Merry Christmas!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by OldUncles, Dec 25, 2021.

1. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

You crazy bastiges! God bless, and wishing you all health and happiness in 2022.

miixch, Flk, looseleaf and 1 other person like this.
  2. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas Old Uncles !!!!! We are OLD crazy bastiges now !!!!

OldUncles and Flk like this.
  3. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Happy Everything to all!
    :cheers:

OldUncles and Flk like this.
  4. OldUncles

You got that right, man!

5. OldUncles

[​IMG]

I'm neither a religious nor spiritual man, but my family celebrated Christmas for centuries, and so I continue to celebrate it. For me it's a time to remember being together with all of my family in my youth. So there's no way I'm giving up on the memories and many of the cultural traditions. If my grandparents celebrated Christmas with me as a child, it's OK with me on an emotional level. It's not time for pure reason, rationality or dialectal gymnastics :)

6. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Indeed, Uncles!
    My wishing wasn't meant to be somehow critical, but exhaustive.

OldUncles likes this.
  7. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Happy Solstice [I am a little late, sorry!]

8. OldUncles

No worries, we can catch up at the vernal equinox (if we old timers make that far ;)

9. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Happy new Year!
    And we're not late for Christmas either... if we consider this to be a Russian-run site, their Christmas is a bit late... the calendar of the Orthodox church has it scheduled for January 7th :)

I've got a lot of Ukrainian friends, and even two Ukrainian-run businesses at "my" floor in the office building, where I rent my space so I know they're always a bit late with both Christmas and Easter (while Christmas is always 2 weeks later, the thing becomes more complicated with Easter... i dunno how it's going to be this year, but last year the Orthodox Easter was... over a month from the "regular" one - we had ours in early April, they had theirs in early May - and there were also instances when we had ours in March, while they held theirs in May).

OldUncles likes this.
  10. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Here too, there's an old style calendar, used by the russians and ukrainians, different from the romanian orthodox church one. I guess the romanian one is more aligned with the Constantinopole fashion. Tricky stuff church politics.

I personally celebrate the winter solstice, because I rely on sunlight for my work and I suffer from the shortening of the day. On the winter solstice, at the first ray of sunlight, I'm outside in the yard and I swear loudly towards the west. We have some interesting swearing here, I'll detail it someday.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  11. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Me too!

I was a Gardener

12. OldUncles

LOL :)

13. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I'm an astronomer working at an observatory here and I'm on the day shift. Of course, there's not much to be seen during daytime, but that's how work is organised.
    Some call it a sinecure, but to me it's honest work (someone has to do it!).

14. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Many years ago I was a employee of a eager little just off the boat Japanese guy he was my boss he ran a gardening company.
    When the autumn end it and it became winter there was little or no work for anyone who does gardening for their work.
    Koichi announced that I was the lone full-time Canadian guy to come to work every morning and work through the day until 5 PM.
    I was making just a little tiny bit above the minimum wage and that means I really should’ve been sitting at home playing video games.
    But quit she had some sort of tax scheme and he needed to prove to somebody that he was making the money.
    And a Hi was privileged enough to be his only white monkey!!!
    And for about three months during the coldest winter that I still remember to this day it was so cold the air froze!
    And I had to find my way every morning to his little shop and then we would drive out in a pick up truck two guys with a bunch of equipment and we would mow lawns and trim shrubs and pick weeds and stuff for the gardener does!
    It was during the coldest fucking winter I have ever seen in my life and there was no, absolutely no gardening being done by anybody!
    And five days a week for eight hours a day I went out with him and we would go to rich peoples places in rich neighbourhoods where rich people lived and we would pretend to mow their frozen lawns and pretend to trim their frozen shrubs and pluck their frozen weeds.
    And nothing had grown and no shrubs needed to be touched and there were no weeds popping up anywhere it was -12° outside for weeks maybe months I do not know but oh fuck was it ever cold!
    And Quechee explained to me that his customers were all to be serviced as according to a contract.
    I can remember saying so yeah it’s a contract and so?
    And he would earnestly and nervously and eagerly explain to me it is a contract we must show up every day and be busy busy busy busy!
    And that would say but we’re not busy we’re mowing lawns that have not grown for two months and we are plucking weeds that aren’t there and we are trimming bushes that don’t grow they are sleeping now it is winter!
    And he would smile and politely and eagerly say what we are on the contract we need to look like we are working so you show up at 8 AM every morning and come with me and we will pretend to be gardeners in the middle of the winter when nobody else in the world is doing gardening at -12 in the middle of the winter !
    And he would say Blad (yeah that’s what he called me)… it doesn’t matter that we are not doing anything we are just burning gas and looking busy because we need to work!
    And after him smiling at me like an eager little beaver and explaining it again and again I gave up asking him and I would just go to work every morning and work through until 4 o’clock and then go home and this went on for about three months in the dead of a freezing fucking cold Canadian winter and yeah it gets cold here!!
    Koichi was in some sort of world I think he was sniffing ether or maybe he was drinking odourless booze and he was drunk all the time but I didn’t know it because I was just a gaijin and there was not much brains in me and he would smile at me and say let us go to work we must work we must look like we are working we must drive around like busy little bees!
    He was Japanese off the boat he had come to Canada with his little white monkey wife and he was being a so-called Japanese gardener?
    And I was his white monkey crewmen!
    And I was supposed to like it that he had kept me on during the coldest months of the year that I still got to make my almost minimum wage job
    Oh I got to do nothing for three months all I had to do was just walk around and pretend that I was picking weeds and trimming weeds or something.
    It must be noted that nothing grew absolutely nothing grew for three months of that winter it was just cold as hell it was like Siberia here there was nothing for a gardener to do!
    It is or was my theory that Koichi was having some sort of trouble with the yakuza!
    I mean what the fuck was he doing oh I accepted the work!
    I have no idea what his little white monkey wife was doing at home!! We never talked.
    And that guy is English for so terrible he made zero sense to me!
    I remember that winter very well because my son was a newborn baby and I had a wife at home and I really did appreciate the work when there isn’t a fucking gardener on earth that is working when it is like Siberia-in-winter outside!
    Did that make any sense imagine maintaining a dormant frozen garden and lawn for rich people and keeping my head down and acting busy and pretending to do any work and I didn’t know work at all neither did Kouichi we just kept our heads down and our asses up and we’re out every single morning and left our wives at home!
    I cannot blame this thing buddy because it doesn’t make any sense- does it?
    (No he was not and he’s not Chinese we know what those people are up to they are acting in an insane manner! Call Kohichi what is Japanese. What the fuck???)

15. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Some of that didn’t make any sense I am using an iPad and do you know what the Voice to text mechanism in an iPad is like???
    Never mind!!

16. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

Oh, so now it makes sense! I was like "did he really type all of that?"
    lol

PS: How do you disable signatures in posts nowadays? There used to be a checkbox in the old days :(

hezzey likes this.
  17. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

There may be another method but I think this thing pictured can be altered and perhaps that will do the job?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/hmSxkecc3i4mWQK88

18. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

Got it! Thanks, hezzey!
    I left the broken links in my sig just because of nostalgia lol