OT: Despotat Pulpudeva

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by grobar, Aug 12, 2003.

1. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

The Despotat of Pulpudeva started as any other country. From a small city somewhere in the grasslands, on the bank of a river. Millennia later the Plovdivski citizens will learn where is that "somewhere".

It grew slowly, the Filibelii send their sons and daughters to settle only places with good climate and plenty of resources to serve the future cities. Thus they populated the area later to be named Thracia in the stately documents. But they left expanses of less fertile land unpopulated and prefered to trace bigger distances to their new cities. So (as they learned later) they lagged behind the other tribes and remained one of the smallest peoples. But they were industrious and Despot Evmolp, astute ruler with great interest in discovering knowledge and wisedom, guided with foresight the attempts of priests, mystics and wisemen and later - scientists. Its people were of peaceful nature and prefered work rather than military duty.

Thus Pulpudeva kept in pace with the rest of the world.

However the cities were poorly defended. Many a tribute was paid to raiding hoards of barbarians. Not the barbarians however were Evmolps biggest worry - but the neibhour civilizations his people soon came across. He used his best cunning to keep them at bay.

First we met the English from the south. Their women bore children with great rate! They were making cities closer and closer north. Several times they took the best places we were planning to settle, coming first with mere years. But we were afraid to ask them to leave.

Later when they filled the entire south part of the continent they started to colonize the wasteland we have left empty inbetween our cities. Gradually our cities in the south were cut off from the capital, Plovdiv. We named the two new parts of our country Thracia Substancia and Thracia Substancia Australis. Because at that time we have mastered the art of sea-going and the found the land beyond the western sea - we hurried to settle it and cut off the English. Because they had land connection and we saw their colonists coming from south. But this time we were first - the city of was established on the thinnest strip of land, so our Navy can cross though to the sea beyond. Thus was born Provincia Ultramare.

Our hearland has become so intertwined with the english that we had to forget our dreams some day, when the Plovdivski sons are inspired by the idea for greatness, to get rid of them. Such a war without frontline would be total chaos and our entire land would suffer destruction.

We continued expanding west untroubled - on the other coast of that sea beyond Ultramare. We knew those cities straining our resources now, one day will be most important in our struggle for the place in the world. This was a poor region, troubled by huge corruption - so far away from the capital - two sea-trecks and two masses of land had to crossed. But we continued west and west - far beyond the desert we found new fertile land and established Provincia Distans Occidental. We were had not enough working hands, to build roads reaching those far places, let alone to improve the terrain. The corruption was huge.

Meanwhile our ships discovered many other civilizations - we found out to the south of our new lands was the huge empire of the Russians. Further west and south were the Chinese and germans who more backwards than us. It became clear Pulpudeva, although having no army, has become the third most advanced country in the Medieval times. It was not consolting however that both most powerful were our neibhours - the Russians and after them - the English.

It took many centuries but finally the province of Thracia Nova was developed and we built the Forbidden Palace. Corruption disappeared and it become the second heartland of Pulpudeva, providing powerful economy. Meanwhile we lost the important city of Krumovo - they succumbed to russian mass culture. Some they we will take it back.

But the russians are threatening us. Several times we had to pay tribute to keep their swords in the sheath. When we discovered gun powder we trained many musketeers and send them over the sea to Thracia Nova to give security to our people there. Now our science was advancing quite fast and we kept small lag behind the russians. We traded science for resources and money with the other civilizations and helped them become stronger. Eventually we bought mutual protection pacts with the Germans and Chinese. The English - the only empire that could match the Russians in war had obligations to defend the Germans.

We had the infantry (after quickly establishing the cities of Rudozem and Madan to dig iron and coal in the mountains - they were separated along with the old port Iagodovo in new administrative unit - Thracia Nova Superior), we built factories, railroads. It was the time of World War I. It could begin. Evmolp took the risk.

Our diplomats called the russian envoy and handed him a note - remove your forces from our land. He was waiting for this for centuries. Theyre vast armies wandering in the steppes of Thracia Nova, looking for provocation to start pillaging, were now let loose. The province was quickly reduced to wasteland.

The World War started. Germany, China and England declared war to Russia. We swiftly signed treaties with England and Germany for free passage through Plovdivski territory. Our cities in Thracia Nova were now reasonably well defended - 2-3 infantry divisions in each. Infantry in the years of the Great War was unbeatable as defender. The Russians didnt dare attack. They moved theyre huge armies - infantry and cavalry north - pillaging and looting the steppes. The only threat for the now prosperous and large cities was the hunger, but the Filibelii are strong!

