Did ya Install-and-get-working the NEW MS-Windows?

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by hezzey, Jul 2, 2021.

1. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  2. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I'm still using opensuse linux. Been using it for a lot of years now.
    My offspring uses the same distro and somehow I managed to instill in him the same opensource community ideology.
    Milady's PC has both ubuntu and some barely usable version of windows. Sometimes we have small quarrels, when she thinks she can't do certain things on linux.

3. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Once you get the SDL Trados working on Linux, you've got my vote too mate.

There are things that can't be done without Windows, believe me.
    Of course, I could run SDL Trados on a Linux VM... but what's the point?

Even with my 4-generations (7th Gen) old i7 machine I wouldn't get the performance, I can expect from my very old, (1st gen) i5 machine running Windoofs.

So: I do believe I can't do my business using Linux, doc, can you help me please?

(same applied to QuarkxPress in early 200X - you could do a lot, using e.g. PageMaker and a PC... but once you got your work to the printing press - they were all running MACs with Quark.
    Industry standard.

4. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

PROTECT your DATA.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  5. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I get you, it is frustrating not to be able to use your favorite software on linux. All those who switch to linux after windows come to this.

It is usually solved by asking oneself the question "Can I do without this specific product? Can I use an alternative software (sometimes lacking bells and whistles)?". Fortunately, every time I found an even better alternative on linux, tho sometimes it meant radically changing the way I worked.
    I started using command line for many small tasks (like extracting pages from a pdf for example), although there are GUI tools for that on linux.

I think it's harder when one has employees, but there are big organisations in Europe that switched to linux and opensource (ministries, big city halls etc).
    I guess some buy software customisation services for that. But it's doable and I guess it's a lot cheaper than buying microsoft software.

6. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

2 x No. (period)
    There's no alternative to the crappy SDL software, and it has (somehow) become the "golden standard" of the industry.
    Of course there are other CAT tools there, some (e.g. MateCAT even allow you to work online, via a browser), but large customers dislike them.
    SDL's tool has always been crap, but at least now it's more affordable now (the single-seat license went well below 1000 Euro already 3 or 4 years ago, but add some dictionaries to it, and you'll exceed that bill).
    So why use it?
    Cause everyone else does.
    And that's the main issue with it.

7. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I will be teaching a class soon. It would be really cool if you guys could "drop in" and give a European perspective on Linux. Really, it would be cool if a lot of the WBFree folks could drop in and contribute, but I don't want to lose my job. Soon I'll be a pensioner...

8. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  9. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Cool, Uncles. What kind of class?

10. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

Most of it is my version of *nix basic commands. But we do look at submitting jobs to big compute clusters, etc. Pretty basic stuff and most students seem bored, because they really only care about their own work necessary to get their degrees. Well, that's understandable ;) They go into labs and follow exactly what their predecessors did. They inherit old code and processes. They are not unintelligent, but they they are boringly pragmatic.

11. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Are they university students?
    I think one of the most inspiring things a professor can do is to go for drinks with their students. :D

Legal drinking age here is 18, so by the time one goes to the university they're legal drinkers.