relatively cheap (~50% of a comparable Apple product?). On the negative side, they're limited in many ways, and it's from that monster corporation that has no soul. But these days, who are we to judge ethical questions.

6. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I like the Chromebook because I can find one that is new and cheap (er).
    [OTOH] I don’t like the Chromebook very much because I am in my 60s now and I don’t like being confronted with anything new. Gonna be fun shopping, I like that...
    It took me about 15 minutes to get my desktop PC working and feature complete and I don’t have to deal with the great Yankee monopoly.
    I spent some pretty difficult years learning how to (and still I get surprises every day!).
    And now the flavour of Linux that I use is about as isolated and unique as I can get it and I don’t worry about it.
    I in a year I will hand the I Thing to my ex-wife all reformatted and prepared for her she really likes those…
    And I really like it that I can hand her something that she can use and enjoy and it never argues with her and (important) our son is incapable [and inept?] and he gets a headache dealing with that thing! [he brags that there is a guy that comes to 'The Shop' and does all that shit..]
    [He has a powerful red car!!!! Ooooh.... Linda has her needs arranged. I am secure (I might get a Chromebook at end of the year..... Just sayin').]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    OldUncles likes this.