Win XP --- Win98 IPX connection

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by -brajo, Apr 10, 2003.

1. -brajo

-brajo Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a little problem with my 2 home computers. One is running under WinXP pro, and the other one under Win98se.
    Anyway, I cant install XP on second one because is too old, and I would really like to keep XP on the first one. Also, when i installed Win98 on the first one (as secondary OS) everything was ok, but still I would like to know if there is some way to make it work on my current set of OSs. Standard networking was working fine for some half a year now (file sharing, internet connection sharing, playing warbirds :) , etc...) all over tcp/ip protocol. Ok, now to the problem. :)
    Few weeks ago I tried to play Starcraft :super: with my friend, but it wouldn't work because it supports only ipx protocol for LAN mplay. I tryed installing that protocol on both computers but with no results. I also tried some other (older) games, that are using IPX, like fifa98. Couldn't make it work. Removing tcp/ip protocol and running my network solely on ipx didn't change a thing. (actually, i think network didn't work at all in this case)
    And after everything I tried, I think the problem may be with XP computer (OS). :dunno:
    Can someone help me with this please?

2. dankes

dankes Well-Known Member

There's some command-line IPX diagnostics tool in Win98, can't remember the name. Try searching Win98 help about IPX (network) troubleshooting

3. dankes

dankes Well-Known Member

4. -brajo

-brajo Well-Known Member

Thanks dankes, I will try those tools. I'd like to make it work over IPX.... But hell, if not i'll try to find that free battlenet server. :)

5. DeadManFlying

DeadManFlying Member

There used to be $20 Kali and free Kahn (or was it Khan?) software that predated and was similar in function to battle.net but looked more like IRC. I used to play Warcraft, Descent and Starcraft on Kali. I assume one or both services are still going somewhere.

Also, way back in my DOS -> Win95 upgrade days I remember having to specify a frame type for IPX instead of using autodetect to make IPX games work. I think I used 802.2 or Ethernet_II frame types.

Of course you also need to check the bindings to be sure IPX is bound to the ethernet card on both machines.

6. -brajo

-brajo Well-Known Member

I checked that. Actually I think i tried every possible setting instead of autodetect. Probably i'm missing something.

Checked that one too....
    :dunno:
    Thanks for your help