[​IMG]

Then the english army poured through Provincia Ultramare! Total carnage. Every 5 years the english army will destroy the russian, albeit with great losses, and free Thracia Nova. Next 5 years the russian army will destroy the english, albeit with great losses, and advance north. This continues many decades now. Our boys look from the city forts and tell to each other - it will be fertile land when we return to agriculture one day.

But now it seems the English have lost their entire army. There are few new replacements coming recently. The Russians have moved up north - threatening Nova Superior and even Provincia Ultramare. We almost lost the railway link we have built to deliver english units instantly to the front. We had to enter combat to restore possession of it and now it is occupied by our infantry divisions. But this means or allied cant move through. It is stalemate. We lost our new infantry in that battle. Fortunately, while evacutaing our workers we discovered a fact long forgotten in the archives - that Ultramare and Thracia Substancia are not different pieces of land. We could move instantly by english railways all the garrisons of the hearland to the threatened province.

It is now stalemate. Noone can attack. However we still havent lost a single city and keep the supply line for Nova Superior. Some english troops are stationed south of it. Provincia Distans Occidental saw limited military action although it also borders the russian land. It was cutoff by resources supply, because some Germans cities were razed by the Russians. We built harbour to reestablish the link with the rest of the country. We just menaged to transfer there by sea some division and the cities are reasonably safe.

But this huge carnage will help Pulpudeva to emerge soon as the most advanced nation in the world!

After trade of knowledge with our allies - the english, to whom we recently became equals - our scientists are confident they will discover a Wunderwaffe in 20 years. The Tank. Then we can start the Offence. Empty the steppes of russians units and attack their own cities. Liberate Krumovo. It is race with time - Russians will probably have the Tank a bit before us. But while they were busy making armies to replace the losses, our cities were all building factories and now are much more powerful economy.

We will see who is first. In 20 years.
    World War I will transition in World War II without interruption of peace.

We already created the Directorat Occupatio, although it has no territory of jurisdiction yet.

2. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

civilization = total ownage :)

3. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

Don't you dare to not keep up the history later!!!

BTW, civ3 ?

4. Comet-

Comet- Well-Known Member

Good luck with conquering Russia. I tried that 10 years ago in old Civilization in historical scenario, and I ended exactly like Germans. Armor, aircrafts, mechanized infantry, against 50+ cities over huge area with insane amount of riflemen... It took me more than 100 turns to conquer 3/4 of their land, and almost all cities were destroyed in endless fights.
    I was pissed off and out of time, so I nuked remaining computer cities.
    After 5 turns, my beautiful great high-tech pollution-free cities Washington and New York were almost erased ...

---

Civilization rulez :) Only game I played from Friday evening to Monday morning without sleeping:)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  5. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Fla:

2. cc
    1. ??????????????????????????????????

Civilization = total lifewaste

I finished that war, retrieving Krumovo and capturing Kazan. Probably 2/3 of both russian and english armies were destroyed, while mine grew to maybe 10% of their numbers, lol. (i finished building everything I could build in the cities, so I started Tanks).

And yes - I started Modern Age first.

Latest developments:
    Then I decided I have plenty of tanks, why not use them again. I organized another Entente. Then just asked the russians to get away again. -poof-
    this time my armies were rdy - 5 russian cities fell the same turn. while their main army was north in the jungles of Tropica Internationalis (they were still in war with the Germans).

But now im deep shit. They still dont want to make peace with me. But all my cities are running multimillion anti-war rallies instead of working! And I just found out the russians have got the tank too. Well, Ive got the mech infantry, but it will take 10 years to upgrade and move them to the frontline.

6. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

1. Keep writing the history updates :)

7. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

and then I stopped playing :p

8. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

Damn you gro!!! Now I'm downloading Civ3 all over again. BTW found this 'Play the World' version that seems to suport multiplayer. What about some games ?

9. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Sounds good but I started exams. :(

But I have very old version - 1.17f - no multiplayer there.

can you play scenarios with other humans?

10. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

We do when you finish exams. Not sure about scenarios, I have this standalone version, 170mb I downloaded in emule.

11. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

im home and my inet is very slow again
    since its not likely that ill find absolutely the same version here as yours - could you burn it and post it?

BTW did you get my mail?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003