Dueling Ladder????

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by By-Tor, May 21, 2003.

1. By-Tor

By-Tor Well-Known Member

Curious to see the interest in a dueling ladder here. My first interest in WB1.11 stemmed from my fascination with the old Deft's dueling ladder. The premise was such that the best pilot truely did claim top honors. The Rules Of Engagement were...

Co-alt merge
    Co-Energy merge
    SAME plane flown!!!! (see the beauty here?) :D
    Cold merge first pass (no Head On fire...on first merge only)
    Best of 5 wins
    Challenger calls 3 of 5 planetype :p

I think this would add a very fresh and exhilarating option to the BnZ for score the current system tends to breed. Silly to watch some of the top....scorers hovering a relatively undefended field with most acks down looking to score :dura:

Anyone here have interest in such a 1 vs 1 put up or shut up? :dark: I have not the ability to put such a thing together, perhaps someone of higher...binary capacity than myself
    I am VERY interested in comparing those stats against the current scoring system. Imagine the arguments and bluster we could end....' meet me for a duel ;) and let the results be posted for all to see. I really believe this could put to rest alot of the anger and tension we witness here on this great FH.

Understand, this is NOT a claim that I will sit anywhere near the top rank on the ladder, but what white-knuckled action it doth breed :eek: :eek: :cheers:

2. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

this is good idea;
    Ur right about statistics and points; the only statistics which can tell sth about pilot skills r only, imho: kill\death, win\loose; well, maybe not only, but they r most important;
    great amount of pts r gained by, as i call them, quakers (kills only in ho, fighting 10:1, stealing kills from other pilot when con ditching etc) which dont know much about tactics or r not interested in it;

ive been thinking, to make at least an additional statistic, sth like a Ur ladder:
    to give a winner a special type of points - not counted in mainly score (like monstr); they would be awarded in depending of a position taken in statistic kill\death or win\loose; fe. player with position no50 kills player with pos no10, so he is awarded (100+50)\10=15 points; if no10 kills no 50 then (100+10)\50=2.2 pts; if no200 kills no 50 then (100+200)\50=6 pts;

points counted in this way would be a new statistic;

sorry for little offtopic :); as for Ur idea, it would be great to make a duel ranking; i guess i wouldnt be too high in such ranking but these fights would be the hardest and the most important lessons for pilots; there could be made a special arena for dueling, i bet it would be with crowdy public sometimes;
    imo good idea

3. -ada--

-ada-- FH Beta Tester

U r wrong - best way to get high score is to gain biiig streak. Quakers tend to die young, so they won't get any streak.
    Duelling championships would be fun (btw, there were few organizied by -mart-), but i don't think that idea of alternative scoring system is any good.
    Scores shows nothing and few people actually 'care' about scores.

Last edited: May 21, 2003
  4. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

I remember Adamski's Ladder, I learnt to fight there. Was great fun. :super:

5. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

ok focus then on the stealing part, killing ditchers, noneng etc ;)
    i mean the good pilots r really flying for satisfaction not just for kills and im not that yet, i still want kills so much :shuffle: :turret:

ladder needs scores and imo such ranking would be great; maybe i would learn df then, like fla did ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2003
  6. beerme

beerme Well-Known Member

It was Wally's Lader that brought me to freehost. I was dueling "Ironman" and he told me about it. A resurection of Wally's ladder would be nice. BTW I was "wombat714" on the ladder (not combat-wombat). Who else here was on that ladder and what was your callsign on it? Fla was your's flavio or Mengo? I 'm sure Grobar was Kolio, who else?

Last edited: May 22, 2003
  7. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

you were wombat ??? lol, you were on top for sometime!

i know grobar(kolio), bizerk(bullet maybe, forgot), illo(dunno) and I know there were others, but I can't remeber now.

BTW, I was mengo there :joystick:

8. By-Tor

By-Tor Well-Known Member

Ahhh yes Wally's Ladder!
    I was a member also as By-Tor. I belongd to the 'screamin pterodactyls' along with Racerx, Lerxst, Cobraj, Fly and a couple I can't recall. Racerx was by best of our group at 1 vs 1 ,but couldnt survive a minute in a multi-plane environment.
    Thats why I think it would be so cool to have a ladder as it would allow for a completely new way of competing for many out there that perhaps dont do so well in a crowded sky. It breeds a completely different combat focus,but the essential elements of air-combat are still applied. Even SA becomes a different beast. Instead of needing to attend to the other threats around you, you learn to focus more precisely on things like Relative Energy states. I still fly around the FH skies with an eye out for a 1 vs 1 fight to conclusion(tho they are few and far between)
    The Wally (Adamski) ladder pitted historical aircraft against each other while the Deft's ladder required both pilots to fly the SAME AC type. Now that requirement REALLY forced you to concentrate on the angle/energy relationship! :dura:
    -When to blow that E-parity for a snapshot opportunity :dark:
    miss the shot and you are now E disadvantaged and the factors and related decisions are reshuffled. :flyer: Think fast! :znaika: A moment of indecision could tip the scale :help:
    I used to walk away from a duel with white-knuckled shaking hands and tattered nerves-time to make a drink :cheers: :kruto:
    This type fighting is very intense and not for everyone but woludnt it be great to have the option of arena OR ladder flying .
    Anyone know how to implement something like that? :help:

