Wingman tactics.

Discussion in 'I/JG54 Grunherz' started by illo, Apr 28, 2003.

1. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Our basic unit is Rotte. It consists of 2 fighters working as a pair - covering eachothers blind/weak areas.

double attack

There are different types of wingman tactics. I will only brief you with my favorite. Some call it "double attack".

It's my favorite because it enables fast reaction to new situations and gives wingman pretty much responsibility compared to "cover my ass" type of tactics. Minus side of this is that careless wingie can get you sometimes in very bad trouble.

In cruise flight leader leads the flight normally. If wingman spots con and decides to maneuver for attack he calls "in". As well as being attack signal this means that pilot roles are swapped. Attacking fighter will always lead until attack is over. Covering pilot will follow in around d10-d20, look for threats and take advantage of drags etc.

Double attack makes it preferable to fly in line abreast. That is because from this formation each pilot can quickly take initiative and another can convert into wingmans role.

Line abreast

Line abreast is one of most efficent pair formations. It enables great visibility and is good formation as well in defence as offence.

Distance between planes should be around 1000m(d10). This is to allow defensive acm better and ease reaction times needed to follow leader.

[​IMG]

Both pilots should mostly scan sky "inside" formation. This way most of sky will be covered and your wingman wont get suprised. Remember that you are responsible of your wingmans life!

[​IMG]

Line abreast allows whole lot of defensive possibilities. Such as different kind of weaves and sandwiches. I think it's best if you do research for yourself. Running weave is great for disengaging and I think it would be good if you got familiar with it. :) Im too lazy to write about it.

Generally... plane under attack should try to make enemy lose his energy. (by diving, maneuvering etc.) Meanwhile wingman positions himself to attack. (gains E if necessary).
    This way enemy has to abort attacks all the time or he loses his precious E advantage and becomes a target. This tactic supposes pilot under attack is skillful enough to use advantages of his plane to keep safety while forcing enemy to lose his E.

So in nutshell:
    Under attack? Time to dive.
    Wingman under attack? Time to gain some E.
    Enough E? Time to attack.

Ie. in FW 190 fast banking dive* followed by hard scissors is sure, easy and safe way to shake any following plane and force him to overshoot. It bleeds you E like hell, but doesnt matter in 2 vs 1 fight if you consider the advantage that wingman gains over con.

If someone tries to Z&B you while flying with pair its also good to go in shallow dive. This evens out E states and makes it very propable that attacker abandons his plan and switches attack to your wingie. If attacker still isnt coinvinced enough to switch target and continues to close rapidly, bank a little towards your wingman and start very shallow diving turn tightening as attacker gets closer. If you think he will get shot at you just roll inverted and pull around that will guarantee your safety. While this has been going on con has been nicely set up for your wingman.

I hope im not too confusing..clock is 7:00 in the morning.

* 1. for not to run too far from wingman
    2. to trick con in E consuming tighter turn slowly without being too obivious. (As long as its safe, let him think hes got a change to follow you. He will just bleed his E while you will maintain some)

Some misc. reading...
    http://soe.wwiionline.com/12515.html
    http://homepage.tinet.ie/~frontacs/WBStored/index.html

Maybe this is also useful. Not on topic though but some good advices anyway.
    http://www.1strof.com/content/pdf/ROF004a.pdf

Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
    1 person likes this.
  2. oe-aua

oe-aua Member

WTG - for this thread!!

aspern/JG54

*check your 6*

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Cierzo

Cierzo Well-Known Member

cool!! i really need that kind of advices :shuffle:

4. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

damn good times of pairing up on wbfh!
    no joysticks here, so i'm grounded :p

5. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

6. FranzAugust

FranzAugust Well-Known Member

7. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

should have said vista inside :D

8. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Wow, what an ancient thread. :)

9. illerry

illerry Member

Wingman tactics

An extremely irritating bug i keep occasionally encountering. Im unsure what causes it, but now and then a wingman doesnt matter what number he is, constantly repeats "Rejoin" preceded by his number designation.

Such as "Four: Rejoin Four: Rejoin Four: Rejoin Four: Rejoin Four: Rejoin Four: Rejoin" over and over and over

10. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

11. SvetaFruttjem

SvetaFruttjem Banned

Wingman tactics

Have you been able to ascertain what is happening to him when this occurs? I believe it would have something to do with the wingman being done with his task and intending to rejoin, but for some reason lacking the ability to do so. I guess the game might get in a loop where the AI continuously checks its status and decides to initiate a rejoin, is unable to maneuver and therefore will not rejoin, then the AI checks again and so on and so forth.

I havent had it myself to enough of a degree as to be annoying though so I have never been able to look at it myself.

12. nustogSoorn

nustogSoorn Banned

Wingman tactics

Landing with wingman works each and every time here. Flight lead you land on left laine and wingman 2 lands on right. You must keep the right speed 150 and AoA towards the runway. You must slow down to 135 on the last few meters on the approach. You must not have more than 50 air brake on the approach. At the touchdown you go to full with air brakes. Easy

A tip is to set up a pair of AI flights with wingmen and watch them land. Make sure you make note of their approach and landing speed

HJ
    кстати, а как вам такое