Windows 8 is a reality.

Discussion in 'Game bugs' started by hezey, May 23, 2013.

1. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

"2. I use Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 and WB in 3D mode but the game crashes when I switch planes.

Solution: If you are running Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 and want to be able to play in 3D you will probably need to remove a tick from "Display properties>Effects>Use transition effects for menus and tooltips", otherwise WB may crash when you change the plane.

You can find properties at "Display properties->Appearance->Effects" or (as Administrator) also by right-clicking "My Computer" under "System Properties->Advanced->System Ressources->Visual Effects", where you can anyway choose the "Optimized for speed" option..."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    What does all that stuff mean in Windows 8?
    I am not trying to be a smart ass, I am trying to get the game to behave as it did in windows 7.
    I understand that what is underneath this terrible UI is just Windows 7 guts and bones.
    But all the ways to get from one thing to another are changed, in little ways and big too.

2. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

FYI hez, this game is from 2003 or so. just install linux peppermint or ubuntu version with the latest service pack.
    Install it somwhere not in your root C: drive or whatever you are using for your virtual drive. You should be fine.
    what's with you anyway? Windows 8 is for garden variety pc users.

3. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

These are the new settings.
    [​IMG]

Nope. Windows8 in a PC with a secure-boot BIOS will only access the C: when booted to it.
    A second partition, with GNU+Linux will run fine, when booted to the PC and NOT with secure-boot enabled, but then the C: is not readable nor writable and rightly so.
    It is just an encrypted blob. I don't have installer disks, so I would rather just leave the drive be. I have other hard drives for use with GNU+Linux.

And besides, there is no 3d support when running a VM in hyper vizor.
    Nah, I have windows8, it came with the machine. I want to use it for windows applications, that is what MSWindows does.
    I like VMs just fine for made-for-MSWindows software. Works good. But NO 3d available.
    I think 3d can be hacked in a non-hypervisor VM, like virtualbox or vmware, but it is gltichy as hell. Unworkable.
    Never mind. WBFH is working not perfectly but I can play online.
    And X-Plane works PERFECTLY, so I am okay with a C:
    I only keep it because I already paid and don't want to toss the baby out with the bath water.
    My only issue with the wbfh was the instructions here, to remedy the crash to desktop issue is directing user to menu items that have been re-written.
    I solved those issues and am now in-game, in the arena.
    Seems fine except for a pull down menu that has to be treated with kid-gloves.

Was fun today. I haven't played in a while.
    I was red. Two guys were gold.
    I asked if they wanted to dance or do they want to carry on solo capping a field.
    So, they said, come, attack us, let's have fun.
    So I brought a snoopy and was called a boy, not a man.
    And I shot them both down, then damaged one and then my heart was fibrillating, so I had to have a break.
    So, I just flew around and watched them and chatted while my heart DE-fibrilated.....
    Guy said, Why don't you fly a man's plane.
    I was very polite.
    those guys are good, but both of them underestimated me. I am biles and I love snoopy.
    Later, we all joined up with ALW in TA and they were very good.
    And aware that you should never take a snoopy for granted, as they have guns and a man thinking and aiming and flying too. Not all snoopy fliers are wet behind the ears........
    I flew a P-40 in the TA and a P-38L too did alright. Had to have another break though.
    I got a bit of my confidence back.
    I have to learn to relax, or my gaming will kill me dead.

[I wasn't fibrillating, haha, that was a joke... but I do not want to push my luck, so I take some breaks]

It was fun, as all for of us were gentlemen, there were times a opponent would get behind me and not fire. And I did same thing.
    We had a ball

ALW: You are a champ.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  4. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

AND TOO, Mac:
    I have made this windows 8 into very very similar to windows7
    Start menu and that thing on the bottom and do not need to ever look at the stupid part of the GUI, which hides.
    Seems pretty light and responsive.
    If I was forced to use the gui that came with it, I would reformat.
    But MS has been told in courts to make unhinge the DE.
    Or maybe they just did to be nice [oh sure...] the desktop is accessible to software.... so I got a menu that is so nice, called
    Classic Start Menu. That metro thing is in limbo, it didn't go away, but is pretty minimal. I don't even notice it.
    I hate this much less than I did when I got it home.
    Been almost two weeks.
    I have two other PCs, one fedora 18 and one Mint 14 cinnamon.
    :@popcorn:

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  5. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I've read that Windows 8 does a better job of allocating resources to applications and that as a result, performance may be noticeably better than on Windows 7. Have you found that to be true, hezey?

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Seems to be faster than MSWindows7. And seems to be more stable too.
    Over a month, not a single program stopped working. Flash is always a cunt, so I kind of don't blame Win for making Firefox puke. It is Adobe doing that.
    X-Plane is the only reason the MSWindows is turned on. Once I get a Monster Radeon video card [native GNU+Linux drivers] I see no reason to keep the MSWindows8, but might just leave it on that hard drive and tuck the hard drive away, in a cupboard or something, becuase I did pay for MSWindows via The MSTax and those cunts + ASUS do not provide a installer DVD. I think Microsoft are weasels and they can take a long hard suck on my ass.
    Once the Radeon card arrives in my house, I will again live in a MSWindows-free home.
    Right now, MS is on 1/3 of my PCs, in September I will be back to normal.

7. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

The borkage of MSWindows 8 is now, uh, borked.
    The DDed backup and the source HDD are presenting the same giberish error and then halting.
    So, I did dd if=/dev/zero........
    on both of em.
    I will buy a installer dvd some day, when I find a good price, but am in no hurry, as a NVididia graphics card is fast approaching and it will make X-Plane very happy on a GNU+Linux box.
    I can hardly wait, October I think.

8. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

UPDATE!!!!!!
    [bump]
    Win 8.1 got in end of may.
    a second GForce card.
    A third monitor.
    A Fast As Hell SSD, not huge but fast as hell.
    Dedicated level 2 cache on a EIDE HDD.
    22 GB or RAM.
    Level 1 cache [whatever size I need at the time]
    This windows is really nice, I think it is the best MSWindows I have used.
    Mallware excepted, not accepted, excepted.
    I hate mallware and like everyone have to wear a fucking condom, everywhere in MS world.
    X-PLane works like a champ in this MSWindows almost-a-gamer rig.
    It is almost three months I have used it almost exclusively.
    I can't play Air Combat simulation anymore, I don't want to have a heart attack while playing computer games, I want a heart attack while I am [deleted] all over a prostitute, sure, but not while I am playing AC flight sims. I like [deleted] far more than gaming now-a-days.
    Lust for life.

9. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Have windows 10 on one hard drive and Manjaro [GNU/Linux] with XFCE GUI front end on another
    X-Plane works in MSWindwos 10 and in GNU/Linux, IF you know how to read instructions, or want to.
    Mac, don't even think about it, Manjaro Linux is based on Arch Linux, it is cutting edge, and sometimes unstable [I have heard].
    You should stick with Ms Windows, because if you run off to Linux, you will probably regret it.
    I remember you once told me you used to know about computers and stuff. But you are now 50, and I bet you don't anymore.
    Does your [deleted] still work?
    Never mind computer games