Do you use TRIMERS ?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by miixch, Dec 16, 2002.

1. miixch

miixch Well-Known Member

Hi guys, do you use trimers ?
    If yes, in what situation and what for ?
    I use trimers rarely, only in fast dive to correct the flightpath if my plane doesn't response well for my stick.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2002
  2. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

In same situation, but usually only elevator trim (don't even know the keys for the others).

3. pietas

pietas Well-Known Member

often, while diving jabo , without elev, and before engage combat and in combat, simetimes while pulling up (to evade crash :p ), and while pursue

4. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

only when i lose control of plane - but i tend to avoid that anyway :cool:

5. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Most of the time during dogfight, always while climbing/diving.

6. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Not at the moment.

7. miixch

miixch Well-Known Member

... pls tell us more about it.

8. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Hmm what to tell? I do some tweaking to keep aircraft flying straight and well balanced. You conserve a little more E this way IMO. I think I'm doing it subconciously now so can't tell much more.

9. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    I got my hat set up for elevator and aeleron trim. I adjust trim constantly and it is an unconsious action, similar to Stec's way.

10. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Trims? what are trims? :confused:

11. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

CC that stec. I do keep working on trims all the time too.

These "details" makes big difference on performance, also flying as coordinated (ball in center) as possible and not using useless moves on the stick nor hard moves also helps to save up some energy.

Some may think its too little difference that doesnt matter. But then i remember that 1 million of dollars is not 1 million if you take away just one cent.
    So little, very little things makes a BIG difference. ;)

ps2: i cant remember exatly wich trims 109s didnt have and im too lazy to search, so i think using it in 109 is kinda cheating. :D

12. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    I dunno about later 109s....

But no rudder trim tabs

13. Pinky

Pinky Active Member

Oh yes, trimmin often.
    During dogfight usually elevator trims, on dive ,dive chase both trims.
    On climb I usually use angle trim for a little while, then turn it off.

Pinky

14. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

Hi,

I use trimmers all the time.

First in pre-takeoff, I have my procedures for each plane (learned by experience). Before I throttle up I trim nose down, aileron right (in most planes) and rudder right - the roll and take-off look like in RL then instead of struggling with untrimmed aircraft on the runway.

Then I trim in climb - mainly rudder and ailerons because I dont like my ball (turn indicator) to be out of tune with my flight vector (it must be perfectly centered all the time)

When airspeed increases, I release my initial trim to the right gradually as less and less compensation in controlls is needed.

In combat I also trim but this is done rather intuitively as I watch my ATI and the ball.

Salute!
    Daedal

15. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

I have aileron and elevator trim on one of my stick's hats, and rudder trim on one of my throttle controls. I don't often touch the rudder trim aside from takeoff, but the aileron I use frequently and the elevator trim I use constantly. Anymore it's an unconscious habit...go to dive, put in some trim. Go to climb, put in some trim. Start a long bank or change throttle, add some aileron trim to hold it.

Being trimmed up means you can let the stick go neutral and the airplane will stay in its current attitude, which is a very useful thing, as it helps prevent overcontrolling.

16. Wojtus

Wojtus Well-Known Member

Hi trimmers :)
    You talk about turn coordination. Anybody knows why it's so f***ed up in WB? I used to fly with a 2d joystick and I found auto-coordination quite useful. Now I have 3d stick and WB still coordinates turns for me, that's really stupid.

The only way to have a turn miscoordinated is to have a roll angle > 30 and non-neutral pitch. I think the rudder-elevator exchange is in effect then, but nevertheless it has nothing to do with real aerodynamics... :(

Please, say the magic switch that will shot off this 'feature'...

17. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

There is no auto-coordination in WB. You can fly uncoordinated turns if you want. Maybe you are trying to fly uncoordinated at high speed? It's barely possible. The higher the airspeed the less rudder action is needed because the plane coordinates itself.

Salute!
    Daedal

18. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

there are tricks and tips subforum, where all these questions were investigated a couple years ago. some simple questions were concerned just as plain tutorial materials, some as discussions.

what'dya think of these hidden (under russian language) resources? create similar, or translate? i don't know.

19. Cicero

Cicero FH Designer

I use elevator trimming up for turning and down for running. Sometimes in a dive I trim ailerons too. But never rudder.

Since I recovered abilities of trimming, I even can turn a 110 against a later Spit. :)

20. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

All the time.

In 109 I use it to suddenly gain angles after lag turning for while. Press vator trim until im at cons 6. Without trims 109 cant do that at speed.

Also I use trims in 109 to start escape dives with 0g. Then leveling out with trim at 850kmh.

In 190 I use trims much less. Only for making plane balanced for good gunnery.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2002