who is the best guitar player?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by ronin, Nov 22, 2002.

1. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

Just one name
    the great one
    "PACO DE LUCIA"

2. Apocalyps

Apocalyps Well-Known Member

Just out of the top of my head : Carlos Santa :) timeless...

greetz

3. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

no,no,no.. Mark Knopfler!

4. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Don't read this: There are some bad naughty words (Oooh. Oooh! STOP it! Oooh!)

[deleted by biles]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2002
  5. Buzz-403

Buzz-403 Well-Known Member

To Ronin

There are so many to choose from Ronin...

A few great Canadian players include:

Lenny Breau, Liona Boyd, Kim Mitchell, Bruce Cockburn, Rik Emmet, Alex lifeson, Collin James

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Larry Carleton, Leo Kotke, lee Ritenour, Tommy Tedesco, Al DiMeola, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Howard Roberts, Django, Reinhardt, Wes Montgomery, Chet Atkins, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Eric Clapton, Albert Collins, the Gypsy Kings, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Frank Gambale, Vinnie Moore, Mark knopfler...damn so many more........

Anyhow, what's great is that these players all have a particular style to call their own. It's easy to tell the diference between Eric Clapton's smooth blues rhythym/licks, and Eddie Van Halen's patented 'brown' sound. What makes one better than the other? I suppose personal preference. However there is a single player that really brought the 'guitar hero' to the forefront. He's the guy that made so many people want to pick up a guitar and play. An innovator, and a man before his time.

I'm not saying he's my favorite,I have many....but he lead the way..and made guitar playing legendary. That guy?.....Jimi Hendrix.... :super:

6. Tabano

Tabano Active Member

My favs are:
    Jimi Hendrix :@prayer:
    Paco de Lucía
    Carlos Santana
    Eric Clapton
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Slash
    Kirk Hammet
    Angus Young

but hell, there's sooooo many and soooo good thats a prett difficult choice. :super:

Bye,
    Tabano
    Jagdgeschwader 52

7. beerme

beerme Well-Known Member

Bob Shepherd!!!
    :cheers:

8. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Jade Puget :D

ahhh the sweet sounds of a Les Paul....

9. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Lou Reed playing guitar... love it.
    Maybe not technically so great. But very original, musical and best sounds.

[​IMG]

Best use of guitar I ever heard.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2002
  10. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

oh come on now ron, you know who it is........it's

me ofcoarse ;-), and you, and jacobe also :)

al dimeola, stevie ray vaugh, brian may, joe walsh,robin trower,

i do like what ledge suggested. rick emmitt, kim mitchel, plus youcan add these ones also. malmsteen,angus young,vandenburg,the guys from scorpions(rudy schenker,mathis jabs)jimmy page,eric clapton (with cream when he was best)jeff beck,jesse cook,edgar winter,the guys from allman brothers band, zztop,eddie van halen,eric johnson,kk downing and glen tipton,joe perry,buddy guy,bb king,the guitarist from the band yes, steve vie, etc etc etc. so many, but yes different styles all excellent in the element.

good thread bro :)

11. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

Nice, nice, It is great pleasure for me to se that we have here lots of guitar players and guitar sound lovers. Big WTG to all of you. Here are mentioned many famous and les famous guitar players, some of them I never herd of ( shame on me ) but some of you
    just refreshed my memory about those ones that i almost forgot and thanx for that.
    Well...why Paco hmm...? If you are guitar player by your self and if you have been playin' at least 10 years you have to know hwo is Paco and why he is the best one. Ok, he is originaly flamenco / fandango player but there was period in his life when he was playin with John 'Mclaughlin' and 'Al DiMeola' - talkin' in style it's
    mix of those two above mentioned flamenco/fandango with Jazz and Rock. Simply amaizing combinaion. And if you are in doubth about his skills just download somewhere from the net those two songs or ask me and I will send you mp3 of them.
    "Rio Ancho" and
    "Entre Dos Aquas"

@ Apocalyps:
    yes man you are completely right about "Carlos Santana", he is really timeless. I remember days, back in time lets say some 16 years ago I was playin his songs ( Europe, Samba pati, OyeKomova.... ) in restaurants watching youngs dancing and enjouing in them equaly like nowadays. Yes man he is really good with his easy recognizable guitar cryin' sound.

