Just curious

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by klaf, Dec 9, 2002.

1. klaf

klaf Member

How come in WB planes never brake down?You are certain that every part of your machine will work properly unless you damage it or have it damaged.Moreover every single bomb,shell,rocket is sure to explode when hitting the target.A few defects occuring from time to time would make each sortie more dramatic(or frustrating?).
    Thx for any additions

2. gunn-r

gunn-r Well-Known Member

Frustrating would it be :)

If you model production/maintenance faults it may be realistic, but it sure will be annoying as hell if all of a sudden a plane you just took off in disintegrated in midar :)

3. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

What I'd like to see here and what would be propably very easy to code into server are gun jams when fired under high G's or at too high altitude. Almost all 20mm cannons and also early .50cal M2 HMG tended to jam when fire under G's or freezed at high altitudes. 37mm would jam almost for sure when fired while flying otherwise that straight and level...

4. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

yes, P39's M4 37mm gun was jamming very often. After 4-5 shoots it was almost sure that gun will not fire next round :)

But i'm not so sure that each bomb explodes hitting targets. Few times my bombs dropped from Zeke didn't destroyed targets when hitting it directly (50kg on ack and 250 on hangar)

5. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

50kg must be very on top of ack. 250kg does not kill hangar, unless from high-level buff dropped from 6+km.

about mechanical failures: imho its not a good idea - it would be so annoying (didnt say frustrating, but that too). i play a game to get randomly-generated breakdowns? i play a game for aircombat. if im to want that sort of realism, i would like to have virtual mechanics whom i can punch when i land back too. ;)

6. dankes

dankes Well-Known Member

@stec & beryl

You guys kinda confused by British&French pilot claims. 39Q's M4 jammed much rarely according to soviem cobra pilot's testimonies

7. Pinky

Pinky Active Member

One more....?

It's just simulation after all, and simulation is what it is, not reality for 100%.
    But I have manged to rip of my wings several times and believe this was without any damage. Going high speed in Spit horizontal, rolling inverted and push the nose up when inverted. The wings did not stand the load several times for me to learn this is not the way to go :super:
    I was also thinking that feature that would simulate engine cracking due to sudden cooling in Boom when pilot decrease thortle to avoid compression. This has been on some planes fixed with some kind of jalousies what I understood (not an expert in these matters, you see :shuffle: ) that when closed avoided air cooling during the boom phase to some extend and reduced the risk of crack.... This made me believe that using the B&Z tactics would certainly be more realistic, if you can not just dive from whatever altitude and when it becomes shaky, take the throtle down.
    I'm afraid this is also imposible to have in WB, since I haven't seen any control that could be used to shut the air flow in cooling system.

8. klaf

klaf Member

Thx for replies.I guess i should have put it more precise.I agree that defects of vital parts of the airplane won't make the game more attractive.It's not my intention to have it all real-playability is the most important.Here are examples of malfunctions to show what's on my mind:
    -radio stops working just as your squad mate has con on his six or when there is li/ju about to capture the field
    -bomb gets stuck in the bomb bay,would you risk flying all the way back with an armed bomb on the deck?
    -the indicator doesn't show the exact altitude/amount of fuel/g-force...or compass doesn't show the right direction(a true gps map in WB spoils the fun :) )

Again curious about your opinions.
    sry for my pre-intermiediate english ;)

9. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

I'm definitely against random failures but some ideas may look interesting and propably wouldn't be hard to implement to FH:
    - cannons and HMG's jamming when fired under high G
    - bombs and rockets jamming in racks during high G maneuvers
    - wings falling off when aircraft made a high -G maneuver with bombs under wings. (afair especially spits couldn't do any aerobatics with bombs under wings). The heavier the payload is under wings, the less G is needed to rip the wings off.

And also another changes to damage model:
    - possibility to wound pilot like it was on itmo's java FH. After being wounded pilot had only 5 minutes to land before he bled to death. Also if possible to code, blackout and redout could appear much earlier when wounded.
    - after hit in cockpit area several random instruments would stop working from damage. But I'm afraid this is FE stuff.
    - hits in bombs and rockets carried by aicraft cause them to explode.

10. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

>>- possibility to wound pilot like it was on itmo's java FH. After being wounded pilot had only 5 minutes to land before he bled to death. Also if possible to code, blackout and redout could appear much earlier when wounded.

Think it's possible nad it's good idea

>>- after hit in cockpit area several random instruments would stop working from damage.

Holes in instruments and "windows" (dunno how's "wiatrochron"in english,windscreen?) like in "1942 PAW" would be great!

11. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

hmmm i have had no effect when dropping bombs on hangars with a direct hit. pretty silly really. but what ya gonna do. i have had my f4f guns jam many times. and not from taking hits from a con. turn to hard the g's would cause it. and yes it was a fact of life in WWII that they did suffer this problem. later war planes it was better, but never completely fixed. most annoying indeed. if i recall correctly itwas determined how theguns were set up in the wing. and the feeding of ammo. someguns were laid set up on thier sides. but when they were set up in an upright position was better.

12. ppedott_vibora

ppedott_vibora Well-Known Member

Hi Klaf!

In my early times at WBFH (circa aug-2001), It was very common (to me at least), when at take off, just at reach a couple hundred meters, get this msg:

-HOST: Unexpected engine damage
    (or failure, or malfunction... cant recall)

Anyway: engine stops, start a black smoke and you will be lucky if you can land at field...
    As gun-r said: Frustrating would it be ...
    cya! :kruto: