should 7mm's be stronger

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by lepper, Aug 23, 2003.

?

Change 7 mm's dmg?

1. Yes, as above

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No, leave it as it is

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Increase 7mm power at all

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. Go away lepper

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. lepper

lepper Well-Known Member

It is hard to kill something with 7mm. You need to put about 100-200 bullets in plane or about 50 in one of its parts. How about change dmg made by 7mm's:

increase dmg on:
    - fuel tanks (a bit if self sealing)
    - fuel fire (if not self sealing)
    - canopy/pilot on early planes
    - jamming guns
    - damaging control lines
    - oil on not armoured planes

decrease dmg on:
    - control surfaces, wings, fuselage (need many hits to rip a wing for example)

How about it ?

2. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

I agree with almost everything you said, lepper, except ONE thing.

7mm rarely, if EVER, caused fuel fires. They had no explosives, and the heat they produced was not enough to set fuel on fire.

So no 7mm fuel fires :)

3. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  4. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

I know about that, but there could possibly be a tab or something for "incendiary ammunition" or something along those lines, ya know?

5. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Why on not armoured planes? There were no planes with whole engine covered with armor and hitting a fragile inline engine just anywhere with 7,9mm AP could be enough to cause critical damage.

@Afi
    Ammo belts for .303 cal were mix of AP, incendiary and conventional ammo and incendiary ammo was enough to set dural on fire ;)

6. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

Of course, increase it's power. Especially upon control cables, engines, canopy and make it cause fires.

P.S.

Linguistic note:

Why do we have: "engine is firing" or "cfuel is firing" message?
    The verb form "firing" is used with connotation with guns and other firearms like "gun is firing = is shooting". It should be "engine/fuel is on fire" instead IMHO.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Reduce 30-37mm damage!! At least make it so that need 2 hits :znaika:

8. klaf

klaf Member

i'm for increasing damage caused by 7mm, though i'm afraid

bomber/fighter gunners will be more deadly than ever

greetz

9. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

Um....IRL every 5th bullet was a tracer, which is a 'burning' projectile. AFAIK, enough heat is produced by a tracer to start fuel fire. I have a friend who once went training with our army reserve, and spent more time putting out grass fires started by tracers than playing soldiers.

I vote for fuel fires from 7mm.

regards, Oz

10. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

Sometimes planes need more than one 30mm hit.

I often need 2x30mm for p47. Once I needed 5x30mm for a b17.
    My record is when I survived a 37mm hit in zeke ;-). My engine was blasted and I ditched. Big guns are ok, I think.

As to the bomber gunners, they should be more deadly. If they were effective they could be controlled manually. In Aces High with no otto, the small caliber guns are deadly and buff pilots can easily defend themself. In WB it is better to leave it to the otto because human is not able to hit all the time while otto can trace enemy's cockpit and hit him continuously when at close distance.

Salute!
    Daedal

11. Kutya

Kutya Banned

LEGO-like damage model sucks. You can't do much with it to make it more real.

12. lepper

lepper Well-Known Member

I agree with you that 30-37mm power shold be decreased. Same as 40mm ack. 2 hits to kill plane.

13. Flubby

Flubby Well-Known Member

@Lepper

40 mm Ack killed me with only one hit every time. In RL imho normal fighter planes where shot down with 1-2*30mm so its correct.

Cu Flubby

14. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

yup, 30-37mm shell in most cases caused critical damage to most fighter planes with just 1 hit in any spot. Sometimes planes survived 1 or even 2 hits but these were very rare and they happen in FH too. Leave 30mm as it is, make 20mm more effective (average 3-4 hits to kill a fighter plane) and make 7mm much more effective.

15. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

7mm's (.303) CAN set a fuel on fire already, but only from a very close distance (~d1), and by hitting a fuselage (also, i think it was rather from underneath, look at the link i posted,fuel was set nearly everytime by those shots)

similiar was in RL...sprays from d5, couldn't do much, and wouldn't set a fuel on fire for sure...kinetic energy needed for bullets to go thru the metal plates, sealing material and causing enough heat to start a fire, could only be achieved on very close distances (of course, if all the different ammo types would hit exact the same spot, situation would differ, but that's nearly impossible, eg. AP,HE,Incendiary in a row...)

as for the PK making, that's nonsense, since current dmg model has messed up canopy hits enough (pk's from underneath by 7mm, pk's from d8 etc.), all pilot kills should be disabled imo, since they can't develop a normal dmg model for those

big caliber could be less lethal at long distances (eg. d6,d7,d8)

damaging control lines??? where are the control lines in WB? here, u can only have a control (ailerons, elev etc.) or not to have control...and loosing all of it by a one burst would be quite unrealistic (could be implemented, if there was a variable dmg-control model)...same to guns, they can be either working or not (can't "unjam" due to the chain or magazine moving for ex.)
    , but guns are better idea

16. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

cc stec gotta agree ,sir :)

17. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

Lesio, you can suffer from control lines damage here. Many times my aileron control or elevator control or both were hit and the appropriate message appeared. It looks like loosing the corresponding parts and often causes flames like that: "what the dickens? 2x12mm and all my control surfaces blasted?"

Greetings,
    Daedal

18. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Hitting power of HE cannon shells comes not from their kinetic energy but from the blast of explosive content and shrapnels, so the distance has nothing to do with lethality when speaking about HE 20mm or bigger calibers shells.

19. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

Daedal, that's not a stricte control lines damage imo, but a certain part loose...afaik WB does not model steering damage to this level of complexity

@Dot...let's assume a situation...im flying a cobra and hit u from 600meters...shell head, containing an explosive charge, hits a hull of your plane with a power considerably lower, than it would from let's say, 100 meters...now, explosion breaks off...
    at a close distance, shell has got enough power to "drill" into a metal a little and then explode, causing major damage to the inner parts and an outer plating...at a long distance, shells often didn't even explode, cause they only "scratched" a plane, and if did even, damage was quite lighter, because shrapnels could only "touch" outer construction...it is also plane's speed dependant, cause when the material from the shell is freed, it also has a certain kinetic energy, and the less the difference between both bodies, the more damage can be inflicted...

20. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

IMO this topic would never come up if server time was not 1940. damage model is OK, buffs are hard enough to approach as it is. except for firepower issueSpit I is best early war fighter. if you want to blast the crap out of people in Spit I set convergence to 150 or closer and dont fire outside D3. Thats what battle of britain aces did