@ beryl:
    sory bud but I will be more than pleased if you recomend me some of his best, I would really like to listen his style.

@ biles:
    :) canadian beer mate. You are right, sometimes you can hear on the middle of the street Gipsy guy how he simply eats guitar... and that hapens to me once. I was more than touched
    deeply in my hart listening his virtuositys asking my self why on the street???, he is so exelent player...!
    As for Otmar Lieber, not bad, but for me he is so contradictory from Paco. And sometimes listening him I have feelings like he is soldier tryin to do his best... so no freedom, no improvisation,
    like Paco doin'. Paco never play same song twice at same way, its always adding and cutting and endless improvisation and thats why for me he is the best one. Have to admit I discovered Ottmar
    3 or 4 years ago.

@ Buzz-403
    I do not know any of those Canadian players you mentioned in frst row starting with Lenny.... But I am 100% positiv you miss the one guy I was waching/listenig over the Tv couple years ago.
    And man he was fast and origina. Tho he was playin a bit with tunes so he was a bit diverting to pchyodelic music but for me he was good. Damit can remember his name but both of 'em sunds short. Anybody here to enlighten me that will be great.
    As for Al DiMeola, man he was fast, don't know now. Django Reinhardt, the guy that was playin' guitar with only three fingers cozz he was wounded in fire in his house if I can remember right now. He is good also but slow, still I am enjoyin his music whenever I listen him. BB King :) should I say something about him... I guess no, simply he is great.
    Two tumbs up for Eric Clapton, don't know why I like one of his best (from early days) song 'Cocain' ;)
    Jimi Hendrix, rest in peace, he was my idol while, while back in time and place... used to cover all wals of my room with his posters, and my parents went crazy. One of the best ones but nowadays can't listen him to much, one two songs and thats it.

@ illo
    sorry bro you hit the one that i really ( no ofece :) ) dislike ( talking about style ) and virtuosity. No way to melancholic for me, slow... I have heard he changed complete blod in his body several times cozz of drugs is that true?

@ bizerk
    :) you do not know how close you are to true bro saying "me ofcoarse..." ;) And you are right about all those you are mentioned there, i admire almost all of them.
    I will just repeat one more name. He is not so much virtuous I will rather say he is more comercial player but damit I like to listen his music from time to time. His name is Jessy Cook.

I would like to have all of ya recomend the best song from all of above mentioned guitar players so we can listen/enjoy/judge by our selfs.

thx
    And on the end like buzz said..... ' "damn so many more... ;)
    but then again.... any more??? :)

12. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

I can only second that, nothing's as good as hearing "Just a perfect day" when the day is just... perfect... :cool:

greetze, Zembla

13. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

+steve vai
    +...
    :)

14. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

@ Zembla and illo

Do you guys know where i can download some of Lou Reed music in mp3?
    Just curious to listen that Sangria song "Just a perfect day".

thx

15. Zembla JG13

I could send it to you ;) :D

greetze, Zembla

16. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

I will be more than delighted to have it in my email box.
    ps. try to listen Rio Ancho or Entres dos Aquas from Paco. :)

17. Zembla JG13

if I only knew the adress of the e-mail? you know what, contact me by ICQ, it's easier :) I'm 44529009

greetze, Zembla

18. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

Here is my email:
    roonniinn@yahoo.com
    I guess i can trust ya on clean atchments :shuffle:

...and sorray mate no ICQ here.

19. Zembla JG13

Sure, what was it again I have to send? Red alert? Melissa? Oh sorry, forgot, Lou Reed, that's the one ;)

greetze, Zembla

20. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

Melissa lol I ate em for the brekfirst lol, and you know i fly only
    for red side I no fear Red alert lol.