HeHeHeHe...Remember NyTy? I always had an odd attraction for her. I think it was the pony-tails :shuffle:

9. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

lol yep i remember those battles on wally/adamsky's ladder challenge. it is were i learned as well. byt's old squad mate taught me a few tricks (fly) gizz was thier as well as tipiss/acadia, i remember helping them get started. i was bizerk, for a time. then oblivion (ironman, did me in, in his 109) i know brajoo was thier. dot, kernel, woebrd, many others too from here. yes byt i remember nyty also and sika, or how about latrine? poolshark and crazyhorse. so many to list i remember you mengo if i am correct , you were the one to get me to join FH as a gold (only for a short time) at least i think it was you. :) i remember kolio too. sorry if i forgot any :( anyhow it got real slow thier so no one showed up for schedualed fights. was definately fun for sure. yes many white knuckle fights. soundslike a grand idea :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2003
  10. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

I was Dot on wally's ladder :)
    I actually learned to fly and fight in WB there. But at the time most of you guys started to show up, the ladder was already half dead. Still had a couple of memorable duels with some of ppl I later met here (greetings Brajo :)). Also anyone remembers frwind? He was damned tough in 109f - he was the one who showed me how to turnfight in that plane with spits and other dogfighters an who infected me with love to 109's. Great pilot, quick thinking and extremely aggressive.

11. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

Lol, latrine that crazy portuguese bastard :dura:

I still have his ICQ# somewhere.... anyone wants it ?

12. laline

laline Well-Known Member

Ladder

Sounds interesting to me. Count me in if this gets in progress. Can always do with some practice

13. tipiss

tipiss Well-Known Member

I was acadia in the ladder... was even no.1 for a while. I really miss those days. Before each fight I would get sweaty hands!!! that,s what's so fun about it, somebody is going to win, no more running to acks or running to field or a surpize attack... only one will survive.

SPY was the one who gave me the link to the FH, and it's true, bullet helped me for a while... back in the days when the Ki-84 was is favorite plane :)

14. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

hehehe old times eh... i joined adamski ladder some months after i started playing WB. I was learning the 109 and nassko (hristo) was my guru (he was also on adamski ladder).
    We played h2h almost every day!

I remember some guys i fought there at the time like -sika- and dragoness (his girlfriend) both very nice ppl! Sika kicked my butt...
    Latrine, how to forget this completely crazy and funny portuguese! Hmm it was so long time.. im not sure but if i recall well my nickname was Pirado at this time but when Aces High opened the first beta tour i simply quit the ladder. Then few months ago i found the link again and wanted to fly a bit so i created the account: -herz- but played only one match and it was against mengo, remember fla? :D

15. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

i remember a frwind on wally's adamskis ladder, i never flew against him. but i do remember brajoos friend gokicar might even be goki here if i remember correctly. ahh fond memories :) good topic byt old chum :) would be nice if it happened. i liked the 2.74 version on the ladder the best. 2.75 was good too. 2.76 had some changes in it, but wasn't bad either. it would have to be one version. i suppose this FH version will do. i think all the various versions of warbirds is what ultimately killed the ladder challenge. so only one version is a must.

bullet

16. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

LOL, I remember it now!!! :cool:
    Who won btw ? :confused:

17. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

I won :) Not the last one before closing but one of the older seasons ;)

18. -brajo

-brajo Well-Known Member

Thx Stec :)
    I also learned flying there. That place was great... I never liked arena flying like dueling there :)
    Still my favourite type of game :)

And Stec is the only pilot to whom I admit that is better than me ;)

Btw, nice signature/message you have there... this part is best:
    "Offline until: release of dedicated server for Il-2 Forgotten Battles"

S! All

19. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

Hmmm if i recall well it was you flying P38 and me 109. Not sure about the result but i think it was herz 4x1 fla or 3x0... cant remember... :(
    I still can remember the last fight that we made a HO after i finished the hammerhead you were able to hold the P38's nose stalled verticaly on props while i was diving completely impatient on ya and both of us lost our engines. We had to go gliding to see who would hit the ground first... then you splashed few seconds before me. :D

20. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

aaah, i see everyone is indulging in nostalgic memories of the youth... people were different then, not like those now!

ehhh

i was strangelly attracted by both Nytty and Latrine ;)

goki was my first opponent and the person who told me about FH.

What happened with Wally? the site has disappeared