Plague!

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by -frog-, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

If there are any single ladies, please let me know ;)
    Organoleptic properties :) Man, I had never heard that word organoleptic until your post. If ever able to go to in-person social gatherings again, I'm going to ask a lady her thoughts about the Organoleptics of the food offerings :) I will be sure to give correct academic citations...

2. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

I'd offer you a .22 rifle to handle the squirrels, but the lunatic shooter in Novy Scotia probably has caused all kinds of havoc in Canada (you are on the other coast, IIRC). But for the record, squirrels do offer nutrition when food is in short supply.

3. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Here "organoleptic" is an usual word on the news, in the reports of the state agencies involved in checking the quality of food.

4. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

First, you would have to pass three tests. ;)

5. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of this Polish TV show:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81221644

The production quality is amazing. I watched it all in the original Polish with subtitles, not silly English translation version.

Also watching:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Method_(TV_series)

Paulina Andreeva is amazing (the stuff of dreams ;)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  6. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Three tests? This sounds like a biblical, Old Testament kind of challenge :) Anyway, I would probably fail all kinds of tests.

7. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I was thinking of the common variety of fairy tales...

8. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I'll check it out. I thing frog said something about it too.
    Are the English subs that bad?

9. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

I sure do love them squirrels. makes a good soup, yep, LOL

10. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Subs are OK, the voiceover is not.

11. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

:eek: YOU BASTARD!! As if Frosch-Schnitzel wasn't bad enough!

12. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

The promotional video for the Rojst series... has little to do with the series, but features one of the great voices of current Poland singing one of the anthems of early 1980s:

13. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

14. alburl2014

alburl2014 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  15. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

There are sad news too.
    Today, on 30th of April Colonel Mieczysław Stachiewicz, one of the few surviving Polish WWII RAF pilots, passed away.
    Soldier of the September 1939 campaign, he then escaped internee camp in Romania to join Polish Army in France in early 1940.
    After the collapse of France he evacuated to Britain, where he was referred to pilot school, learning to pilot the Vickers Wellington.
    He flew a total of 33 sorties over Germany and Italy with the 301st Polish RAF Sq.

After that he finished a course of study in architecture (Liverpool) and remained in Britain.

3 weeks ago he contracted CoViD-19, while being hospitalized in London (for unrelated causes).
    2 weeks ago the Polish Embassy wrote he was recovering well.

RIP

16. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

So now every precaution seems to be gone. Most of the european govts gave in as the number of cases started to fall and business pressure became bigger. My govt did so too. And many people are crowding again, most of them without masks. I expect that we, those still wearing them and keeping to a huge distance from the others (over 2 metres!) will soon become a sort of sect. I wonder about the names we'll be given. What will be our social status? Jokes aside, I'm as serious as ever about protection. Keeping telling my kid, who has restarted sporting activity, to keep his mask on all the time and to keep distance from the others. Fortunately, sailing means there's some distance between them.
    But I wonder how school will be in September. The classes here are overcrowded (30+ kids). The schools' hallways too, they are communist relics, very poorly designed (think of chicken industrial farming).
    And people seem to have gotten accustomed to covid deaths in the media. Long live social darwinism! (coughs)

17. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Yeah, I suspect we'll be looking at another wave of infections before long, which I fear will result in more drastic measures than the first time around. I hope I'm wrong, though.

18. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

They've partially reopened the schools back here (only care, not actual classes) and the younger kids (grades 1-4) are gradually coming back in.
    We did not let our daughter participate in this madness.
    The classes here are significantly smaller (still - there are 22 pupils in my daughter's class).
    She's allowed to play with our next door neighbors (they have two daughters of her age) again though.

They've locked everything down with less than 100 cases a day, and they're reopening almost everything with 300-400 cases a day.
    It's not much for a 37-million country, but I still think it's playing with matches, next to a gas tank.

The economy went bust, but not many have noticed that, yet.

After 2 months I've reopened my business office in midtown, but I no longer get there by the trolleybus, I drive.
    Parking at the office building, where I rent the premises, was always pain in the ass (there are no designated places, and every lessee has the right to park - I rent a single room, and have one car, next to me there's a notary's office renting 4 rooms, and only 2 people have cars, but there were also 3 land surveyor companies... 3 guys each, packed in tiny rooms, 4 cars each - every guy had one, plus a company ATV to get where they need to be). Now I can park at 11 AM (previously the parking was packed by 9 AM)... and there'll be several spaces to choose from. The catering company went bust. The auditor company went bust. One of the land surveyor companies went bust. The employment agency that used to hire people for job sites in Germany and Norway is on a shoe string budget, and they fear they'll loose it.

19. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

A romanian who lived in the 19th century wrote in his memoires about what followed the years of plague, and it was a very intense weddings time. Everyone wanted to party after the tragedy and isolation.
    I see the same now, most of the youngsters are out, partying and the popular beaches are crowded.
    So it will probably come back, everything.
    I think that a lot of people were expecting something different, some huge nice change in how society works, after all this. I doubt that will happen here.

20. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

It was Corpus Domini yesterday (since it's already past midnight here).
    Huge crowds gathered at processions, some 50% of them wore masks.
    We're currently the second largest source of infections (with only Sweden topping us in this regard) in Europe today.
    But everyone thinks that, since the govt has lifted most of the restrictions, they can fuck it all.

I was in a shopping centre on Wednesday evening.
    You're still supposed to wear face masks while shopping there.
    I went there with my mother (68, suffering from COPD) wearing a mask, like most of others (even though the AC was off and the temperature was high).
    And there were also policemen trying to enforce that mask-wearing principle... to no avail. Saw a family of four (parents in their 30s, and two children) answering them, that they had no masks at hand and they were exercising their right to assembly (sic!). Can the people get any less sane than that?

Religious bigots and flat-earhers is, what is going to kill us.

Plus our government.
    There was an issue with Silesia and the coal mines there, going on for two weeks or so.
    Over 7 thousand cases.
    They closed 12 mines and told everyone else to continue "business as usual".
    That 12 mines they've closed accounted for 500 of the 7 thousand cases (but they were the least profitable ones).
    They still keep the 3 mines that account for the remaining 6.5 thousand open.
    That's the "policy" of our government.