The Arch Way

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by hezzey, Mar 7, 2020.

1. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Arch is a way to install Linux.
    In the past there were lots of Linux Distros that were difficult to install - for some people.
    Among those Some People were ME.
    I wanted a Linux Box, but I did not want to Learn Linux The Arch Way.
    I am sick of that.
    Now-A-Days, there are enough Linuxes that some of them come with a workable OS ON THE DISK [USB stick/ DVD].
    That means Ya Have to put it on a USB stick - or a DVD. That can be difficult if ya Can't use three fingers at the same time on a KeyBoard AND QUICKLY.
    I have gotten away from Installing Linux Using The Arch Way.
    Now-a-days there are a tonne of distros rhat JUST WORK ON BOOTING-UP.
    Oh, if all goes right, that is like a Test Drive, TRY IT, if it works like that, LIVE, I twill work after it is installed.
    I said about Arch, on-top-Of-This.
    I use a Flavour Of Arch, called Manjaro OS or Manjaro Linux.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/XcUzdG3NYabTDSjA7
    Linux Distros, ALL of them, I think, each have aspects of themselves that DO need a bit of hacking skills. Ability to use Three Fingers at once, is a good example. Another is Telling It what kind of Video Card you have and too, what sort of Sound. WIFI? Oh come on, get out of here if you don't even know what that is [use the Ethernet, do ya know what that means?].
    Part of my happiness is that Most people [none that I know] don't knew how to power-on. After powering on, they have yet another Password [to unlock the encoded Hard Drive] and another [to unlock the User's Space]. After getting-in, then the user should know how to type Commands.
    Simple things and those simple things keep my Relatives from looking inside my PC.
    CIA and FBI?
    Those guys could do anything they want with my computer. I would bet a hundred bucks [but no relatives, I hate my relatives [except my mum]
    I suggest you try Manjaro Linux with XFCE Desktop Environment [it's chosen GUI] see the picture above.

2. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Give us another one!

Ouch, I posted it in the wrong thread.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  3. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

This is my favourite Linux Distro. A video. From Youtube.

4. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

It is simple [Simple doesn't mean easy. Ya have to know how to cut bait ALREADY]

5. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Hey Biles, I know you're curious about various distros. I'm using Opensuse, a very serious distro, on my everyday pc and a Puppy linux on a 32 bit machine I sometimes work on. This Puppy linux (I'm running the one based on Ubuntu, the other version is on Slackware) I'm running from a USB stick, because this machine is an old laptop I'm keeping hidden somewhere (like most people do), which is stripped down of the hdd, battery, wireless etc so I lose nothing if it's found and stolen. This Puppy linux is very fast and the feel is great, because the apps that come installed feel very basic and like 25 years ago, but have everything you need.

6. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I fail getting Lots Of Linuxes to work, or work right.
    For every one that doesn't work, or doesn't work right, there is another Linux that DOES. There are thousands of them. IF ya like to tinker with a PC, Linux is so varied, so busy. SO MANY OF THEM, that you likely will find one that Works For You.
    I said before, as above, to TRY A BOOTABLE USB or DVD,
    LIVE.

7. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I find Puppy Linux to be a Hacker's OS. That is not to say it is a BAD THING. Not at all. It is excellent.I like to carry a rescue USB stick with a Puppy Linux that is based on Slackware, it is 64 bits now. LOTS of the software available for it, FOR ME, Just Don't Work and I have no time to fart around [I think Puppy Linux is now, it's own world, sort of like ALL the flavours of Ubuntu have tended towards, and lots of other Linuxes. The Versions that are based on Ubuntu are [said to be] easier, or do they say SIMPLE?
    I cannot even get the sound to work [in the Puppys], there are too many choices offered, and too may things can, for me, go wrong.
    If I want a Just Works USB stick, I like Ubuntu Just fine. XUbuntu.
    Also Manjara.
    And Puppy!!! Is ideal Rescue-Remedy-OS
    FOR ME, I insist on a GUI in use, from the start, ON BOOT. I need a GUI. I can use a Terminal, IF I HAVE SOME STUFF TO COPY-PASTE into a terminal.
    I saw an elevator. IN the elevator were a bunch of buttons, you can press them.
    I saw a 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a # and a $
    WTF?
    If I go into an elevator I do NOT WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL.
    I already did that. Now I want to use what I have learned, and not have to learn a bunch more [I am getting old]. This is not NAY SAYING anyone!!!!
    If ya can use Linux, and not get stuck on it, then GREAT!!!!
    Puppy Linux?
    Is has a silly name, but it is not silly, not at all.

8. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

They're all simple, that's the greatest thing!
    I've tried the Slackware one but it didn't have the right dependencies for something I use regularly. It felt great tho, the kid loved it too.

9. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I think Puppy is fragmented. There are too many flavours of it that DON'T talk to family members. I know what that is. It is Open Source and it is GNUed and the user can do anything they want to it, it if FREE. Because of the freedom to install Linux on anywhere and on anything there is encouragement, among Linuxers to DO whatever you want with it, and that leads to some fragmentation among Linuxes [like one often does not talk to another, or have a fancy look, SMELL-O-VISION, New New New New].
    My Linux OS looks the same as everyone else's. BUT once you are in-in-in, then whatta ya gonna do?: Go back to school? Some people can't stand doing that. I understand.

10. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Vasco. I think OpenSuse is beautiful. There a couple COTCHAs for me.
    I get confused at the Setup Page. The instructions.
    I understand that technical Writing is very difficult to learn and to do.
    SO, no wonder a document can be confusing, when IF is written instead of OF.
    Simple doesn't mean easy.
    I think the flavours of Fedora are beautiful too and they also have some instructions that confuse me.
    That is just me.
    Sometimes I can hack-and-bang-round in a Linux that isn't working and make it work.
    BUT then, in a month, I forgot what I did and then I have to do that again?
    Hahaha.
    Nope.
    I move on [until the next time I am bored]. Some day, Calimaris is gonna rule. That is a simple GUI Installer.
    [simple doesn't mean easy. I bet it is hard work for a engineer to set it all up. I unsderstand and am willing to give another try in a few months]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  11. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I read that some linux users use HDDs that allow as many Primary Partions as a users wants. That means it is possible to install a LOT of Root Partitions, and run as many Linux OSes as I want to. SO, there are some Linuxes that are, for me, only for using when I need to use a certain software, I use other Linuxes when I want to use other types of software.
    For excamble, it took me two years to find out how to make X-Plane 9 work in a Puppy Linux.
    Finally I found there was some Shared Objected needed in. a .SO file.
    SO, I got that to work, and in a month or so, it stopped working, because the Puppy had changed, and the Magic Software I had found, had stopped working.
    Ubuntu Worked, out-of-the-box
    Lot's of Linux Distros out there.
    Now-a-days, I am so happy that Steam [and Proton] works. Is imperfect, yup!
    I bet in five years, all Linux OSes will use FlatPacks or Snaps. We do not have tiny little tiny HDDs anymore. We can use as many flavours of Linux that we want to, for each Software we want to use.

12. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Back in Late 90s I bought Suse Linux.
    I got Slackware .9999 or something. BIG book and about 20 floppy disks. Took me many months before I got it to a GUI display.
    I got SUSe with a DVD and a nice thick book.
    I also got through Linux For Dummies, by the For Dummies Crew.
    I cut my Linux Teeth using those three books and those two distros.
    Happy days are here today for Linux World because now a days, Linux is simple.
    There are a couple Linuxes that Just Work. SO, anyone can take a look at one,
    Wasn't that easy in .....94

mcgru- likes this.
  13. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

yeah, i saw on my friend's home computer something like Debian 0.9 ... console + emacs mainly, but sometines he started X to view some LaTeX renderings...

14. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

X org386 or something.
    In my first couple years of learning Linux or nix I knew that X would allow me to have little windows with text and I even looked at some vector graphics!
    It was amazing being able to have 25 little tiny terminals each with its own instance inside memory and protected and a cheapo Unix.
    Yeah it was not UNIX it was something else. I heard about a Finnish wizard how to invent something I really didn’t know how to use and still to be frank I don’t know all the things I could do with it.
    After I believe it was about year three high bought red hat.
    It was not bootable I still had to use to floppy disk and a CD.
    But it allowed me a straight forward a method to install a Linux operating system with GNome(1?). GUI FTW!
    I really was blind and I had started completely ignorant I had not even mastered DOS.
    When I discovered red heart and it’s GNome Desktop hi you I had stumbled into something actually useable by me.
    I had no idea what I wanted what I wanted it for what it was.
    I knew a few things.
    I did know GNU/Linux was free.
    I had high hopes in the 90s that GNU/Linux would hang in there and would not go the way of OS 2 or commodore OS etc etc etc etc.
    To me discovering the GNome DE Could be about the time I knew I could throw away Microsoft and it’s bum-buddies.
    I predict it will take time perhaps years or decades but open source software will take over the world of computing as there is no other way unless we nuke the planet and go extinct.
    Yeah that could happen and make all of our problems and ambitions go away

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    mcgru- likes this.
  15. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I know there is a difference between X server and an X system.
    I know that there are lots of little pieces had to come together before I could have a Root desktop with a GUI on power-on. I only had an idea of what I wanted.
    I did not know all the parts but I had read enough and I had hope and I believe that hope is coming true.
    Yes if I have had to stick with text baced single user desktop PCs I think I would have quit that learning and going on to home plumbing or maybe carpentry or some other joy
    At that time I was getting into my 30s (40s?) and my ability to learn anything I wanted and quickly and get drunk the night before exams at night school.... I knew those days were ending and they did in my 40s.
    In the new millennium I discovered that I was getting old and couldn’t learn quickly and was no longer eager to to ace exams. Or to read keywords quickly and learn just enough.
    I did never become an expert with computers I only became a eager user.
    About a decade ago the GUI approach (FTW!) to desktop computer was quickly being perfected (oh sure it is not it’s just much more useable than it was in my younger days)
    And now I think it is approaching parity
    OSS FTW!

16. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I have no idea what secure computing is or how to do it.
    I really do believe that open source software is the only way for the humans as a species to continue their technology without it turning against us.

17. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I like Linux in principle, but I'm always somewhat annoyed at the sheer amount of distros there are. IMO, this unnecessarily divides the community and causes the wheel to be reinvented hundreds of times, in lots of subtly incompatible fashions. If everyone and their dog didn't release a new distro every other week and instead agreed to keep improving maybe a handful of distros instead, Linux would long have taken over the desktop world, and no one would even remember what the hell Windows is.

18. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

There are too many flavours of Linux or me.
    About 10 years ago I became very comfortable creatingBootable Linux USB (Distros) sticks and also DVDs/CDs.
    Once I was good at getting the things in my hands then I was able to examine my PC while running each of those Linux Distros.
    About six years ago after trying hundreds of different flavours of Linux, I found one that suited and still suits my needs and wants.
    Imagine wishing to trim your hair and having to attend night school to learn carpentry so that you can get your hair cut!
    Or wishing to use your running shoes while walking and discovering that you don’t have any feet instead you have hooves and an extra knee on each leg.
    Linux has been like that for me for a long time.
    I just said above that I found my comfort zone. It was a lot of learning schooling watching YouTube reading hacking smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee getting distracted and then going back to suffer some more.
    It was a long hard endurance.
    I dread and imagine Linux OS that I have chosen To release its new latest on sale deal bargain new new new flavour.
    Sure I can still make a bootable puppy Linux.
    I doubt very much I can find any contentment at all using that thing as it is about as modern and usable as is a Timex watch from 1968. [Appears to be made by a Brilliant Hobbyist (IT WAS!!).

19. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I just dragged the word puppy out of my rear brain it means nothing most of Linux distro’s are like that.
    Which is different than the next one either a little bit or a lot and it gets frustrating for newbies (deleted the rest it was just ranting)

20. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

WHen a interested persons asks me, What Linux Should I Try?
    I usually say, Try Linux Mint - or a try Ubuntu, like XUbuntu or ZUbuntu. Ubuntu is a Linux King. It is simple to install and simple to use [not simple to administer, YMMV]. I suggest a new user try to run the bootable USB and IF IT RUNS, then enjoy it, don't make any changes, turn it off before bed-time, don't screw your PC up
    No matter advice from me, ALL NEWBIES go through the same [or similar] hell.

looseleaf likes this.