ATTENTION: Target Rabaul is open beta now!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by heartc, Aug 10, 2003.

1. heartc

heartc Well-Known Member

2. heartc

heartc Well-Known Member

Oh, I see plenty of you guys are already active there in the forums. So I guess this was old news ;). Sorry if it has been posted already.

3. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    been waiting for the beta to be released. I downloaded it. Then I registered. Then I downloaded the huge "mods."
    Then I started it up and watched as my mouse crawled like a drunken bug and I thought, "Sigh, time to get a faster machine."
    Took a long time to load terrain and then I was booted to my desktop. :eek:
    Jeez.

:rolleyes:

4. Comet-

Comet- Well-Known Member

It's probably better to call it Open Alpha.

But I like it, they did great work on FM and engine management and that game definitely has some potential.

I don't know about HW requirements, but I am running it at PIII 450 with TNT2 Ultra and 256MB RAM, and that is probably lowest "playable" configuration. There are lot of bugs, like with Microsoft FF joysticks causing huge drops in FPS (some bug in DX9). It is also good idea to turn off vertical synchronization in Open GL settings for video card driver.

Oh, japanese aircrafts are killers there. Acceleration and climb rate of Zero is excelent. Under 5 min to the 20k at full power, but definitely handfull to fly without trims and with sensitive rudder.

5. gunn-r

gunn-r Well-Known Member

There is also a T:R subforum here in case you haven't noticed ;)

6. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

Well I downloaded it and hated it so not for me sorry.

Mal

7. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

I've read that people will be able to host their own private servers for about max. 100 pilots online. Will it be free or will it require the usual paid account?

Salute!
    Daedal

8. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

well.. These servers would be incorporated into server list (already now you can do your own server with your own settings) at TW for which you wil have to pay :

10$ / month -- 3 games (Target Rabaul, Flanders, Korea) - mb more later.. depends how many more will be developed

if you want for example target Winter war.. you can do it will be 4 games... and so on

FM of Target Rabaul is probably the most accurate ever made.. IL2 sucks compared to it... but that means it is hardcore.. no place for relaxed realism

no autotrims, no rudder for aiming in light planes, complex engine management and so on -- but it depends on you.. you can make either own Mod for TW or own server with some features of already existing Mod changed - it is all in txt files ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2003
  9. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

Oh, if I were to pay I'd rather pay for the sim once, in a shop for instance. I'm not a big fan of any monthly charges for a computer game. This kind of politics is not for me. Thus, long live WBFH! When this is over, my on-line flying will be over as well.

I've read the AH forum and the general impression is that those who pay, manifest dislike of those who are on the free trial period. Stupid discussions are taking place, sometimes pathetic.
    I'm not into this kind of stuff definitely.

Salute!
    Daedal

10. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

I wonder if FH staff would like to start their sim project with Target X engine. :)

11. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Yeah! That would be great...

that guys already created most "playable" sim with their FH WB <S!> and the Target engine is most sophisticated on the market now (never thought possible to have 11 different vent positions on radiator before playing TR for example)... i've started playing FH WB with 233MHz Pentium I machine... now i, and many players more, have more sophisticated systems, which allow a bit more than just WB-like calculations and Target platform has incredible possibilities... WB-like flightsim, based upon T-engine would rock the community for the next few years

12. Comet-

Comet- Well-Known Member

You will still have to pay a month fee for any sim based on TW engine.

13. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Dito,

it has great potential, but not for me, I appreciate the work and die-hard effort they put in it, but I think the screenshots are deceiving... it looks "ok" but the graphical effects and fancy bells go to waste, there is a lack of camera control as well...

and just... well... it goes to waste on me... I guess I'll fly a little more Strike Fighters in that case...

<Z>

14. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

Zemb, it's just a beta...and the graphics are really not that important for a true passionate (of flying as a whole,at least for now)...this game will (i hope so) separate real fans, from the arcade quakers

it's FM opens many new possibilities, and fights, which would be surely lost here, are not so certain there (as manoce said, no more stupid rudder kicking or stick stirring...those guys end up dead mostly, u can make a mistake much easier)...

and those Zekes...they rule :)

15. Zembla JG13

still my own opinion, no need to call me a quake flyer for that... the game's got this dirty look, and this lost feeling to it... I just don't feel at my place over there... and I don't agree with you actually

<Z>

16. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

@zembla.. FM of TR is wonderfull

even IL2 cant compete with it

about graphics... well at max detail it is very nice.. if you still dont like it you can add your own textures and so on.. this game is open :) graphics can be changed at will... however graphics was not the goal of developers... they were so far been working on 3D models of planes (which are awesome) and FM (which rocks as well - there is no problem of table sims like wb that planes have not their real performance... all they need is to insert right data for plane.. and the performance is calculated.. - I've made a lots of test... they all match! it is incredible)

well.. in short : I can't say it is best air combat game,, but I'm pretty sure it is the best air combat simulator

17. Zembla JG13

I play it on max graphics, and I still think it is dirty, the FM might be as wonderful as apple pie, but I stick with my opinion, why do people want to convince me my opinion is bad or wrong?

<Z>

18. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

i don't want to convince u to anything...i've just said my own opinion, and this quaker wasn't meant for u actually

19. heartc

heartc Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say I won't d/l that thing right now, so you won't see me flying there. Not only is the d/l pretty big - from the status indicator I guess around 60-80 mb, if not more - but also I'm rather short on money this month so I won't be able to fly that thing as much as it would probably deserve anyway. Maybe next month. Anyone knows how long it will stay open beta?? I hope long enough so I will be able to convince myself whether or not I might continue after the fee sets in.

20. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

The FM may be good but wheres the trim keys? Both planes I flew (P40 & A6M) kept nosing up. I couldn't find a way to lower stick input so I just touched the stick and was upside down, I hated that the horizon was so close and "clicked" as I flew and the ground to me was like flying in 2D.

But thats just my opinion.

Mal