Beware! File sharing no more!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Malino, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

2. weird-

weird- Well-Known Member

Yess! Lawyers around the world cheer as millions of poor mp3-leechers will be jailed! Music-piracy won't stop if they sue 20-30 ppl, they couldn't get the big ones, like the Kazaa-distributors, now the little man has to bleed... :mad:

3. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

As usual, because little man cant afford to pay lawyers...need I quote Shakespear?

4. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Thank GOD I live in Holland....

Here it is legal to share music, as long as you've got the rights for it. It is only illegal to own music to which you DON'T have the rights.

So, if I receive a letter stating that I'm being sued, I'll run to the CD-store and buy $100 worth of records so I've got all the songs legally. That way, I cannot be sued. In Holland, it is legal to own backup copies of music and make them available on a peer-to-peer network. It is up to the person downloading it to make sure they're not breaking any laws.

Oh, and I don't download the crap those people named in the article call music... I mean, Anastacia, Missy Elliot and the Dixie Chicks? GIMME A FUCKIN' BREAK!

5. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Is it the same in Belgium? I hope :D

<Z>

6. Apocalyps

Apocalyps Well-Known Member

One thing you should ALWAYS do is empty your shared folder. Maybe keep a couple of useless files in it that no one will download. This will keep the thousands of mp3s you have out of sight and it will save you on uploading bandwith.

The risk of getting any problems is virtualy non existant, I'd only start worrying a little bit if I'd live in the US. The R.I.A.A. is a biatch over there!

Take care

7. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    I would love to see those middlemen driven right out of the arts.

People have made music as long as there have been people.
    People have listened to music as long as there has been music.
    Music was, until recently, ALL PERFORMED LIVE.
    Oh, I would love to see the day when musicians have to perform their work live in order to make an honest living, where bouncers won't kick your face in for holding up a little recording device at the ballroom. RIAA is doomed. That whole industry as it is formatted is doomed. And I happily say, "Fuck 'em!"

I once attended a grateful dead concert. It was at an outdoor festival. It was made known WAY before the show that anyone who wanted could record that music and do whatever they wanted with it, including COPY IT, DISTRIBUTE IT OR EVEN SELL IT.
    All those guys in the Greatful Dead got rich, filthy rich. None of them suffered horribly from allowing people to do what they wanted with the captured sounds. The joy of Grateful dead BYPASSED the recording industry and came right into my ears and heart, it appealed to the fans, the LISTENERS.

Again, RIAA is doomed.

[when modern canning was invented, was there legislation in the Houses Of Power enacted to protect Barrel Makers? (called "coopers")
    When concrete cement was invented, did governments try to halt the building of good roads in order to protect the passenger rail industry? Maybe, but they passed into history anyway.

Progress is unstoppable.

8. RolandGarros

maybe, but its seems tremendously easy to slow it to a snails pace

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  9. Apocalyps

The music industry is killing itself. In the golden years of the music industry ('60s and '70s) people did it for the music. Money was more like a bonus, they just wanted to show the talent they had to the world (I'm talking about the record labels). But in the early '90s it went from bad to worse, record labels saw artists and their music only as an income. It is all about the money nowadays. That is also why they have all these manufactured bands (e.g. the much hated boybands). So like it was said, there is an evolution and it is too bad for the record companies that is not going the way they would like it to go.

Another thing, offcourse it is normal that the revenues of the music industry have fallen the last couple of years. There has been an almost world wide economic recession! Every sector has basically seen a decline in sales...

Just my thoughts

grtz

10. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

They can look for whatever they want on my puter the biggest part of my music collection are the records noone buys, or the records noone knows, so in that case it isn't about the money, because those guys released it anyway... I mean, anyone of you guys ever heard of FUEL records?

<Z>

11. alfixx

alfixx Well-Known Member

earth station 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

"music industry" says it all

biles says the rest ;)

i prefer to d/l music art

oh, I wish it was only for music!!! :ass:

PS: in that article i didnt see any info about actuall law passed against file-sharing??? it just attempts to scare, lol

"The RIAA will gather evidence by scanning public directories to find people offering music. It then intends to download the copyrighted files for use as evidence and issue subpoenas against internet service providers to find the individuals' names and addresses. "

So RIAA can be incriminated for breaking copyright law, hehe

13. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

The instant I hear the RIAA has downloaded our music I'll sue their friggin' arses for 3 billion in damages....

Or wait, if I do that I'll only force them to sue MORE people in order to pay me.... :(

RIAA : Raping Innocent Art Appreciators

14. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Fuck this no downloading music thing.

I actually make my music for the sake of music, not this money thing. If I could live off of minor money, but do music as a living, I WOULD! Fuck money, I'm here for music and performance of it. My band doesn't get recognition from recording, no, we get it from live performance, but we still need to be known. Downloading our songs is fine by me, it helps us get noticed!

15. RolandGarros

there is somethings good to to be said for studio work.
    i can do it 2 words:
    Led Zeplin
    throughout the 1960s Jimmy Page was london's #1 session guitarist. it is said he play on ~50% of all studio work done in lone from early 60s until 66, when he was with the yardbids. zeplin's studio albums are some of the best music recorded and the conrtoled environment allowed them to excel. LZ's road albums are top notch, but do not compare to studio ones.
    That being said, bands make the majority of their $ on the road anyway. Take for example a top major band that can fill a big stadium $25 a ticket for 40,000 fans is a cool million in 1 night (less after expenses). compare that to working for say 6 months on a studio album, that sell, if it is excellent, 2 million copies. industry average is $5 profit per CD, so $10 million in few months, that they can make on the road in a 2 weeks. IMO the albums are just their to drive the road business. give it away free, reach a wider audience, play bigger venues.

BTW i think we should all send letters to metalica saying some thing like

"i downloaded your music for free, it sucked, waste of good HD space and bandwith, i deleted it. please stop making music.

ps. you're ugly, please stop appearing on my TV also."

16. Apocalyps

Yesterday I also heard some more news about Metalica and Linkin Park.

They are so f*cking dumb, now those two bands won't even allow people to download their songs through a recognised service for which the subscribers PAY money. In the popnews they mentioned that they won't allow that anymore on some Apple downloading thingy.

Don't they just understand that this is the way that the music industry is evolving? Instead they just expect that everyone will buy their whole CD and not PAY for the ONE song they want!

RolandGarros made a good point about reaching a greater audience. Interesting way to look at it!

17. weird-

weird- Well-Known Member

Metallica? Heard St. Anger yet? Metallica is so poor now coz of mp3, they had to play the drumpart on thrashcans! :D :D

18. Apocalyps

Mwauh HAAHAHAHAHA

So my eeeevil master plan worked *puts his pinky to his mouth*

19. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

:@prayer: :@prayer: :@prayer: :rose:

20. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

Grobar, I saw Keebo yesterday and he let me listen to the Raw version of the Classical piece you asked him to make.

It's awesome and as soon as it's finished I'll post it up for you to listen to.

Mal