How see the current FH veteran WB pilot... something to muse.

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by RedBull, Aug 8, 2003.

1. devill

devill Well-Known Member

@ozmale

Maybe friendly fire is not good because we dont have a court martial and death sentences on FH :D

But I would definitely put in friendly collisions, and that would for sure increase the piloting skills of many :p

Can someone tell me how collisions work in FH?

2. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

They don't work. They just happen.

3. Comet-

Comet- Well-Known Member

Devill:

What is wrong with IAS? For example compression, which is totally f***ed up here, thanks to IEN.

In RL, it is dangerous to dive at higher altitudes, as Mach speed is lower, and you can enter compression very fast (for example P38).

In WB, P38 has unrestricted manouverability and diving ability at high altitudes, it is hard to achieve 400mph IAS at 25 000 feet. OTOH under 15k, it is easy to enter compression and to change into the straight flying lawndart.

In RL, this did not happen. P38 was safe from compression effects under 15k and remained fully controlable up to its dive limits, 450mph I think.

4. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

Interesting post, can you contact me privately, and describe problems you find?

5. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

i like that part the most:

" I fought two A6M Zeros this morning for a quarter of an hour in an I153 putting holes in both of them and taking 47 7mm and 12 20mm rounds before one of them hit my verticle stabilizer. This is a slow biplane against what was probably the best monoplane fighter in the world in 1940. This should not have happened, I should have been dead meat and these were not rookie Gold pilots..." :D

i153 is a zeke killer, u can do virtually everything with it, if the pilot accepts dogfight

Last edited: Aug 9, 2003
  6. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

Go for high speed dive and pull back.. you will find yourself in flatspin.. I don't see any reason why the hell plane should start spining in such maneuver! And particularly 190 which spin characteristics were described as wonderful.

@rgreat -- ok I'll do it, next week
    altough I doubt it is of any use.. most of these matters were already discussed at forum; like p38 issue... :rolleyes:

7. budice

budice Well-Known Member

It sort of depends on which variant of the I-153 is modeled (which engine actually) but the top speed of the I-153 in FH seems to be about 35 to 45 kph too slow. I've never been able to get it much over 400 kph in level flight. Most of the material I've found have 435 to 445 kph as top level flight speed, at least if the plane had the ww2 era engine, which was pretty darn fast for a biplane. I also found a variant with four 12.7mm guns :) OOooOOooOO.

It's an important balancing plane for the red. Fast to get in the air during field defense and one of only a few that can turn with the jap planes, the info I found said it could do a 360 degree turn in 8 seconds. With the pop guns though, I've returned with over 190 hits on enemy and no kills, only assists. Kills are hard with this plane. You also have to be very careful not to snap a wing off in hard turns.

Speaking of jap planes, I've had a few experiences with zeros where they seem to take a lot of hits and damage. I always thought the knock on these planes was it only took a few rounds to bring them down. If that's the case the damage seems to be not properly modeled on these.

Budice
    :cheers:

8. Comet-

Comet- Well-Known Member

Manoce: Yes, but that was AFTER last version.... wait till the next version and then whine if you want :)

As far as I remember, Fw190 had dangerous high speed accelerated stall. But then... I have NEVER EVER got myself in the flat spin in fw190, only with full flaps in normal spin.

9. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

Hey guys, there was MAAAAANY threads about FH bugs,errors etc, and most of them were ignored. So many polls, so many good ideas... we only can wait another "2 weeks" for new russian super-planes

10. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

it's a WB made myth...zekes in RL were quite tough, didn't loose wings so easily,accelerated better,had quite bigger overall G resistance...and later versions had blower, which is not even available for zekes here (WEP in WB) there are many errors in zero's FM (generally in WB)...

11. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

@ hjm

negative.. blower is not wep... boost is wep.. but otherwise.. yes, you are right!

but zeros were not tough.. their construction was too light.. they couldnt sustain much damage - however you had to hit metal parts.. not just penetrate textile ;) and they were catching fire easily

about their ability to dive.. I guess it is modeled well in WBFH... you can escape in A6M5b to yak 3 in diving.. however the triming is unrealistic.. Zeke benefits much from this .. you couldnt hold its nose down at such speeds as here you can thx to trimming

imho wep, G durability, climb speed and acceleration modeled here not very well

12. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

cc manoce, i meant boost, not the blower :)

about its toughness...i didnt mean to compare ir with such a hogs like p47 ;), but to criticise a "paperplane" myth a little

13. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Do you mean zero didn't have trim tabs? If it had he sure could keep nose down.

Hstab trim was used to pull out 109s from dives in real life.

14. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

illo, some earlier versions (don't remember which tho) didn't have either vertical or horizontal tabs (can't recall now which),and even with vertical, it's not that obvious...

zekes had much more differences between variants,than one could expect

15. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

As i wrote earlier i'm the jap-plane-lover and it seems to me that you have been lucky... normally 1 or 2 (or 4-5 12mms) 20mms into cfuselage or eng and Zero is out of fight or already dead. Although i've often landed Zeros shot 10-15 20mms into wingtips or back of fuselage (personal record: 18x20)... Zero is the perfect plane when it comes to avoiding getting in the line of enemy fire. I also has radial engine (overheats slower when oil is already leeking and looses oil slower too) and takes huge amounts of fuel (standard 50% setting is way too much- i usually start with 25 or 20%) which prevents it from going down as result of fuel leak... It's DM is imho good but often misanderstood by red pilots who count hit bullets and not place they hit in. This is a general issue on WBFH, i remember that once a il2 pilot couldn't understand, how i downed his birdy with only 46x12mm (from Oscar, hit from d1,2-d0,8 into steers)- lol... was funny (it's still my il2 record) but was true from historical point of view.

16. Comet-

Comet- Well-Known Member

A6M had a horizontal trim. Only A6M3 had vertical trim and none had aileron trim. It was trimmed on the ground for the cruise speed.

But the horizontal trim was already fully deflected at 190 mph, and it became very difficult to prevent plane from pull up at speeds over 350mph, nearly impossible.

17. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Textile on Zeros? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Zeke an all-metal airframe?
    And as a matter of fact Zero's *were* tough :). With an exception of unprotected fuel tanks and lack of pilot armor they were much tougher compared to planes like spits, mustangs or 109's. 1st their airframe was suitable for greater G's and greater stress which couldn't been said about spits and P51's notorically losing wings at high G's or high speed dives. Also Zeke's radial engine was much more resistant to damage than fragile inline engines, which could be destroyed with a single bullet.
    Hit Zero in cockpit or fuel tanks and it will fall, everywhere else it should be at least as durable as mentioned planes.

As for the other mismodelled thing on FH:
    - spit damage model (20 or more 20mm shells and mosts spits will fly away)
    - p39 damage model (this is my personal record: 33x20mm and 90x7mm + ack fire from 2 passes low over CV group... no visible damage)
    - i16 stability (afaik can't be fixed, too bad)
    - p39d too high speed, stability, stall speed and climb (proved to developers by several players with reliable data and tests, no reaction so far)
    - absurd damage model for 7mm bullets.

18. Comet-

Comet- Well-Known Member

cc, Zero was all-metal aiframe.

But that urban myth about Spit and 20x20mm+.... :))).

It is same as my personal record for 109G2r6, where it needed 30x20mm from my La5fn + unknown amount from second La5fn.

Or 35x20mm into the N1K from Mosquito, without visible damage

Or 40x20mm into Typhoon from N1K2 under d2...no critical damage...

Whole damage model have problems, not only Spit :(

19. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

What do you mean?
    If you mean that I-16 is quite instable and unforgiven to fly, it is intended. And i struggle alot to get it that way. ;)
    I even quite proud of outcome. :mafia:

20. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

I only quoted... you, Rgreat :)
    I don't fly this plane at all so if I missed any corrections to FM, sry ;)