Otto parameters

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -exec-, Dec 11, 2002.

1. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have been doing a bit of research on otto, and found a file in the warbirds folder called "newotto.txt", which I think everybody who hasn't read it, should do so.

It seems a lot of ppl don't know the way the settings work, at least not properly, so I am also going to include them here.

OTTO_ACCURACY (1 - 10) - A general accuracy setting, this affects the otto's accuracy, reaction time and tracking rates.

OTTO_RANGE (1 - 12 (x 100yds)) - Determines the range at which the otto will commence firing. As different weapons have different exit velocities, this range is adjusted slightly per weapon. Note that although otto range can be extended to D12, the chances for even the highest accuracy level otto of achieving hits are significant only for ranges D8 and under.

OTTO_BURSTON_BASE (0.5 - 4.0 (secs)) - This parameter helps determine the length of a burst. It is divided by the target distance so the burst length will increase as the target gets nearer. Increasing this value increases the volume of fire put out by the otto, at the cost of more ammunition expended.

OTTO_BURSTON_MAX (0.5 - 4.0 (secs)) - This works with the parameter above in determining burst length. It is multiplied by a hit ratio, so the effect is that the otto will increase burst time as more hits are achieved. Increasing this value increases the chances of inflicting damage on targets, again at the cost of more ammunition expended.

OTTO_BURSTOFF_BASE (0.5 - 4.0 (secs)) - This determines the length of time the otto pauses in between bursts. It is proportional to the target distance, so that the pause in between bursts will decrease as the target gets nearer. Increasing this value will produce longer pauses between bursts.

OTTO_RETARGET_TIME (0.0 - 10.0 (secs)) - This determines the frequency at which the otto will look for new targets. The value is the time in between new target evaluation, so, for example, setting this value to 5.0 will mean the otto will wait 5 seconds between each search for targets.

The burst settings, which seem to be a common topic of debate, as far as I understand have little function when the con is up close and personal. From the descriptions given above and my own experience; the closer the con gets, the longer the bursts get, to the point of continuous fire. And if otto is getting hits on the con, the increase in burst length is even more evident.

This would most likely be the reason for slashing passes on buffs being so deadly for the fighter. The closer you get, the more hits you are going to get. Hmmm...just like IRL, funny that.

Note: these are the settings which IEN created, and I can not speak as to whether they are still the same under FHL, but if so, I hope it helps to clear up some of the mystery for those who weren't sure.

Incidentaly, there are other settings in this file which allow for changes from the host (probably not valid for freehost).

Regards, Oz

2. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

Well to me it still seems that the TBF is king of the airways.

I much preferred the previous setting where AC was decided by type of plane, it seems to work and by keeping that and just fixing the .rt command to say 1 or 2 would have solved the problems (imho).

Malino

3. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

:cheers:
    only if they are limited, because (B- 0, B+ 4, B++ 4) is unacceptable ;)

4. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

rt is delay for opening fire.

so its kind of gunner reaction time.

5. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

Yep, RT is not just time between targets, but scan interval in general, thus it also affects how quickly even a single target is picked up once it enters a given gun station's scan area. It's the only truly significant setting.

Burst settings sound more important than they actually are. Otto pretty much sits on the trigger once it starts getting hits (read: up close) regardless of what the settings are.

AC affects how much randomness is added to the computed elevation and azimuth to the target. At AC10 there's no randomness, Otto always fires at the computed aimpoint (which is not necessarily an accurate aimpoint, as it doesn't properly lead the target) - at AC1 there's a great deal of randomness. Think of it as an additional dispersion added on top of the weapon's natural dispersion setting. However, this too makes it sound more important than it really is, Otto will still hardly ever hit past D4, because the base aimpoint is off. More randomness can actually make it more likely to hit (albeit with very few rounds), since it sprays over a wider cone. Within D4 the AC (and gun mount) dispersion is too small to matter.

6. -nicae-

those settings are unacceptable still

7. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Sorry, but I have to totally disagree with that.

Slash attacks were considered safest form of attack by LW pilots.

Also you can try this by gunning yourself. Con diving from high 11 in curve is next to impossible to hit.

AH has human gunners, its very evident there. Attack from 6 of b17 and you will be shot down often at 500yard range, ive been killed even at 1000yards.

However I havent been killed single time while doing clean diving attack from front and above rollercoasting to buffs high 10-11 shooting long burst for buff to fly through. Closer you pass the safer you will be.

8. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Here something i think would be ok.

OTTO_ACCURACY (1 - 10).

OTTO_RANGE (1 - 12 (x 100yds))
    adjustable.
    default d10.

OTTO_BURSTON_BASE (0.5 - 4.0 (secs))

OTTO_BURSTON_MAX (0.5 - 4.0 (secs))

OTTO_BURSTOFF_BASE (0.5 - 4.0 (secs))

OTTO_RETARGET_TIME (0.0 - 10.0 (secs))
    2 or 3

9. --u-p-

--u-p- Well-Known Member

Убил бы за такое. :mad:
    Хоть бы предупредили мля. :dark:
    ас 6 - от самолета ужо не зависит? :mad:
    range - нужно оставить для регулировки, для Ил2 и Б17 они нужны разные, если фитеры могут стрелять с д10, почему не могут отто?
    rt 0,2
    b+ 3
    b++ 3
    b- 0.5

10. -nicae-

pls try english, even if rudimentary

11. -kum--

-kum-- Well-Known Member

АС-8

controlled by user

controlled by user