DON'T install GNU/Linux!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by hezzey, Dec 26, 2021.

1. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

That is my advice to anyone who is On The Other Path.
    Just don't.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  2. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

IF you are about to type JUST USE MINT - or UBUNTU than just put that into a can or something okay

3. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

EVEN a LITTLE USB with some sort of Minimal STARTS AND WORKS thumb drive is NOT suitable to recommend. There is a good chance a Newbie will BORK his box. JUST by touchin' the keyboard. DON'T. JUST DON'T!!!
    If you are a expert just ignore this, okay? MOST people are not experts [I am*, sort of]]

* I Was almost-expert. I am not stupid. [Now I use Arch!!!! (Now I am stuck...)
    I am, though, competent [I can read, and most people cannot]

4. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I have some tricks.
    1st advice is find a old used second-hand PC. And do NOT break your already-works MS-Windows box. Leave it alone. ONLY use the Linux, to BRAEK you computer. A EEE machine you spent 25 bucks on won't break your heart, right??

5. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

ok. thank you for advice. i will never use LINUX.
    will format hdd and reinstall Windows'95 there.

6. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I really liked the windows 95 system… I had a windows 95 box (so that I could run MSFS & a couple-of-other windows-only flight Sims…)
    Jeez that was back in the day when I had hair!

7. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

The Karl Marx look is just a hair-piece don’t worry!

8. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Funny

9. -Shai-

-Shai- Well-Known Member

lulz
    linux on a potato... and salt cracker
    nice OS, don't need a computers)

10. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

How do you see this then?

11. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

The problem I have with trying out Linux is that it lacks services that track my usage. Boo!

12. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

In truth I have been using it every day as my only connection to the Internet and other stuff like that for about 12 years now every single day…
    And before that 12 years I used it since it was .9 X… I mean I have been using GNU/Linux since the very beginning and those days were very difficult and often not satisfactory at all….
    So by the time that 12 years ago came along something magical happened with Linux and for some reason the damn thing started to work for me.
    I suppose it was many things that came right at the same time…
    But yeah how about 12 years ago, just after my reawakening from a heart attack, hi plugged in to a brand new laptop my mom had just bought for me and I burnt to a USB stick and die cut Linux mint running on it and I got a little or no argument by that PC and it wasn’t long and I had gotten Microsoft Windows off of it and since then I have not used Microsoft windows except for a kick I have done that a couple times .
    It’s really helps that around 12 years ago I got the retired by the government and didn’t have to do as I was told by anyone who gave me money (I was retired and this is Canada so I have a pretty secure future I don’t worry too much about buying food and paying rent…)
    I have since changed my preferences I am not a fanatic about Linux mint anymore I have since discovered Manjaro/Linux.
    I still would not recommend people who use the other operating systems to just go and switch for fun because really it won’t be that much fun.
    Stick with what you have stick with what you know.

13. -nicae-

I totally agree with the Stick With What You Know philosophy. But I do have a secondary hidden agenda of one day doing Linux. But I have to admit that the topic of distros is still a little bit daunting. I barely grasp the notion of all these pseudo commands. (SUDO commands... Get it????)

Sorry.

14. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

You know that you can burn a complete and working GNU/Linux onto a USB stick and it will run and run fine and have loads of stuff on it and that you don’t have to know anything about how to get it to work and what to do with it it is just there you start it up and there it is and if you get puzzled and if you feel defeated you can just pull it out turn off your machine and then it will disappear and be gone forever or until you decide to stick the USB in again.
    All you need to do is to know how to get a iso image onto a USB stick and how to boot to that stick and then you will have a complete and properly working Linux already there and you don’t even have to do anything to it it will just work and you don’t even have to know why it’s working.
    And I suppose you can break it and I even know a few ways to do that.
    Just be careful not to use ‘sudo’ for anything.
    Never tell a Lenix system that is live from a USB stick to do anything as ‘sudo’
    There are easy and reliable ways of starting up a USB/Linux as a user that has no route access and cannot do anything that will bust a box.
    I think even those hurdles are really scary to users of the other operating systems.
    You know about riding a bike right? if you can get the thing going forward and you can coordinate your feet so that you can pedal you were already 9/10 of the way there. But there are so many little words of advice and tips and they are impossible to even describe until you get on that stupid bicycle and try it yourself….
    So I have described a method of using those little tiny training wheels that children use for their bicycles…. Except I described the kind that you use for a USB stick.
    You have little to fear if you are careful and realize that you could make mistakes so it is best to of course have an old 10-year-old piece of crap PC to do that on and then it won’t matter a bit even if you make flames come out of it…

15. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Yeah I do recommend you to go to yard sales and used electronics shops and bye a old PC. Make sure it is IBM compatible like a 386 or 486 or Pentium or Pentium II or Pentium III…
    64 bit is preferable but 32 bit will work also.
    That is very important….. find a used PC and boot it up with a USB stick that has a linux of your choice in it.
    If you do not know one Linux from the next with another Linux then go to distrowatch.com.
    there are hundreds that you can read about and download I suggest you start at the top of the list and try the first half dozen.
    (Hint on the top of the list will appear a distro that is called Maniaro! Oh I love that flavour of Linux and by the way it looks just like windows 95!)

-nicae- likes this.
  16. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

And the Maniaro is as powerful as fuck!
    It will work on pretty much any modern PC and it should do just fine and furthermore it can too….. all the stuff that the big boys came too!
    A important hint to always remember about Linux is that that operating system uses ram and uses it very well perhaps it is the best of them all.
    But if you just get it as a first time user don’t worry how about money just get a gigabyte and that will probably be all you could ever dream of at first!

-nicae- likes this.
  17. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

;)

-nicae- likes this.
  18. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

It's funny. Tonight I was updating an old Windows 10 machine and thinking: Why not just install Linux on this old horse? The PC is like a horse being beaten in a Dostoyevskiy novel. Surprisingly, the update messages in Settings say that the PC is able to update to Windows 11. Surprising because the PC only cost about $300 at Walmart (purchased during an emergency here), but I guess the sad, poor CPU and crappy built-in graphics meet the TPM requirements, etc. Honestly, I think I'll go with a Linux distro. It's alive, but I don't need good graphics for my backup PCs. Just ability to get a good connection and an SSH session. For watching movies and stuff in hi-def there's always a MacBook around somewhere ;)

-nicae- and hezzey like this.
  19. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Flk and -nicae- like this.
  20. -nicae-